[Event] The Gallows

The Gallows

1 minute ago, Jbr said:

I saw a weird one here too 

image.png.a5a6088f05a8ff0ad94d7a3394aeab60.png

I have no plans of being off the front at any time in this race 🤣 at least not on my own. I'm expecting some of the pros to join Dan, I'll race with the dads 😂

Yeah, if I had to guess, you'll go around the dam there, but that'll be well marked

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is the route marked or do I need to load a gpx route onto my watch?

(I'm sure it's on the webpage but I'm being typically 'internet' and asking here)

I checked the website... it is marked but a GPX route needs to be loaded onto your bike computer but it is 'coming soon'.... 

I have no idea where my bike computer is and have no way to mount it on my bars anyway. oh well

Edited by Jewbacca

25 minutes ago, Jbr said:

you should've received an email with a link to the GPX

Shot... I see my registered email address is my old gmail.

Got it!

Legend, ready to go now

Not doing this event this year. I just want to point out how cool the YouTube videos and website for this race is. Who did the editing? It's really good for so few views on YouTube. 

23 hours ago, MongooseMan said:

A potential warning, don't follow this blindly. 

There's a weird out and back as you get onto the road after McGregor (probably a routing artifact?). You really don't want to turn left, only to be told to u-turn 50m later (especially if you're off the front of your group like @Jbr might well be)

image.gif.198ed10f5269f5891a742f5bb4e8e6a8.gif

Satellite and streetview shows you will have to stick close to the dam and only get on Voortrekker where this route shows a u-turn and where the blue route also comes out. 

4 hours ago, V18 said:

Not doing this event this year. I just want to point out how cool the YouTube videos and website for this race is. Who did the editing? It's really good for so few views on YouTube. 

Agreed. They should have done some low cost bids for ads targeting WC based people with a cycling interest. Can't be that expensive, and the videos are really cool.

23 hours ago, Jbr said:

I'll race with the dads 😂

I'm just hoping to not repeat Houw Hoek start.
The route description of the opening 25km (squeeze into hosepipe, off-camber fast turn, dismount river crossing, fast descent with gnarly bumps...) has me concerned though...

9 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

The route description of the opening 25km (squeeze into hosepipe, off-camber fast turn, dismount river crossing, fast descent with gnarly bumps...) has me concerned though...

are you going to be on the same tyres ?

12 minutes ago, Jbr said:

are you going to be on the same tyres ?

Yes, unfortunately. 🙈

Might reduce the pressure a bit. Will measure and consult the Silka Gods

23 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Just saw on their IG the river crossing is a dry river bed, so sandy and big stones, but at least dry feet.

38 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Just saw on their IG the river crossing is a dry river bed, so sandy and big stones, but at least dry feet.

Must remember to practice my dismount/remount skills tomorrow morning, I completely screwed it up at Race to the Sun 🤣

38 minutes ago, bleedToWin said:

Yes, unfortunately. 🙈

Might reduce the pressure a bit. Will measure and consult the Silka Gods

reducing the pressure won't help much with punctures if you don't put inserts in. I'm actually planning on running higher pressures after spending the day feeling rocks hit my rims at Race to the sun, despite the inserts I still had a flat on the first rocky bit, luckily no snake bites so I still had just enough air left in to finish. I would now highly recommend anyone gravel racing to use inserts as they really were race savers the last two races I did.

Edited by Jbr

2 hours ago, bleedToWin said:

not repeat Houw Hoek start.

... and the bit after that?

... and then the bit after that?

Hope the tires manage to miss the sharp edges this time 😎

1 minute ago, Akon said:

... and the bit after that?

... and then the bit after that?

Hope the tires manage to miss the sharp edges this time 😎

Fingers crossed for good luck yes, but yeah referring to Houw Hoek where the pros (or was it only one pro?) and strong dads put 2 min into me in the opening 9km due to a bottle neck into a dismount into a technical rocky descent.

I'm very much a roadie, and not used to a race getting away from me so quickly and easily!