Paarden Island & Woodstock Mile

Johan A Marais

I have been trying for some time now, to engage Alan, Goerdin and Cape Town city, unsuccessfully, via Twitter on the state of the bike path through what I like to call the Paarden Island Mile and Woodstock Mile.

Apart from the path being used as a general dump, there are also multiple informal settlements popping up, some on Transnet property and some on City property.  Apart from this, there are no lights, due to cable theft, and no CCTV, also due to cable and camera theft.

I have tweeted photos and raised concerns.  Again, today I raised the issue of the lights and the fact that we are fast approaching winter with less day light, this with ever increasing informal settlers along both miles make safety a real issue.  Sadly, I expect no response or reaction.

As I do not have many followers on Twitter, I guess the pressure is just not enough, and they tend to ignore these tweets, hoping it will go away.  

But we cannot stay quiet and do nothing.  Please do visit my Twitter (@JohanAMarais) and retweet them.  You will note that I did try to stay level-headed in my tweets, at least for the most of it. 😊

Something can be done or should be done.  There is more than enough technology available to make it safer, even with the challenges they face.

Help me, to help them, to help all of us.

the cycle lane has been a sh*tshow for over 10 years now. nothing has been done to improve it at all. it is hopeless thinking that the city will or can do anything about it. just get on the N1 with the rest of us and stop dreaming about what could've been. 

I agree, that stretch has been a disaster for a long time. You won't catch me dead on that part, even with a small group. Sies, City of Cape Town! You let a jewel rot under your noses!

This goes against what they sell to everyone about making Cape Town a cycling friendly city, also with the view to reduce our ever increasing traffic congestion…

Don’t give up guys, perhaps include pedal power and some of the other twitter handles available 

Alan’s , city of Cape Town etc.