Will a 54cm helmet fit me if my head is 53cm?

LizMTB

I know this sounds silly but I am looking at a helmet that starts at 54cm that’s within my budget but my head is 53cm. 

Will I be able to get by once I’m strapped in or is this a bad idea and I should look for a junior helmet instead?

New to MTB, please be kind

14 hours ago, LizMTB said:

I know this sounds silly but I am looking at a helmet that starts at 54cm that’s within my budget but my head is 53cm. 

Will I be able to get by once I’m strapped in or is this a bad idea and I should look for a junior helmet instead?

New to MTB, please be kind

There are things to consider 

1:budget 

how much am I planning to spend. Lower cost helmets have fewer adjustment capability.

2: helmet internal shape

some helmets are more oval and others are more round when fitted in your head.  Select a helmet with an internal shape that matches your head shape 

3: sizing often ranges 

52-55 generally size small

54-58 generally size medium 

57-61 generally size large

Your head appears to be in the size small range 

4: strap and cradle adjustability 

women often will wear their hair in pony tails or posts or buns. This influences how the cradle will fit. It needs to have sufficient adjustment to allow the cradle to position the helmet correctly 

my recommendation would be to consider the points raised and go and fit on different helmets that fall within your budget then apply the considerations to guide your choice. Get this helmet at a bike shop where the sales person understands your requirements without pushing a sale item or brand

14 hours ago, NC_lurker said:

Best you try on before you buy. Some people have a more oval head shape, some round. Different helmet brands meet this need by being either round or oval. 

^^^ This... super important. I fancied an Abus, but tried it on, and turns out it selfishly doesn't accommodate the slight bump on the top of my head. Now I'll never look as cool as MVDP on a bike!

Also, take your riding shades with you to see if they work with the helmets that work for you.