Looking for a well specced allu ST trail bike

MilkManMike

Hi guys, please help point me in the right direction. I am seemingly looking for something that the bike industry doesn't see a need to provide.

For a whole lot of reasons that probably do not make sense, I do not want a carbon frame. But that doesn’t mean I don't want high end components. I am happy to build up a bike, but its not exactly easy to get good allu frames locally either. My current bike is a 2021 Spark 910, and I am planning on keeping it as my marathon/XC steed. But I want a new bike for trail riding and to travel with later in the year, which will include some light bike packing and some trail park riding and exploring in Europe. I want a bike I wont feel sorry for if it take some rock damage, and also wont mind chucking on a trailer or hooking on a lift that isn’t 100% perfectly padded, this is why I dont want a carbon frame.

Looking for something in the 130-140mm travel range.

I was leaning towards a Stumpjumper, but the only Allu option is horribly specced. The Comp is actually a decent value for money option, and the Expert is really well specced, and basically what I would want, but just on an allu frame. I looked at the frame only options, but they only offer the evo frame in allu, not the ST version.

Are there any other good non carbon 130-140mm frame options I can look at so I can build a nice bike up? I had 3 ST stumpjumpers (1 allu and 2 carbons) before the spark, and loved them all, with the latest version being the best trail bike I have ever ridden, so I am biased towards stumpies, but not dead set on one. But what other options are out there for a really good non-carbon trail bike, either frame only, or full bike that I can just do a few upgrades on?

I did ask at Helderberg Cycles if they could order me a allu frame, but the salesman said they can only get allu frames for warranty replacements, not for retail.

I am in half a mind to just buy the Expert and an entry level allu version, and have them just swop everything over between the two bikes, but who is going to buy a carbon stumpjumper expert, with a bunch of entry level components on it, and at what price? and I dont have the patience and will to sell the parts out separately in the classifieds, as I would rather gauge my eyeballs out with a spoon than deal with a hundred “is it still avaialble” messages.

So, before I end up blowing R155k to get the bike I want, that should only cost R100k, what other options are there? Surely there must be some well specced off the shelf non carbon trail bikes still on the market?

Trek Top Fuel 7, upgrade the fork to Pike and upgrade the brakes, that is a really nice bike, I had one for a short while, and I miss it dearly

I think the TREK website has the Top Fuel as frame only option as well

They used to do the Alu in comp spec.
Back in 2019 Specialized STB did me a solid and ordered 2 bikes with differing kits and swopped out parts but was a much simpler switch. 
I wanted an Alloy ST Stumpy in Comp spec, but the comp spec was only on Alu LT and Carbon ST. So they ordered both and switched out forks and linkages.  

How about the Status, looks like heaps of fun, or too much travel for you?
https://www.specialized.com/za/en/status-160/p/199767?color=320387-199767

I see the US gets a status 140, might be worth asking around?
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/status-140/p/199765?color=320385-199765

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Commencal another option, some super sweet builds out there! 

Was gonna say Commencal but you beat me to it. The Meta is a cracking trail bike with proper spec. It is high up on my want list. And its Alu for the win.

5 hours ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Trek Top Fuel 7, upgrade the fork to Pike and upgrade the brakes, that is a really nice bike, I had one for a short while, and I miss it dearly

I think the TREK website has the Top Fuel as frame only option as well

I will admit, trek wasn’t even on my radar for this. That does seem like the answer to my question. XT/SLX drivetrain runs circles around the SX/NX crap on other similar priced bikes. A fork upgrade,  and a decent set rims, and she’s a beauty. I would give the brakes a try before upgrading, seeing as they are 4 pots, and Shimano trickle down tech has surprised me in the past. I will be calling around trek dealers in the morning.

5 hours ago, Scott roy said:

It may not be to your taste but I’d look at pyga ,the tig trail is perfect for your travel desire 

I wanted to get a TIG trail, but was put off with the fact that their website doesn’t provide local pricing. I know I can call the factory or email them, but it’s 2023, and if I can’t do my tire kicking online first, I’m not going to buy from you. When I replace my Spark with another XC/Marathon bike, I will definately be looking at the Mobu though.

5 hours ago, Danger Dassie said:

Commencal another option, some super sweet builds out there! 

Would love a Meta 140, but who sells them locally? I am willing and able to build up a bike if I have to, but I would much prefer to just buy something readily available. Which is what makes the trek so appealing now that it’s on my radar. (Edit, I see they have a South African online store now. That’s great). Pretty much a coin toss then between the trek EX7 and the meta TR essential then. Meta needs a lot less to be upgraded though… maybe rims… so probably a better buy…

why on earth spez doesn’t offer the allu stumpy in similar build spec makes no sense to me…

Edited by MilkManMike

You mentioned Helderberg Cycles, so I suggest you pop by William's Bike Shop. They had a Ibis on the floor that ticked your boxes. And can also source a Trance X for you. 

I was in the same boat as you two years back, and ended up getting a Scott Genius 950 with serious upgrade plans. It was the only XL trail bike I could get. This bike reminded me that we ride on trails, not on paper. I've replaced grips and tyres. 

Think a Trek Fuel EX might also be worth a look. Much closer to the travel numbers you are looking for than the Top Fuel.

3 hours ago, Scott roy said:

It may not be to your taste but I’d look at pyga ,the tig trail is perfect for your travel desire 

I was going to suggest that too. 120 or 140mm options

(its on my shopping list)

1 hour ago, thebob said:

Think a Trek Fuel EX might also be worth a look. Much closer to the travel numbers you are looking for than the Top Fuel.

It is the Fuel EX 7 (gen 6) I am looking at. Only realised now that Chad actually recommended the top fuel…. Top fuel is a bit too “down country”, and I already have a 120mm XC bike in the Spark…

I’m waiting for Spez to get back to me on a possible upgrade option on a allu stumpie, but if they don’t let me know by close of business today, I am going to pull the trigger on the Trek. 

1 hour ago, splat said:

I was going to suggest that too. 120 or 140mm options

(its on my shopping list)

Not sure why, but when I put pyga into Google, I end up on their European site. But R100k give or take for the Pyga, I think the Trek with XT components is just much better value, even after factoring in a fork upgrade. 

Thank you all for the advice/input. Spez was unable to come to the party with an upgraded Allu Stumpjumper, So I have just sealed the deal on a Trek Fuel EX7. Hopefully picking up Wednesday.

Will give it a bit of a thrashing over the weekend and then make a list of what needs to be upgraded.