THULE BIKE RACK LIGHTS ISSUE

Meg85

Hi Guys

I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

I have a tow bar installed on a VW T-Cross however, my Thule bike rack lights don't work when plugged in. It seems to work for the first few seconds and then just cuts off. I am thinking its either the car "computer" cutting off supply to the lights and needs an override or there is a short somewhere on the actual bike rack wiring and the car is picking this up - cutting off power to the rack electrics.

Do I go to an Auto Electrician? Thule? Who looks at bike rack wiring?

If anyone can shed some light or give me some ideas I would be grateful.

Thanks!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does your bike rack work on another car?

Does another trailer/bike rack work on your T-Cross?

... then take it to the appropriate dealer to fix ...🤷‍♂️

Maybe test the rack on another car. You can open the plug on the rack and see if all the connections are correct and tight or auto electrician should be able to sort it.

images.png

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses.

So my bike rack works on other cars but other bike racks don't work on my car.

If the ignition is turned on, the bike rack lights work, as soon as I start the car the lights go off.

I'm in a pickle 🤯

24 minutes ago, Meg85 said:

Hi Guys

Thanks for the responses.

So my bike rack works on other cars but other bike racks don't work on my car.

If the ignition is turned on, the bike rack lights work, as soon as I start the car the lights go off.

I'm in a pickle 🤯

take rack and car to VW, the problem lies with the car.

It could be a compatibility issue with the car most likely having LED lights and the rack not, therefore the car not knowing what to do with the rack.

6 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

It could be a compatibility issue with the car most likely having LED lights and the rack not, therefore the car not knowing what to do with the rack.

This could be the issue. I had the same but in reverse try to upgrade to LED headlight globes on my Ford and they stop working when starting the car.

10 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

Maybe swapping all the globes on the rack to LED could solve the problem.  But yes consult VW tech workshop first see what they say.

Its your earth connection to the car plug that is faulty which is not making a good connection, or a dry joint. 

Any towbar fitment centre will sort you out in a jiffy, or if you are confident with a small screwdriver, open the car plug yourself and ensure the connections are all good (Use Barry's drawing above, its the same for the car)

12v isnt complicated - but everyone tries to make it complicated in order to fleece you out of your hard earned beer coupons

Thank you.

Was hoping I wouldn't have to go to VW and could go to any auto electrician - they charge R 1,000.00 an hour just for labour.

Pay I must 😅

I had the tow bar installed on Tuesday this week. The guys say they will have a look but im really confused now. Either take directly to VW or back to the tow bar guys.

VW charges insane labour costs.

If it is a towbar fitted by VW, take it back to them and get it sorted. If it is a non-VW towbar fitted by someone else, take it back to the fitment centre to be sorted

Edited by thebob

26 minutes ago, Meg85 said:

I had the tow bar installed on Tuesday this week. The guys say they will have a look but im really confused now. Either take directly to VW or back to the tow bar guys.

VW charges insane labour costs.

take it to the towbar guys and take the rack same time. If the rack works on other cars then it is their wiring. They should be able to sort it out.

9 minutes ago, Andrew64 said:

If it is an aftermarket towbar it will need a trailer towbar module and software from VW

^^rhis is the correct action.

the tow bar module plugs into the cars ECU so it needs to be a VW approved part not a generic as they don’t work reliably.

if it is a vw approved loom then it’s like the earth connection and the cars ecu shutting down the circuit to the tow bar

Yes, its an aftermarket tow bar.

VW wanted to charge R 20,000.00 for tow bar and fitment VS R 4500.00 for aftermarket decent tow bar.

So the question is, if I take it to VW, can they make it work?

Edited by Meg85