Specialized Launch New Levo SL

News bot

17 hours ago, betaboy said:

Beautiful machinery! Those floors are way too clean, that gives me notion you have zero rug rats! 🤭🤭🤭 Several of us on here also could have bought two of those at some stage! Many can back me up on that here! 🤪💪🏻

My rug rat made her grand entrance just as I hit 42. I'm confined to riding analogue for a while yet while she gets schooled. Yesterday though as I was riding up Contermans in a train of e-bikes made me realise how awesome they are.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

My rug rat made her grand entrance just as I hit 42. I'm confined to riding analogue for a while yet while she gets schooled. Yesterday though as I was riding up Contermans in a train of e-bikes made me realise how awesome they are.

… don’t go to the dark side! Stay in human power. Plus must new motor laws have them capped at 25kph. So most are a tad over rated me thinks…🤔

20 minutes ago, betaboy said:

new motor laws have them capped at 25kph

Which is totally fine. None of the experienced riders I know who are now on EBs care at all about top-end speed, we have them so we can climb faster and self-shuttle.

My average speed for yesterday’s 15km/400m elevation ride was 16km/h.

Edited by LazyTrailRider
Typo

4 hours ago, betaboy said:

… don’t go to the dark side! Stay in human power. Plus must new motor laws have them capped at 25kph. So most are a tad over rated me thinks…🤔

3 hours ago, LazyTrailRider said:

Which is totally fine. None of the experienced riders I know who are now on EBs care at all about top-end speed, we have them so we can climb faster and self-shuttle.

My average speed for yesterday’s 15km/400m elevation ride was 16km/h.

I'm of the opinion that an e-bike is what I need. For me climbing is merely an evil necessity for the reason I'm riding in the first place, which is the descent bit. The only reason I go up is so that I can go back down again. If I can do that more often in a session I'll be happier. Yesterday I was the one not stopping whenever the train stopped so that I can maybe join in for one ride down. I managed to descend Supertubes alone and then continued on to Rhino in time to see everyone come up from the bottom of Happy Hops. By which time I was tanked. Either don't ride with e-bikes, or join them on one yourself.

My average was about 8kph on the mix of ascent and descent. That brings perspective into crystal clear focus.

22 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I'm of the opinion that an e-bike is what I need. For me climbing is merely an evil necessity for the reason I'm riding in the first place, which is the descent bit. The only reason I go up is so that I can go back down again. If I can do that more often in a session I'll be happier. Yesterday I was the one not stopping whenever the train stopped so that I can maybe join in for one ride down. I managed to descend Supertubes alone and then continued on to Rhino in time to see everyone come up from the bottom of Happy Hops. By which time I was tanked. Either don't ride with e-bikes, or join them on one yourself.

My average was about 8kph on the mix of ascent and descent. That brings perspective into crystal clear focus.

What about incorporating some training in on the uphills, so that they become easier, and you can ride more laps. I am way fitter than all my riding buddies, and 6 months or so ago (when I was fitter than I am now), I could bang out 2 or 3 top to bottom (dh1 down to the gate) runs of tokai on the enduro bike.

I also ride only for the descent, but I can assure you that improving cardio and strength on the climbs will translate to how fast you can ride down, and how long you can ride hard without getting fatigued. This is the exact reason why world cup DH racers do a helluva lot of cardio. They ain't riding up, but they know it will allow them to perform at their best going down.

*Also earning your turns is a cool feeling. Very underrated IMO

Edited by MTBRIDER1234

20 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

For me climbing is merely an evil necessity for the reason I'm riding in the first place, which is the descent bit

Spot on for most trail/enduro riders. You’ll love an EB.

Strangely, on my gravel bike (which I use as a road bike 95% of the time) I love climbing. I put roughly 10x more miles in on the road, so when I’m on the trail bike, I’m there for the descents and don’t want to waste unnecessary effort ascending.

2 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

What about incorporating some training in on the uphills, so that they become easier, and you can ride more laps.

You can be on top form and still have more fun shuttling with e-power. When I was racing XCO and marathon years back, climbing was a large part of why I was on the trails. Now? Pffft.

47 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Sounds like the deal is done… some lovely new models, checkout all the offering they were at Sea Otter Expo. Even F. Moser have a hybrid model.👍🏻

39 minutes ago, LazyTrailRider said:

You can be on top form and still have more fun shuttling with e-power. When I was racing XCO and marathon years back, climbing was a large part of why I was on the trails. Now? Pffft.

Yeah for sure, but I believe that getting better cardiovascular fitness, and improved muscle endurance and possibly strength can only be a good thing.

I also like how my non E bike handles. It is so much more fun on a lighter bike. Yes E bikes do plough through rough stuff, but there is something fun about a nimble, flickable bike. The Levo SL is light, but it is still about 3kg heavier than my enduro bike. Would it feel planted? Yes. Would it be willing to throw the tail out and catch air off every little bump? I doubt it.

Also I am of the opinion that if you go for an E bike, go for a full power one. Normal guys generally can't keep up with an SL on the climbs, and SL riders can't keep up with normal E bike riders. So you are stuck in a bit of a niche, when it is only generally fun to ride with other SL riders, who are few and far between. If I had to pick an SL E bike, I would take a Kenevo hands down.

1 hour ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

What about incorporating some training in on the uphills, so that they become easier, and you can ride more laps. I am way fitter than all my riding buddies, and 6 months or so ago (when I was fitter than I am now)

In COVID year I was probably the fittest I've ever been since I was averaging about 150km per week, but the last two years I've been riding mostly trail only on weekends and no more midweek riding due to a mad work schedule that doesn't really allow morning rides. (At least that's what I'm telling myself and I'm sticking with that).

I know I need to increase my riding frequency but shees tyres are expensive these days so just going for a tar dash is not something I'm super keen on.

10 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

In COVID year I was probably the fittest I've ever been since I was averaging about 150km per week, but the last two years I've been riding mostly trail only on weekends and no more midweek riding due to a mad work schedule that doesn't really allow morning rides. (At least that's what I'm telling myself and I'm sticking with that).

I know I need to increase my riding frequency but shees tyres are expensive these days so just going for a tar dash is not something I'm super keen on.

Yeah, tar does go through tires quite fast. Especially maxxgrip tires.

The enduro bike also feels appalling to pedal on the road. I don't have any lockout for the front or rear suspension (charger 2.1 and a remote lockout shock with remote removed), coupled with sticky DH tires, slack(ish) and long(ish) geometry, and you have a bike that handles like a boat, with the turning radius of an oil tanker. 

But getting fit is so worth it. It sucks so much in the beginning, but when you get to the point where you can pedal the enduro bike up and chat at the same time, it adds to the fun. I also like to race E bikers, but that's not as easy now that I have moved on from the old XC hardtail..

6 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Yeah, tar does go through tires quite fast. Especially maxxgrip tires.

The enduro bike also feels appalling to pedal on the road. I don't have any lockout for the front or rear suspension (charger 2.1 and a remote lockout shock with remote removed), coupled with sticky DH tires, slack(ish) and long(ish) geometry, and you have a bike that handles like a boat, with the turning radius of an oil tanker. 

But getting fit is so worth it. It sucks so much in the beginning, but when you get to the point where you can pedal the enduro bike up and chat at the same time, it adds to the fun. I also like to race E bikers, but that's not as easy now that I have moved on from the old XC hardtail..

Getting a hardtail with 45C gravel tires opened a new world of practice opportunities for me.

And really saves my MTB tyres

Doing more regular core workouts really helps to stay fresh on the bike.

4 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Guess I'm still OK on beer power with 14.2kph average yesterday with seized derailleur pully 🤣 but your bike looks so much better than the Ebikes that where there 👌🏻

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

2 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Especially maxxgrip tires.

Yep. Assegai maxxgrip upfront. Soon to be DHR II at the back. 💸💸💸

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

Getting a hardtail with 45C gravel tires opened a new world of practice opportunities for me.

In a moment of weakness I gave a perfectly rideable HT hanging on my garage wall to my nephew. I guess I need a second bike again. It's going to be fun convincing wifey.

Perhaps I should just buy a set of gravel tyres and fit them to the set of Spez Roval wheels I have in storage and use them as the midweek wheels. 

Here's a hack and bodge question. Would an 11 speed GX cassette fit a NX Eagle derailleur? Mmmmm.

11 minutes ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

Guess I'm still OK on beer power with 15kph average yesterday 🤣 but your bike looks so much better than the Ebikes that where there 👌🏻

Thanks, I guess . I saw some sexy bikes though.