News bot

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Nah He Doesn't Ride  Much !

He has tested a .... uhm sorry ... confidentail .... yada yada ....

Let's just say he has done a good number of weekend rides on e-bikes :thumbup:

For the shear fun and sense of accomplishment factor he still prefers his trusty HT.  But he has a good and solid understanding and appreciation of what ebikes are capable off.

1 hour ago, ChrisF said:

He has tested a .... uhm sorry ... confidentail .... yada yada ....

Let's just say he has done a good number of weekend rides on e-bikes :thumbup:

For the shear fun and sense of accomplishment factor he still prefers his trusty HT.  But he has a good and solid understanding and appreciation of what ebikes are capable off.

Look at his stats ! 15Km per Week

Edited by dasilvarsa

17 hours ago, Robbie Stewart said:

Yep. Assegai maxxgrip upfront. Soon to be DHR II at the back. 💸💸💸

In a moment of weakness I gave a perfectly rideable HT hanging on my garage wall to my nephew. I guess I need a second bike again. It's going to be fun convincing wifey.

Perhaps I should just buy a set of gravel tyres and fit them to the set of Spez Roval wheels I have in storage and use them as the midweek wheels. 

Here's a hack and bodge question. Would an 11 speed GX cassette fit a NX Eagle derailleur? Mmmmm.

If it's an 11 speed derailleur, yes, it will work. You must ensure that you have an xd driver freehub body, and not a microspline or HG. 

I run a GX cassette with NX derailleur and shifter, and it works no different from full NX, or full GX. People often think you have to run the same groupset for it to work well, but this isn't true. I have even run SRAM derailleurs and Shimano shifters with no issues.

I do however, recommend binning NX and getting GX or better. My NX derailleur worked fine for the first 6 months or so, but now it gives issues. (and before anyone asks, yes I have done all the DIY mods/fixes to get it to run better) I am at some point going to go X01, as it is the perfect sweet spot between extreme reliability and cost IMO. The best budget (and bulletproof) 12 speed setup is probably GX cassette, XX1 chain, X01 derailleur and GX shifter. But now I am just going off topic...

1 hour ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

If it's an 11 speed derailleur, yes, it will work. You must ensure that you have an xd driver freehub body, and not a microspline or HG. 

12 speed rd with an 11 speed cassette on HG hub. So if I read you correct it's a no?

Edited by Robbie Stewart

1 hour ago, dasilvarsa said:

Look at his stats ! 15Km per Week

strava ?

he hardly ever use a cycling computer .....  OLD SCHOOL, for such a young man ... :thumbup:

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

12 speed rd with an 11 speed cassette on HG hub. So if I read you correct it's a no?

If it's a 12 speed derailleur and shifter, it may work (I believe 12 speed and 11 speed shifters have a different pull ratio). It will take setting the limit screw to the point where you don't have the last click. Depending on how far it can screw in, you may need to buy a longer bolt. 

It will take a lot of playing around, but you may get it to work. I know guys who use 11 speed derailleurs on 12 speed setups, so that makes me think the opposite may be possible.

12 minutes ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

If it's a 12 speed derailleur and shifter, it may work (I believe 12 speed and 11 speed shifters have a different pull ratio). It will take setting the limit screw to the point where you don't have the last click. Depending on how far it can screw in, you may need to buy a longer bolt. 

It will take a lot of playing around, but you may get it to work. I know guys who use 11 speed derailleurs on 12 speed setups, so that makes me think the opposite may be possible.

I just want to run the cassette in the mid range on the spare wheel on the Melkbos cycle path which is as flat a road as you could hope to get. I don't see why it should need fiddling around with the limit screws. That will effectively turn my bike into a second bike using a different cassette on faster gravel tyres for week day rides which I need to start doing again. I just don't want to do it on my trail rubber.

1 hour ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I just want to run the cassette in the mid range on the spare wheel on the Melkbos cycle path which is as flat a road as you could hope to get. I don't see why it should need fiddling around with the limit screws. That will effectively turn my bike into a second bike using a different cassette on faster gravel tyres for week day rides which I need to start doing again. I just don't want to do it on my trail rubber.

If you want the whole gear range, it will take a lot of fiddling with the limit screws and a lot of tweaking. No question about that.

I have never tried to set gears so they only work in the midrange, but I suspect it will be far easier, as long as you don't go too far up or down the cassette. Assuming you work on your own bike, why not try it if you already have the parts, and it could make for a few hours of fun on the weekend.

1 hour ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

If you want the whole gear range, it will take a lot of fiddling with the limit screws and a lot of tweaking. No question about that.

I have never tried to set gears so they only work in the midrange, but I suspect it will be far easier, as long as you don't go too far up or down the cassette. Assuming you work on your own bike, why not try it if you already have the parts, and it could make for a few hours of fun on the weekend.

Yeah I'm keen. Let's just get behind this mountain surfing expedition at Jonkers on Sunday and then I'm going to start messing around for sure to see what's possible.

13 hours ago, Me rida my bicycle said:

I believe in not over training 😂

Armchair Cyclists.

Edited by dasilvarsa

See thats the difference between a real armchair cyclist and one you bump into at the trails at any given day haha. 

The one talks and cares about strava stalking and the other is busy riding, enjoying his bike with friends.

my strava prolly says I only push my bike out the garage and back every week🤣

2 minutes ago, MORNE said:

See thats the difference between a real armchair cyclist and one you bump into at the trails at any given day haha. 

The one talks and cares about strava stalking and the other is busy riding, enjoying his bike with friends.

K@k Story if I ever heard one.

You Okes even Take Pictures Every Ride to post on Social Media.

More Like Laptop Cyclists. (Lazy Ones that are Slow and fall off the Bike a Lot)

26 minutes ago, MORNE said:

Dis OK dis nog 'n ernstige man daai wat nie sal kan saam speel nie (of is dit dieselfde een) 😂 mag nie stop vir 'n foto dit neek sy strava tyd op... En jy waag nie val nie want, wat as jou garmin breek dan kan jy nie weer ry nie 🤣😂

En as niemand lag wanneer jy val nie het jy nie regte pêlle nie 😜

Edited by Me rida my bicycle

On 5/21/2023 at 2:38 PM, betaboy said:

… don’t go to the dark side! Stay in human power. Plus must new motor laws have them capped at 25kph. So most are a tad over rated me thinks…🤔

The Levo and Levo SL are governed to 32kph and then Terro X and Creo are  45kph ;)