Decent Road Tubes

love2fly

15 hours ago, love2fly said:

It's not the puncture vulnerability but the pressure loss in 24 hours. Like I said, I only used to pump my previous ones once a week....

Do you have latex tubes? They are known to lose pressure quikly. Butyl tubes should not be losing pressure that quickly.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Gr3mlin131 said:

Do you have latex tubes? They are known to lose pressure quikly. Butyl tubes should not be losing pressure that quickly.

Have no idea, bought a Kenda at Cyclelab and inherited a Spez, need to do some research...

6 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I've not had problems with Kenda at all, actually I think I may be running one in the rear at the moment and I only top that up maybe once a month.

Do you not perhaps have some small leaks ? because even the cheapest tubes tend to hold air for longer than 24 hours when not punctured.

Brand new Kenda. And I add 100ml sealant just as insurance

Edited by love2fly

I have used the cheapest non brand /super market tubes in both road and mtb wheels and never experienced a tyre not holding pressure for less than 24 hours . Kenda tubes have always been good to me and not let me down . Punctures are not the fault of the brand of tube you use but were  and how careful you ride . As tyres wear thinner they are more subject to punctures from glass , sharp stones and shards of metal .Im currently using Pirelli tubes on my Monson HT ( slick 29 X  1.40  tyres and pireli 700x40  tubes ) and ride every day . I might pump those tyres once a month to 4 bar . 

Have you checked your tyres for a possible tiny sharp thorn, wire or such that is puncturing your tube? 

I’ve had plenty kenda tubes in my tyres and never had an issue like that… 

6 hours ago, Mamil said:

I find that some tubes leak a little more than others without any correlation with brand

Can attest to this, 2 new tubes that are around 2/3 weeks old and the one is slightly lower in terms of pressure than the other, not talking a lot, but enough to warrant double checking it.

I don't care which tube it is, cheap or expensive. Pump both up then stick a thorn in each and see which one wins the deflation race. Despite winning, both contestants will be deflated😂. Over about 7 years, I have had more punctures (3) on my car tyres (due to unavoidable potholes) than on my bike tyres.

18 minutes ago, tjommies3 said:

I don't care which tube it is, cheap or expensive. Pump both up then stick a thorn in each and see which one wins the deflation race. Despite winning, both contestants will be deflated😂. Over about 7 years, I have had more punctures (3) on my car tyres (due to unavoidable potholes) than on my bike tyres.

Definitely not a puncture. Double checked and each has around 100ml Enduroseal for peace of mind. That way I get maybe 1 puncture a year with Gatorskins.

I'm off the bike for the next 12 weeks due to a Brachytherapy procedure but will try some Conti tubes when I'm back 😎

19 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

If valve cores are removable, make sure they are tighten. 

Yip, I do that with the tool.

20 hours ago, Mongoose! said:

just makes a mess.

the inside of a tube is different from the inside of a tyre - maybe it is that white powder?

the friction between the tire and tube makes it impossible to seal from inside

Trust me, I have tried it with many different variations.  

On a road tire the volume is small and pressure high  ... mtb vice versa bigger volume lower pressure

I’ve seen tubes sold off the shelf with sealant already in it. I have buddies that use this and swear by it. Even have one extra in their saddle bag. Maybe those don’t have the white powder? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I use these, only requires a little pomp maybe every 3 weeks. I’m a heavy Ike so like the firmness of 7bar at 6bar I feel it’s a bit too bouncy for my liking.

i use the 60mm in a 50mm profile wheel.

image.jpg

11 minutes ago, throttles said:

I’ve seen tubes sold off the shelf with sealant already in it. I have buddies that use this and swear by it. Even have one extra in their saddle bag. Maybe those don’t have the white powder? 🤷🏻‍♂️

I prefer Enduro seal also in my MTB - It's never let me down

9 minutes ago, throttles said:

I use these, only requires a little pomp maybe every 3 weeks. I’m a heavy Ike so like the firmness of 7bar at 6bar I feel it’s a bit too bouncy for my liking.

i use the 60mm in a 50mm profile wheel.

image.jpg

That's the one..... 👍

35 minutes ago, love2fly said:

Brachytherapy procedur

I feel we've glossed over this.

All the best man, hope all goes well