Magalies monster - delivered for some riders🤣

Japie Nieuwoudt

1 hour ago, FondTF2 said:

Remember that climb well.  First and only time I did it was in 2015. Still have the hole in my knee (scar now) from this race.

I also do have my fair share of title deeds along the monster route over the years. The very last one was somewhat of an embarrassment. The last 2km before the finish is that small water crossing and that year there was some more water flowing, anyway came flying down and there was this slower rider(possibly from the shorter route) in front of me and I thought that I would cross the water on his right hand side. In the water I was abruptly stopped by this large rock in water and fell right in front of the photographers just to be presented later with the images of me in the water.

Back to the topic, maybe the route did not deliver to your expectations, but surely there were also some funny enjoyable moments in the race.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, JJDT said:

I also do have my fair share of title deeds along the monster route over the years. The very last one was somewhat of an embarrassment. The last 2km before the finish is that small water crossing and that year there was some more water flowing, anyway came flying down and there was this slower rider(possibly from the shorter route) in front of me and I thought that I would cross the water on his right hand side. In the water I was abruptly stopped by this large rock in water and fell right in front of the photographers just to be presented later with the images of me in the water.

Back to the topic, maybe the route did not deliver to your expectations, but surely there were also some funny enjoyable moments in the race.

Lols - that same rock got me, but I was thankfully pushing. Other people were pushing slowly on the left so I thought I’d just quickly nip past on the right and hop on again. The stream said No. Can imagine riding into the rock must have made for some great pics. Sharing is caring. 

1 hour ago, JJDT said:

https://www.facebook.com/reel/769427604526474?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V&mibextid=0NULKw

Edited by RobynE
Broken link

My brother and I did the Monster in 2006 as relatively new mountain bikers ... did a lot of walking and stumbling on that tough climb and I took quite a hard fall on a descent along a fence not to far from the end. Didn't return for a very long time,  the emotional scaring was just too much. Almost 5:42:?? of pain and misery 😥

In 2012, yes it took 6 years to get over it,  I returned alone, my boet said 'skud jou kop hy raas bietjie'

A lot more training, less weight and better skills and very little walking and I had a decent ride, 4:45:00 over an hour better. I felt I had my revenge and never returned. It was also one of the events where I realised that it didn't matter how much tech skills I learnt there was a limit (genetic, mental, life preservation?) to what I was capable of and tried to select events more to my ability

Sorry I don't remember anything about the food afterwards

So in quick summary: Route was unrideable in parts according to OP. That's his opinion, which he is entitled to. And he was apparently backed up by other riders. All non-riders of this particular event can't really comment on the specific sections OP is referring to.

However, the word "unrideable" is not inclusive and exclusionary. A route is judged from the view (skill, talent, fitness etc.) of the beholder. This is also in part dependent on expectations.

What is unclear (and only one poster noted this), is how the condition of the track evolved in the run-up to the events' day and what the organisers felt necessary in preparation of the route, how important they felt making certain adjustments were called for and if a full route inspection by a commissaire actually took place. It is absolutely feasible that the huge amounts of rain dislodged a small rock slide/fall and was responsible for a larger placement of rocks on route. Certain things are also outside of control of organisers. I also feel, expecting them to possibly invest large resources in removing rocks (how big were they - would heavy equipment have been necessary?) is a bit much. Sometimes parts of a route/course will become unrideable (even in contrast to a previous edition) - just jump off, hike and re-mount and carry on. Judge your ride on your own output, challenge completed and lessons learnt. Each ride is unique and provides lessons and improvements.

It would be interesting to hear the feedback of any pro who rode, as well as others on these particular sections.

So, to close dear OP: in my humble opinion, just because a section or sections were not rideable (due to possible various circumstances) shouldn't determine the overall delivery of this event. The Monster has traditionally marketed itself as tough - sometimes its tougherer than previous. Just go with the flow and try again next year. I would do it yearly (I've done it twice), if I wasn't based in CT.

Lastly, the food issue: you should immediately raise this with the respective caterer. Not much an organiser can do there, other than not invite them back (IF this was a common experience of many customers).

Peace out

7 hours ago, Gnarly said:

I did that race long time ago, when Not so Big Ben was Big Ben, can't remember the year, my therapist said I should remove it from my memory bank.   

When @Gnarly says its TOO gnarly .... 😋