Cypher RS Carbon Pro vs Cypher 120 Carbon Pro (2022 models)

Transformer09

19 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Do You Clean The Cassette on The Wheel with the Wheel on the Bike ?

Yes,

but I remove it after about 10 rides to disassemble and rub individual cogs clean. Check the contact surfaces, bearings, free-wheel ratchets, etc and oil/grease where required.

When cleaning on the bike, - if you didn't over-wax the chain and clean regularly, the cassette does not build-up so much gunk.  If the soap brush wasn't enough,  don't use/soak it with paraffin etc. I just wet the flat nylon brush (with a paint safe, non-caustic, acid free ,  water soluble like repsol degreaser. ) The (see pic) nylon brushes don't hold much liquid so it just wets the surface and the long thin bristles get into the required dirt spots. And then water hose off well, followed by rag held tight/flat to rub clean/dry between cogs.

20230914_101916.jpg.3d4aec79bdb9eb7accc7c14c236e8089.jpg

However, I don't skip a full removal and cleanup if I had a very wet muddy ride or deeper water crossing (example river at Boschendal), or done an event where I know they used high pressure cleaners, I check all bearing (including BB, pedals and wheelhubs) remove everything to check, clean-out and grease.

Don't forget to first remove your rear derailleur battery !!

forkit - this is quickly turning into a full service manual.

Edited by Max Headroom

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Yes,

but I remove it after about 10 rides to disassemble and rub individual cogs clean. Check the contact surfaces, bearings, free-wheel ratchets, etc and oil/grease where required.

When cleaning on the bike, - if you didn't over-wax the chain and clean regularly, the cassette does not build-up so much gunk.  If the soap brush wasn't enough,  don't use/soak it with paraffin etc. I just wet the flat nylon brush (with a paint safe, non-caustic, acid free ,  water soluble like repsol degreaser. ) The (see pic) nylon brushes don't hold much liquid so it just wets the surface and the long thin bristles get into the required dirt spots. And then water hose off well, followed by rag held tight/flat to rub clean/dry between cogs.

20230914_101916.jpg.3d4aec79bdb9eb7accc7c14c236e8089.jpg

However, I don't skip a full removal and cleanup if I had a very wet muddy ride or deeper water crossing (example river at Boschendal), or done an event where I know they used high pressure cleaners, I check all bearing (including BB, pedals and wheelhubs) remove everything to check, clean-out and grease.

Don't forget to first remove your rear derailleur battery !!

forkit - this is quickly turning into a full service manual.

with all that stripping and cleaning when do you get a chance to ride your bike :) 

1 hour ago, The Ouzo said:

with all that stripping and cleaning when do you get a chance to ride your bike :) 

I'm retired 😛  ... so no problem with that 😎

19 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

I used to do it also but I Stopped because it cost me 4 Bearings and the Hassle of Changing Them.

The Degreaser/Paraffin Bridged the 2RS Seals and made the Bearings Noisy, Moer Noisy.

Yes ingress can be a problem, but I've only ever experienced this issue once due to neglect of my own volition. 
But sticking with the servicing every few months avoids this, in particular using the marine grease as a barrier.

• 6 months later...
On 8/25/2023 at 3:49 PM, Dup08 said:

@Transformer09

My wife has the same bike. Do yourself a favor and remove the plastic bottom bracket/downtube procter and put a layer of frame protection in that area.

Dirt and small rocks tend to get between the frame and the protector and scratches the frame quite heavily. Her bike has some serious paint damage as a result.

image.png.12084d1296b7ed6e90dee2fd5b2cb07e.png

Thanks to your feedback here, along with others who reached out, we've managed to improve the downtube protection on the 2nd Gen Cypher range.

See it here.

17 minutes ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:

Thanks to your feedback here, along with others who reached out, we've managed to improve the downtube protection on the 2nd Gen Cypher range.

See it here.

Thanks @Titan Racing Bikes

Read the article yesterday and specifically saw the paragraph addressing the issue.
I ended up applying multiple layers of PPF, but I suspect some users might end up removing the plastic guard in totality to avoid further issues.

New bike looks proper and glad these small growing pains are being sorted, especially through listening to customer feedback, not a lot of brands goes this route. Also quite stocked that the small frame now also takes 2 x water bottles. Might be an option when we upgrade for my wife in the future again.

Congratulations on the launch!!