Cypher RS Carbon Pro vs Cypher 120 Carbon Pro (2022 models)

Transformer09

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, Transformer09 said:

Amazing bike. Loving every single moment, even climbing seems easier (Not Tierkop 😂 )  on this bike compared to my previous 2018 Scott Spark 940. We are blessed with some of the best roads and views here in George. 

IMG_4135.jpeg

Compliments to the Photographer. that's an Award winning picture.

Sometimes I don't even want to ride this bike as even the slightest dust on the bike upsets me, l handle this bike with great care, care that my wife does not even know 😂 Never even washed my car as delicate as this beauty before 🤣 

Nah I'm just kidding.

I have a few questions for all you experts if you can advise and help: 

> Do I need to clean the group set/chain on a regular basis as I have noticed dust on the gears which makes like a putty paste after a few rides?

> Also, how much chain lube do you apply after cleaning? A few drops or how does it work? 

> Is the best way to clean the gears with that chain cleaner liquid and a brush? Tried it but it does not seem to clean the gears 100% unless I am doing something wrong

> What do you do to protect the bottom of your frame from gravel as its a gloss frame and even the slightest scratch is visible on the blue frame?

IMG_4223.jpeg

Edited by Transformer09

Take the Cassette out to Clean It.

Cleaning the Cassette in Situ will Allow Degreaser to flow into the Hub which Could damage the bearings in the hub.

The Chain Requires more than a Few drops of Lube.

If you have the bike serviced at the LBS they will know what to do.

@Transformer09

My wife has the same bike. Do yourself a favor and remove the plastic bottom bracket/downtube procter and put a layer of frame protection in that area.

Dirt and small rocks tend to get between the frame and the protector and scratches the frame quite heavily. Her bike has some serious paint damage as a result.

image.png.12084d1296b7ed6e90dee2fd5b2cb07e.png

1 minute ago, Dup08 said:

@Transformer09

My wife has the same bike. Do yourself a favor and remove the plastic bottom bracket/downtube procter and put a layer of frame protection in that area.

Dirt and small rocks tend to get between the frame and the protector and scratches the frame quite heavily. Her bike has some serious paint damage as a result.

No One Looks at the Undercarriage !!!

On 8/25/2023 at 3:49 PM, Dup08 said:

@Transformer09

That's good to know. Well, not great news, but now we know about this. We'll pass this on to the team to see what we can do as a permanent solution. 

On 8/25/2023 at 3:51 PM, dasilvarsa said:

No One Looks at the Undercarriage !!!

oh you're talking about bikes. oops. ;) 

On 8/25/2023 at 3:49 PM, Dup08 said:

@Transformer09

This is a good point, my Orbea Oiz has a plastic wrap-around chainstay protector and while it protects the chainstay from chain slap, it also gathers up a ton of crud underneath it in muddy conditions and causes friction damage to the paint. I make a habit of removing and cleaning it regularly to avoid this.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Still want some more advice on the below questions if possible please. 

Would appreciate the help. 

Regards

Johann

> Do I need to clean the group set/chain on a regular basis as I have noticed dust on the gears which makes like a putty paste after a few rides?

> Also, how much chain lube do you apply after cleaning? A few drops or how does it work? 

> Is the best way to clean the gears with that chain cleaner liquid and a brush? Tried it but it does not seem to clean the gears 100% unless I am doing something wrong

> What do you do to protect the bottom of your frame from gravel as its a gloss frame and even the slightest scratch is visible on the blue frame?

Edited by Transformer09

1 hour ago, Transformer09 said:

Hi all,

Still want some more advice on the below questions if possible please. 

Would appreciate the help. 

Regards

Johann

Visit your LBS they can Show you how to lube the chain in Store.

On 8/25/2023 at 1:12 PM, Transformer09 said:

Sometimes I don't even want to ride this bike as even the slightest dust on the bike upsets me, l handle this bike with great care, care that my wife does not even know 😂 Never even washed my car as delicate as this beauty before 🤣 

Nah I'm just kidding.

IMG_4223.jpeg

As the other hubbers are basically saying just take it to the LBS,  I'll tell you what I do:

1) Do not take it to the LBS.

Your question - must it be cleaned ?

Its not just the Chain and Cassette that needs cleaning - Clean the Chain, Cassette, Chainring and Derailleur - it is the simplest and most regular maintenance requirement specially on a MTB.  Anyone can do it and it takes even less time than driving/riding your bike to a LBS - not to mention the expense.

2) Yes, if you ride on dirt it is important that you: - i) use a dry chain lube and   ii) clean these components regularly.  Once you get to the putty/paste stage - in shows excessive lube and dirt which is basically a grinding paste  destroying your components. 

3) Clean these 4 items after every ride, even if your bike itself can skip a wash - not so for the drive-train parts which have constant friction.

If my drive-train looks clean after one ride, I might give it a good rub-down with a rag (back-spin pedals) and add a little lube, but I never ride it twice without a proper clean.

My regular cleaning process:

a) To clean the dirt, dust and mud - Soak the bike and all part with soap including the chain and rest of drive chain parts.. Then, leave it for a few minutes for the soap to penetrate - then rinse with a hose on low pressure. This basically cleans the bike frame.

b) I always use a quick link on my chains so its easy to remove it for a proper clean.  Remove the chain. Take a thin flat screwdriver and scrape off all the remaining crud  (lube-lumps, paste, gunge etc) off the Chainring, the Cassette sprockets, and both Derailleurs pulleys and cage. Rub the D-cage and tension and guide pulleys clean with a rag and inspect motion and condition.

c) Clean between sprockets with a cassette brush dipped in soap - ( if necessary, I also use pipe-cleaners)

d). I prefer paraffin as a solvent to clean my chains (place the chain in a  paraffin bath/dish and shake till clean - repeat if still not clean after first go) Then I wash the chain with soap to remove all the paraffin - and leave it in the sun for a few minutes to dry)  ( The dirty paraffin gets poured over old rags or dry used tea-leaf bags kept in a empty energy drink tub - The tea-leaf-bags etc  soaked items later used for fantastic fire-starters )

e) I then place the dry chain out flat on newspaper - rollers exposed - and place one drop of pre-warmed wax lube (from holder in a cup of hot water) on each link of the chain and wait for it to soak in and dry before wiping it down with a rag and refitting to the bike.

4) Regarding frame protection - buy the ridiculously expensive clear film bike protection at your LBS - or get off-cuts from the local vinyl-sign maker - or buy 'Gorilla clear tape'

Ok, that was a long answer ; but really not long or difficult process that I follow.

Edited by Max Headroom
spelling

2 hours ago, Max Headroom said:

As the other hubbers are basically saying just take it to the LBS,  I'll tell you what I do:

1) Do not take it to the LBS.

Your question - must it be cleaned ?

Its not just the Chain and Cassette that needs cleaning - Clean the Chain, Cassette, Chainring and Derailleur - it is the simplest and most regular maintenance requirement specially on a MTB.  Anyone can do it and it takes even less time than driving/riding your bike to a LBS - not to mention the expense.

2) Yes, if you ride on dirt it is important that you: - i) use a dry chain lube and   ii) clean these components regularly.  Once you get to the putty/paste stage - in shows excessive lube and dirt which is basically a grinding paste  destroying your components. 

3) Clean these 4 items after every ride, even if your bike itself can skip a wash - not so for the drive-train parts which have constant friction.

If my drive-train looks clean after one ride, I might give it a good rub-down with a rag (back-spin pedals) and add a little lube, but I never ride it twice without a proper clean.

My regular cleaning process:

a) To clean the dirt, dust and mud - Soak the bike and all part with soap including the chain and rest of drive chain parts.. Then, leave it for a few minutes for the soap to penetrate - then rinse with a hose on low pressure. This basically cleans the bike frame.

b) I always use a quick link on my chains so its easy to remove it for a proper clean.  Remove the chain. Take a thin flat screwdriver and scrape off all the remaining crud  (lube-lumps, paste, gunge etc) off the Chainring, the Cassette sprockets, and both Derailleurs pulleys and cage. Rub the D-cage and tension and guide pulleys clean with a rag and inspect motion and condition.

c) Clean between sprockets with a cassette brush dipped in soap - ( if necessary, I also use pipe-cleaners)

d). I prefer paraffin as a solvent to clean my chains (place the chain in a  paraffin bath/dish and shake till clean - repeat if still not clean after first go) Then I wash the chain with soap to remove all the paraffin - and leave it in the sun for a few minutes to dry)  ( The dirty paraffin gets poured over old rags or dry used tea-leaf bags kept in a empty energy drink tub - The tea-leaf-bags etc  soaked items later used for fantastic fire-starters )

e) I then place the dry chain out flat on newspaper - rollers exposed - and place one drop of pre-warmed wax lube (from holder in a cup of hot water) on each link of the chain and wait for it to soak in and dry before wiping it down with a rag and refitting to the bike.

4) Regarding frame protection - buy the ridiculously expensive clear film bike protection at your LBS - or get off-cuts from the local vinyl-sign maker - or buy 'Gorilla clear tape'

Ok, that was a long answer ; but really not long or difficult process that I follow.

Do You Clean The Cassette on The Wheel with the Wheel on the Bike ?

3 hours ago, dasilvarsa said:

Do You Clean The Cassette on The Wheel with the Wheel on the Bike ?

Yip I do, but every few months the freehub gets a regular clean and service as well with a dab of marine grease on the outside. 

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Yip I do, but every few months the freehub gets a regular clean and service as well with a dab of marine grease on the outside. 

I used to do it also but I Stopped because it cost me 4 Bearings and the Hassle of Changing Them.

The Degreaser/Paraffin Bridged the 2RS Seals and made the Bearings Noisy, Moer Noisy.

Edited by dasilvarsa