Cypher RS Carbon Pro vs Cypher 120 Carbon Pro (2022 models)

Transformer09

Hi all

Need some advice please.

One the verge of buying the 2022 Titan Cypher 120 Carbon Pro (blue one)

I have noticed there is two models, one with ROCKSHOX SID SL SELECT 100mm and the other with a ROCKSHOX SID SELECT 120mm, small difference on the rear shock, dropper on the one and tyres. 

Not going to do technical trails that much as I prefer the longer rides on normal gravel roads as I am a bigger guy (110kg) and don't prefer the technical quick trails. 

Will it be much of a difference if I take the 100mm version or will it be better to take the 120mm for more travel since I also weigh more then your average rider?

Seems that we can only get the 100mm version locally but they can change the bike in order to make it the Cyper 120 Carbon Pro.  

Last bike was a 2018 Scott Spark 940 so will be upgrading to the above. I have already made my choice on one of the above unless you guys have different advice to take another model or even another bike in the same price range

Thanks in advance

Johann

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, Transformer09 said:

Hi all

Need some advice please.

I have noticed there is two models, one with ROCKSHOX SID SL SELECT 100mm and the other with a ROCKSHOX SID SELECT 120mm, small difference on the rear shock, dropper on the one and tyres. 

Not going to do technical trails that much as I prefer the longer rides on normal gravel roads as I am a bigger guy (110kg) and don't prefer the technical quick trails. 

Will it be much of a difference if I take the 100mm version or will it be better to take the 120mm for more travel since I also weigh more then your average rider?

Seems that we can only get the 100mm version locally but they can change the bike in order to make it the Cyper 120 Carbon Pro.  

Last bike was a 2018 Scott Spark 940 so will be upgrading to the above. I have already made my choice on one of the above unless you guys have different advice to take another model or even another bike in the same price range

Thanks in advance

Johann

@Titan Racing Bikes speak on this...

Hi Johann,

Unless you're a pure racer, gunning for Top 10's and podiums, counting grams, and being all aero (!), we would always recommend the 120mm. Not because of the 120mm perse, but because the 120mm has a slacker head angle (which helps with confidence), it comes with a dropper post (which helps when descending and technical sections), and will most likely have a bigger 2nd hand buyer's market when the day comes. 

When it comes to the weight of a rider, a like-for-like build of 100mm vs 120mm doesn't make a big difference as on bikes with air suspension they will both be set up to use full travel, but not bottom out. More travel helps with technical terrain and for various other reasons.

Not going to do technical trails that much as I prefer the longer rides on normal gravel roads 

To argue the other side based on the above: If you're going to stay off technical single track and get yourself in a situation where a dropper could come in handy, then the 100mm would probably do as well. You can make it a bit more comfortable by running a riser bar and higher stack (more spacers under the stem), etc. You'll most likely make those changes anyway when you buy the bike and go for a bike fit.

The carbon pro is a beaut...
5177BA9F-8A18-4916-BF9D-A5BCF33FFC6F_1_201_a.jpeg.026d24bdf069374f3736253f283f5590.jpeg

I have the 100mm Carbon Pro, yes it is a good looking bike.

One dirt roads/gravel it is comfortable, it is very lively in the tech. It is a boat load of fun you can really manhandle it and throw it around.

If you are a more relaxed rider and not looking to save every gram I would go 120mm, if you are out and out looking for a fast fun bike for less technical then 100mm. 

1 hour ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:

Hi Johann,

Unless you're a pure racer, gunning for Top 10's and podiums, counting grams, and being all aero (!), we would always recommend the 120mm. Not because of the 120mm perse, but because the 120mm has a slacker head angle (which helps with confidence), it comes with a dropper post (which helps when descending and technical sections), and will most likely have a bigger 2nd hand buyer's market when the day comes. 

When it comes to the weight of a rider, a like-for-like build of 100mm vs 120mm doesn't make a big difference as on bikes with air suspension they will both be set up to use full travel, but not bottom out. More travel helps with technical terrain and for various other reasons.

To argue the other side based on the above: If you're going to stay off technical single track and get yourself in a situation where a dropper could come in handy, then the 100mm would probably do as well. You can make it a bit more comfortable by running a riser bar and higher stack (more spacers under the stem), etc. You'll most likely make those changes anyway when you buy the bike and go for a bike fit.

5177BA9F-8A18-4916-BF9D-A5BCF33FFC6F_1_201_a.jpeg.026d24bdf069374f3736253f283f5590.jpeg

Love the fact that Titan always there to add value to technical convoys and engage with the people. Awesome!! 

1 hour ago, dave303e said:

I have the 100mm Carbon Pro, yes it is a good looking bike.

One dirt roads/gravel it is comfortable, it is very lively in the tech. It is a boat load of fun you can really manhandle it and throw it around.

If you are a more relaxed rider and not looking to save every gram I would go 120mm, if you are out and out looking for a fast fun bike for less technical then 100mm. 

Oh yes! 

3 hours ago, Titan Racing Bikes said:

Hi Johann,

Thanks all. I went with the 100mm one as our local shop in George couldn't find the 120mm in stock. Would've preferred the 120mm one but ah well cant wait to ride again. Thanks for all the advice. 

2 hours ago, Transformer09 said:

Thanks all. I went with the 100mm one as our local shop in George couldn't find the 120mm in stock. Would've preferred the 120mm one but ah well cant wait to ride again. Thanks for all the advice. 

Thanks for your support 👍

On 6/18/2023 at 3:12 PM, Transformer09 said:

Hi all

Need some advice please.

Thanks in advance

Johann

Yup, 120 Carbon Pro - best choice I made.

1 hour ago, Max Headroom said:

Yup, 120 Carbon Pro - best choice I made.

That Was Smart of You, And When You Sell It You can Transfer the Warranty for 5 Years.

On 6/19/2023 at 11:36 AM, Transformer09 said:

Agh, much of a muchness. As long as you're riding, and at some point you could change to suspension up to 120mm should you really want to. For all intent and purpose, it is the same platform. 

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

Agh, much of a muchness. As long as you're riding, and at some point you could change to suspension up to 120mm should you really want to. For all intent and purpose, it is the same platform. 

Yes They don't have anything "Trail" or "More Agressive".

Nothing "Snob" Either.

Good afternoon all,

I have been following this thread and have contributed to it, from time-to-time.

I purchased a new 2020 Titan Cypher Pro RS, which has given me thousands of hours of wonderful enjoyment (and sometimes very painful quads). I can say without any hesitation that my bike is one of the best value for money bikes on the market, having regard to the component mix, from the carbon bars to the carbon hoops; the SRAM GX drivetrain and pretty decent front fork, rear shock, and brakes.

My only regret is that I did not purchase the Cypher Pro, which came equipped with a 120 mm fork, as I am a burly (read not fat) rider. I am in the process of attempting to source a 120 mm -130 mm fork which will complete the package.

I can only positively comment on the after sales service, which I have received from Carlo of Titan/Merida, which epitomizes the levels of client, and after sales service, which I have experienced. I do not regret my purchase, for one moment, and trust that a lot of fellow riders who have been fortunate to purchase a Titan product, would agree with me in this regard.

It has unfortunately been necessary for me to have my frame replaced under warranty on two occasions. I am grateful that the brand offers a 5 year warranty replacement policy to the initial purchaser, on condition that the bike is registered on the website. No questions whatsoever were asked, when the frames were returned and the process of receiving the initial replacement frame was painless, and took a few days. The frame was collected from my local bike shop are delivered to them, shortly after notification of the frame issue. Unfortunately, the second frame wore in an area near the yoke on the rear suspension, and once again Titan have honoured the warranty policy. They are also replacing the carbon rear triangle, with a brand-new triangle, although this was not damaged as well as providing me with a new yoke and rear suspension collar, in order to ensure my complete satisfaction. In addition to this, they have furnished me with an almost brand-new loan bike to use whilst they build up the new frame and rear triangle. How many other brands can boast about doing this?

I read with interest the horror stories of other riders who have struggled for months, and sometimes unsuccessfully to have frames replaced under warranty. My experience has been the complete opposite. I was not familiar with the Titan brand, before purchasing my bike, but did a fair amount of research before pulling the trigger. I previously used to ride a carbon fibre SPEZ, and was horrified at the costs of servicing the fork and shock.

I believe that credit needs to be given to manufacturers/brands, which go beyond the call of duty to ensure that a customer is completely satisfied with his/her purchase. This has been my experience with Titan, and I can only recommend the brand to anybody who is considering purchasing a new bike. When you purchase a Titan product, you enjoy peace of mind by buying a well-designed and incredibly well supported product in terms of after sales service. I'm not a brand ambassador for Titan, and I don't need to plug their products. There are too few positive posts about complete customer satisfaction on the Hub, but plenty of negative posts, in this regard. I have no intention to ever choosing another brand, due to the manner in which I have been treated.

Whilst on the topic of customer satisfaction. I would like to give a huge shout out to Chris Nixon and his crew at the Constantia Uitsig Bike Park, regarding the way in which they have maintained my bike and have treated me as a loyal customer. I have never felt "ripped off" in respect of any of my dealings with them, and have always been offered alternative cost choices terms of maintenance and upgrade options. It is safe to say that once you've experienced service levels of the highest order, as I have, both from  Titan, and my local bike shop, there is no reason to change to a different brand, or other bike shop.

My 2c worth.

Was away for a week in the Bosveld so will be collecting the bike tomorrow and get a proper fitment. First need to buy a helmet and shoes again as I sold that with my previous bike, stupid mistake but ahh well, new shoes and helmet will look good :) Some photos, couch pic to follow haha @Titan Racing Bikes Bike looks beautiful btw

IMG_3698.jpeg

IMG_3699.jpeg

IMG_3700.jpeg

IMG_3701.jpeg

IMG_3703.jpeg

Edited by Transformer09