Category: Gravel

OCTOBER 7TH 2023

GRAVEL RACING IN THE HEART OF THE KAROO

Graaff-Reinet, EC, South Africa

two routes to choose from

ROAD TO DESOLATION - 179km | 2,773m - Gravel bikes only

TASTE OF DESOLATION - 66 km | 1,275 m - all bikes excl. E-bikes

Heat And Cold In The Land Of Sheep & Goats

Rocky columns extend their crooked fingers heavenwards as we stare out over the Valley Of Desolation. A vast eden nestled on the edge of the dry expanse of the Karoo in South Africa. The little town of Graaff-Reinet sits neatly on a bend in The Sunday’s River. Shafts of light spear down and and illuminate puddles dotted across the scrubland while small black dots on green hint towards shapes of wild animals. The skies seem endless, vast and mighty as distant thunderstorms litter the scene. 

This forms the backdrop of our race. The Road To Desolation is a gravel race through the semi-desert area of the Karoo in South Africa. No exact definition of what constitutes the Karoo is available, so its extent is also not precisely defined. So too, our Race is slightly ambiguous and its rigours speak to the area itself. With two options available to test your mettle against the environment and other riders, The Road To Desolation is no mean feat.

Two unique choices face interested participants, ROAD TO DESOLATION (179km) and A TASTE OF DESOLATION (66km), to choose your course and your approach. The longer version will only be open to drop-bar Gravel Bikes, whereas the shorter version can be raced on anything, as long as it doesn’t have a motor! No matter which you choose, the last 7km’s will be a reminder that you have taken on The Road To Desolation.

ROAD TO DESOLATION

As its name suggests, this one is going to empty the tank. An onslaught of 178km’s with nearly 2800m of vertical gain. Road to Desolation is a true test of racing in these vast expanses and is a real test of attrition. Restraint is key as the mountain-top finish up to The Valley Of Desolation will decimate anyone who hasn’t left a little in the tank for finale.

Distance: 179km

Elevation: 2,773m

Surface: 85% Gravel 15% Paved

Start Time: 5:30AM 

Cut Off: 4PM for anyone entering the Climb to the Valley of Desolation

Refuel Stops: 41km, 78km, 107km, 154km

TASTE OF DESOLATION

At over 1200m of vertical gain in 65km’s suggests, this is no walk in the park, again a climb out of the valley awaits those who those who opt for the ‘easy’ route. With a late start and unique route, this one is going to sting. A high-paced affair from the gun is anticipated and one must make sure not to burn all their matches before the brutal ascent that will decide the victor.

Distance: 66 km

Elevation: 1,275 m

Surface: 53% Gravel 47% Paved

Start time: 11 AM 

Cut Off: 4PM for anyone entering the Climb to the Valley of Desolation

Refuel Stops: One at 36km

Visit the website for more information.

Entries open June 21st 2023

Go to Event Page.

Did this loop earlier this year with a little crew, could be the best gravel route on the race calendar. Keen for a big weekend in Graaf-Reinet.

1 hour ago, KieserJ said:

Did this loop earlier this year with a little crew, could be the best gravel route on the race calendar. Keen for a big weekend in Graaf-Reinet.

Perhaps you won't mind sharing the GPX file or Strava link with us?
Would like to see.

3 hours ago, cadenceblur said:

Damn it need to build some endurance so that I can even consider some of these events, 

Hi! 
i have put the routes together there is a really fun 66km loop which by no means is easy but is doable without proper training - which I can't say for the long route. 

here are the STRAVA links to the routes - They are going through the Camdeboo national park and some private land but the farmers are very friendly towards cyclists in the area but feel free to get in touch to get more info. 

Taste of Desolation https://www.strava.com/routes/2867303519100854680
Road to Desolation https://www.strava.com/routes/3069339774123174186

there is loads more info on the website: https://roadtodesolation.cc/

:)

Thanks 

I’m definitely not untrained , but the long might well be a bit too much, that being said, there is time to prepare though…

It's a pity it's so far away.... I don't think I can make a 'quick trip' to GR plus that ride in less than 4 days. 

Meh.... This looks properly rad.

2 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

It's a pity it's so far away.... I don't think I can make a 'quick trip' to GR plus that ride in less than 4 days. 

Meh.... This looks properly rad.

You know this is not too far away from Trans Baviaans just an extra 1:40 from Willowmore to Graaf Reinet. Both events should be 3 days max.

• 3 months later...
On 6/22/2023 at 7:19 PM, cadenceblur said:

Thanks 

I’m definitely not untrained , but the long might well be a bit too much, that being said, there is time to prepare though…

00CCE454-DA42-4B32-9869-25DFF2A5E1C8.png

On 6/22/2023 at 9:56 PM, milky4130 said:

You know this is not too far away from Trans Baviaans just an extra 1:40 from Willowmore to Graaf Reinet. Both events should be 3 days max.

Yeah... that's a big ask. I'd need to sleep for a week after that travel schedule!!! hahaha

I'm still tempted. If I were going I would give Mitosesethu a lift.

Those going, give the lad a lift!!!!!!

Guys, please spread the word about young Mito who needs a lift. He has an entry and somewhere to stay, but he needs to get there! His number is 063 128 6807.

"My name is Mitosesethu  I’m based in Cape Town 
I am writing this letter to request for help with transportation to the Graaff-Reinet race. and I have been training hard for this race. However, I do not have the means to get to the race venue.
I am asking for help in providing me with transportation to the race. I know this is a big ask, but I am willing to do anything to make it to the race. This race is very important to me, and I know that with  help, I can make it there."