[Event] The MTB Challenge

Pedal Power Association

Event Name: The MTB Challenge
When: 12/08/2023
Where: Wellington, Western Cape
Category: Mountain Bike

Off-road racing at its very best, the MTB Challenge hits the Cape Winelands on Saturday, 12 August 2023 and offers 15km, 30km and 60km options. The event was previously held prior to Covid-19 Lockdown in 2020 and we are excited to have the MTB Challenge back on the calendar with new routes and a new venue. The MTB Challenge will take place at the beautiful Arauna Farm in Wellington.

The MTB Challenge, originally scheduled for 8 July 2023, has been postponed to Saturday, 12 August 2023 due to recent flood damage and continuous rains. 

The MTB Challenge will also be the third event in the Western Province XCM series for 2023.

The event is open to PPA members as well as non-members and targets both existing cyclists, newcomers to the sport, the average participant, as well as the elite sportswoman. E-Bikes are welcome to join.

NEW VENUE: Arauna Farm is situated on the Slangrivier Road in Wellington. Nestled amongst the foothills of Groenberg Mountain, lies a Boland oasis, Arauna farm. Emerald green lawns and verdant oak trees, bordering a sparkling vlei offers a respite for those weary of the daily hustle and bustle. We love to have others indulge in the rich natural scenery of the farm and celebrate life in all its vivid colours. Situated three minutes from Wellington and 45 minutes from Cape Town, Expérience d’ Arauna offers true Boland hospitality. Did you know? Arauna farm is the bubbly bottler for the Bahrain Grand Prix since its debut in 2004.

The info tent will be able to answer any last-minute questions or to purchase replacement MTB board. Coffee on sale for your caffeine fix with varies stalls which include pancakes, food, wine, beer, cooldrinks, biltong, farmers market and lots more! Then you can sit back, relax and enjoy all that the venue has to offer! A kids area will allow the kids to have a fun time whilst mom and dad enjoy the live entertainment on offer.

Included in your entry fee will be timing, finishers medal, beautiful on route experience, fully stocked waterpoints, post-race village which includes a farmers market, live music and lucky draw. Lucky draw will take place at 12h00. Pricing varies from R150 to R450 depending on PPA membership and distance.

Online Entries: Entries close on Tuesday, 8 August 2023

15km: R150 PPA Member and R200 Non Member

30km: R300 PPA Member and R350 Non Member

60km: R400 PPA Member and R450 Non Member

Start times and age categories: 

15km (S) – start time from 09h30. Minimum age – 8yrs on 31 December 2023.

30km (M) – start time from 09h00. Minimum age – 13yrs on 31 December 2023.

60km (L) – start time from 08h30. Minimum age – 15yrs on 31 December 2023.

Route Information:

60km Route: 1492m Total Elevation. Start time from 08h30.

Like the 30km, fast and open road riding up to WP#1. After WP#1 the climbing starts on single-track on the southern slopes of Groenberg, with a fast and flowing single-track downhill. Open road climbing to WP#2, followed by the Luislang single-track climb, to be rewarded with the Happy Hog downhill section. After Happy Hog, riders will enjoy the Wild Boar Trails White Route single-tracks towards Oaklands for 8km to WP#3. From WP#3 it will be fast, open riding to Welvanpas Farm where the next climb starts, taking riders to the top of Golden Mile and down the famous, flowing trail. Rollercoaster takes riders to the finish. The route is well-balanced with quite long sections of single-track and easy open-road riding in-between.

There are 4 waterpoints on the 60km route. There will be some fruit and sweets to keep the energy levels high. Stay hydrated with Coke and water.

Waterpoint 1 will be activated by the ladies from Dirt Addict, a community focused brand that was started with the intention to connect and inspire women through various active lifestyle options. Largely serving the beginner to intermediate cyclist, they provide a safe space where women can learn and grow in skill and confidence. They stand for courage, pride, strength, and unity.

Waterpoint 2 will be activated by the team from Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages, the official hydration partner of PPA.

Waterpoint 3 will be activated by the team from PPA.

Waterpoint 4 will be activated by our Stay Wider of the Rider team. The mission is to raise awareness of cycling’s role as a key and sustainable mode of transport and to make it safe for everyone to cycle. The campaign launched in 2014 and has been instrumental in creating awareness amongst motorists especially when passing cyclists. Cyclists are vulnerable road users and should be given space of at least one metre on our roads.

30km Route: 561m Total Elevation. Start time from 09h00.

Fast start on open gravel road up to WP#1. Climbing from WP#1 to WP#2 mostly on district gravel road and jeep track. From WP#2 mostly downhill with short section of single-track. This route is not technical at all and suitable for all types of riders.

There are 2 waterpoints on the 30km route. There will be some fruit and sweets to keep the energy levels high. Stay hydrated with Coke and water. There will also be some music to keep the spirits high.

Waterpoint 1 will be activated by the ladies from Dirt Addict, a community focused brand that was started with the intention to connect and inspire women through various active lifestyle options. Largely serving the beginner to intermediate cyclist, they provide a safe space where women can learn and grow in skill and confidence. They stand for courage, pride, strength, and unity.

Waterpoint 2 will be activated by the team from Coca-Cola Peninsula Beverages, the official hydration partner of PPA.

15km Route: 354m Total Elevation. Start time from 09h30.

Starts off with open gravel road, followed by mainly vineyard riding. About 5km into the route, a fun pump track section will be an enjoyable feature for everyone. Highest point in the route is at about 9km, followed by a nice single-track section, and easy riding to the finish.

There is 1 waterpoint on the 15km route. There will be some fruit and sweets to keep the energy levels high. Stay hydrated with Coke and water. There will also be some music to keep the spirits high.

Go to Event Page.

So the date changed from 8 July to 12 August, which suits me fine. I was going to be away on the 8th, but now I can do this race. 🙂 

I've been worried about this event with all the rain these past few weeks. I think it's a good call.

I just hope it doesn't rain as much closer to this new date 🤞

I'm less pleased about the shifting of this date, although I understand the reasoning behind it.
I've been desperately trying to hang onto some summer form and keep healthy until this event rolled around but with all the poor weather around, it's proving to be a major challenge 😧

The new date clashes with other events so now I cannot attend this one. But such is life. A support the decision though.

16 minutes ago, WaldoZ said:

The new date clashes with other events so now I cannot attend this one. But such is life. A support the decision though.

Other MTB races? 

1 minute ago, Stephan said:

Other MTB races? 

Not just MTB but yes I have committed doing Transbaviaans

Really wanted to do this ride...

Currently on 2 rides in June hahaha so the change of date is a blessing.

Hope to make the August edition. Looks like a lekker route. Wellington drains well in my unwise opinion.  

On 6/29/2023 at 2:02 PM, babse said:

Really wanted to do this ride...

Currently on 2 rides in June hahaha so the change of date is a blessing.

Hope to make the August edition. Looks like a lekker route. Wellington drains well in my unwise opinion.  

2?! 😱 does it count if you actually modeling gorgeous 🥰

50 minutes ago, milky4130 said:

2?! 😱 does it count if you actually modeling gorgeous 🥰

3 as today.

Lol as for rest of your comment, if it's not on strava....

• 4 weeks later...

Is there a maximum age category for each of the respective distances i.e: is the 15km distance limited to kids only?

Think this may be an error in event details:
(Date specified is December, this may lead to some confusion)

45 minutes ago, Logan said:

Is there a maximum age category for each of the respective distances i.e: is the 15km distance limited to kids only?

Think this may be an error in event details:
(Date specified is December, this may lead to some confusion)

It is the standard way of saying 'the age you turn this year'...

So if you are 14 now but will be 15 by the end of the year, you are eligible for the 60km (seems young).

Most age group sport is worked out this way. if you are 39 turning 40 in 2023 you are a Vet. Not the animal Dr kind

26 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

It is the standard way of saying 'the age you turn this year'...

So if you are 14 now but will be 15 by the end of the year, you are eligible for the 60km (seems young).

Most age group sport is worked out this way. if you are 39 turning 40 in 2023 you are a Vet. Not the animal Dr kind

I'm particularly curious if the shorter 15km distance is open to Sub Vet & Vet. I know some events the shorter distances specifically cater for junior and sub junior only.