Riding Jozi

Rachmaninoff

Hi guys

I'll be moving up to the Big Smoke come 1 August and was wondering about the riding in Johannesburg.
Initially, I'll be staying with family around the zoo lake area - at least until we find our own spot near a school and not too far from the office.

Are there any roadie group rides around there? Or groups that do a spot of gravel riding over weekends?

Thanks in advance!

22 minutes ago, Rachmaninoff said:

Hi guys

I'll be moving up to the Big Smoke come 1 August and was wondering about the riding in Johannesburg.
Initially, I'll be staying with family around the zoo lake area - at least until we find our own spot near a school and not too far from the office.

Are there any roadie group rides around there? Or groups that do a spot of gravel riding over weekends?

Thanks in advance!

Not too far from the office and not far from school. 

You can only pick one in Jozi.

1 minute ago, Pandatron said:

Not too far from the office and not far from school. 

You can only pick one in Jozi.

Tough choice as both will take an hour or two out of your day😂

8 minutes ago, Rachmaninoff said:

Sheesh, you okes are selling it hard!

Realy not that bad. There are a few groups and guys that ride that side of the world so i am sure they will point you in the right direction and possibly  hookups for group rides.

Edited by Barry

Loads of riding very close to where you are. Most clubs start either in Rosebank or in Tyrone avenue, Parkview. You can ride out to the south, ride some gravel and back for a nice 100km loop. ICG is probably an easy group to start out with and will show you most of the commonly used routes. You can also take a gravel bike up and down the spruit which is an easy 40km off road depending on your fear level.

Edited by Nico van Loggerenberg

1 hour ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

ICG is probably an easy group to start out with and will show you most of the commonly used routes.

I can also recommend ICG. I moved up here a few months ago and mostly rode alone. I tried different groups, but nothing really stuck till I found ICG. They are a cool bunch of people who prioritise safety and don't litter when riding.

3 hours ago, Rachmaninoff said:

They also have rides during the week and a long group ride every Saturday. They also do a gravel group ride occasionally.

Edited by Ncayi

2 hours ago, Nico van Loggerenberg said:

Loads of riding very close to where you are. Most clubs start either in Rosebank or in Tyrone avenue, Parkview. You can ride out to the south, ride some gravel and back for a nice 100km loop. ICG is probably an easy group to start out with and will show you most of the commonly used routes. You can also take a gravel bike up and down the spruit which is an easy 40km off road depending on your fear level.

Thanks, Nico - appreciate the advice!

35 minutes ago, Ncayi said:

I can also recommend ICG. I moved up here a few months ago and mostly rode alone. I tried different groups, but nothing really stuck till I found ICG. They are a cool bunch of people who prioritise safety and don't litter when riding.

They also have rides during the week and a long group ride every Saturday. They also do a gravel group ride occasionally.

Sweet, thanks Ncayi! Hopefully see you on the road soon then.

Another vote for ICG in the area, a very informal group but they have a good structure and strict code of ethics such as no drop rides etc. Plus a no BS approach to the WhatsApp group.

The group has grown to include regular MTB and gravel rides as well. Additionally most rides have A,B, C groups for the different strength.
Generally they (the core) ask that new riders arrive with a regular or known ICGer for at least three rides so that they can find their groove. 

Jhb is very underrated, and areas sround zoo lake are lovely. I ride with ICG on weekends a few times a month and agree with the comments above.  

If you would like to join me for a ride sometime, ICG or generally, or just send me a direct message and I'll pass on my details and we can arrange to connect when you are here.

Dear Comrade Rachmaninoff, please drop me a whatsapp when you are in Johannesburg and ready to ride. I am one of the ride captains at ICG and can get you going. 0833811334. Your friend

Tchaikovsky