Power stations for use on smart trainers

mecheng89

So is that 1.5A input measured as constant load or max load?

if constant load then the current draw from the AC output can be calculated. 
The input voltage is quite a wide range so what does it actually use? 100V or less?

to use the power station the buyer needs a unit with an AC output. What is the max watts delivered from that output?

31 minutes ago, mecheng89 said:

Thanks. The reviews are a bit of a turn-off.

These do work well, However - They are 7AH Lead Acid batteries - The Kickr pulls 5 amps so you will get just over 1 hour (7/5 =1.4 hrs) before the UPS shuts down. they get a bad rap because people draw them down completely and the battery deteriorates very quickly, common with lead acid. they are not designed for this and only really meant as an emergency back up in the event of power failure to give you time to save and shutdown PC's etc.

I was about to bin mine and decided to open it up - I changed the battery to a 12v 7aH LI battery (not sure if it can handle this battery but did it anyway) it now lasts a lot longer - haven't tried it on the Kickr again but run 2 laptops and an external screen which lasts about 1:15 hr and the battery is still running strong after 3 months.

Oh & BTW - i disconnect this thing from the mains when i'm not using it - It gets fairly hot and LI catching on fire is not uncommon - so be careful if you make this modification

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

The KICKR, according to their website, required 5A @ 120V AC

Little Gizzu is therefore underpowered.

DC1 Interface
Output Voltage: 5, 9, 12Vdc
Output Current: 5V, 9V, 12V/3A
DC2 Interface

This is extracted from the Takealot link you shared.

But, what do I know.

Thats wrong if you look on the power box

Input is 100-240 V 1.7amps - AC

output is 12v 5 amp DC

The Gizzu 8800 mAh = 8.8 amp hr's should last 1hr45min if you run it on the 12v 3 amp output

1 hour ago, mecheng89 said:

KICKR CORE DESIGN SPECIFICATIONS:

Part Number: WFBKTR4

Dimensions (legs open): 20"L x 23"W x 19"H (51 cm x 59 cm x 49 cm)

Dimensions (legs closed): 9"L x 23"W x 21"H (22 cm x 59 cm x 54 cm)

Weight (Unboxed): 40 lbs (18.1 kg)

Rear Wheel Size: 24" RD / 24" MTB / 650c RD / 26" MTB / 700c RD / 650b MTB / 29" MTB

Hub Types: 130/135mm QR, 12x142, and 12x148 Thru Axle - Adapters Included

Drivetrain: Cassette not included. Requires Purchase and Installation of New 8/9/10/11 Speed SRAM/Shimano Cassette

KICKR CLIMB Compatible: Yes

KICKR HEADWIND Compatible: Yes

Cadence Sensor: Sold Separately

Front Wheel Block: Sold Separately

Resistance Type: Electromagnetic

Accuracy: + / - 2%

Connectivity: Bluetooth®, ANT+, ANT+ FEC

Wireless Software Updates: Yes

3rd Party Power Meter Support: Yes

Devices: iOS, Android, PC (Mac and Windows)

Max User Weight: 250 lbs (113 kg)

Power Requirements: 100-240V~1.5A 50-60 Hz

Flywheel Weight: 12 lbs (5.5kg)

Maximum Simulated Grade: 16%

Maximum Power Output: 1800 Watts (in my dreams)

this is the normal input power requirements when running with the supplied power lead - It has a stepdown box, the output on this box is where you need to look it's 12v 5 amp

So any 12v DC UPS will work - just select the highest Amp output on the ups - normally 3 amp

I use the amps to determine time - the Kickr will use 5 amps per hour so if you want to run for 2 hours you will need a 10 Ah ups min. I got an ultralan 17.8 Ah off Takealot have used it for a 1hr45 session and it was on 50% when i finished 

Be careful of the term UPS. They are generally a very short term solution that allows you to safely shut down your computer and electronics. Running items off these will destroy the batteries quite quickly. 

You need an inverter with a battery backup. 

5 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Good morning, techy Hubbers!

Has anyone ever thought of using one of these "portable power stations" to power their smart trainer during load shedding? I must say, they look like an attractive solution, but man they are pricey.

Screenshot 2023-07-24 070436.png

The Wahoo devise uses the least power of your trainer setup.

You PC will be using a lot more power.

The FAN more than doubled the power draw of all the other parts of my trainer !!!

Even with ALL of this on, including the fan, my trainer uses about 300W.

The typical 12V battery box system did this duty for many years.

2 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

The KICKR, according to their website, required 5A @ 120V AC

Little Gizzu is therefore underpowered.

DC1 Interface
DC2 Interface

This is extracted from the Takealot link you shared.

But, what do I know.

2 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

How long did it take to kill the ups…?

I only used it a couple of times for about a hour and it seemed to work fine, was only a temporary solution till I got an inverter. It didn't drain the battery past 75%. 

I did google quite a bit at the time if it would work, and while the kicker states 60w its actually less: 

I powered my trainer and a monitor for over three hours with a little router buddy box.  The trainer hardly draws anything and works 100%.  But that was using a laptop on its own battery and I moved my whole setup outside in the wind.  Its a different story for powering a PC, TV and fan.  
But since then I've upgraded to a Neo2T and now don't need any power :thumbup:

2 hours ago, Steady Spin said:

Be careful of the term UPS. They are generally a very short term solution that allows you to safely shut down your computer and electronics. Running items off these will destroy the batteries quite quickly. 

You need an inverter with a battery backup. 

for my own clarity can you elaborate

because I've always known a UPS to take battery power (DC) and convert it to AC for powering your PC etc.

Is this not exactly what an inverter does ??

20 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

for my own clarity can you elaborate

because I've always known a UPS to take battery power (DC) and convert it to AC for powering your PC etc.

Is this not exactly what an inverter does ??

The classic old UPS had weeks to recharge the battery, and it was to used for a safe shut down only.

The current use of an "inverter" is similar in that should switch seamlesly between eskom and battery supply.  BUT ... we now expect the battery to deliver full power for up to 4 hours, AND, we expect the system to recharge that battery in 4 to 6 houts for the next loadshed.

The "old school UPS" units dont stand up to this level of abuse.

But yes, both keep your equipment going when the power goes off.