CAPE TOWN to host UCI Marathon Champs '28

babse

29 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

coverage is an issue at the moment but we're planning 5 yrs into the future.

We didn't get to see the XCM races due to the cash with the Men and Ladies road events and track. There's no excuse for that other limited channels. 

Infrastrcuture may be a limiter but we have a world class velodrome, world Class XCO track in Stellenbosch and plenty of good quality roads in and about the city. Real issues like lawless taxi's are more the problem than anything directly related to hosting

Deffo. Hopefully it comes down to that and we can enjoy a multi discipline event. 
Personally feel in the greater scheme of world champs it would be more beneficial for hosts to stage smaller groupings of related disciplines. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

26 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

Deffo. Hopefully it comes down to that and we can enjoy a multi discipline event. 
Personally feel in the greater scheme of world champs it would be more beneficial for hosts to stage smaller groupings of related disciplines. 

It’s the smaller groupings that are less economically viable. Moving people around to different locations by both the uci and participating nations is expensive. It’s means tripling up on broadcast crews and uci has a long term contract with discovery+.

bit let’s see what announcements are made over the next year from the uci relating to other champs venues for 2028. 

Yes if hosting individual discipline events, but not on smaller groupings.
For example it’s easier and more cost effective to provide quality cover and hosting on say XCO, XCM, XCC, Enduro, DHI as a grouping of MTB.  
Also creates less strain on accommodating inbound operations, broadcast/general media. 

Large scale events almost always cost more.

12 hours ago, J Wakefield said:

Yes imagine doing 427 loops around Lady Loch as part of the road race. That’s pretty much what I envision they will come up with at Csa 

I pressume someone is now a bit over this lap racing thing😁😜

Well it looks like the uci is splitting the 2028 world champs events and scattering them around the globe.

road world champs is in Abu Dhabi while Saudi Arabia gets the gravel world champs.

such a pity as I feel this dilutes the positive impact the sport could have for a host location in terms of exposure, tourism and the overall cycling message.

let’s hope that the Mtb events are all in Cape Town but for it looks like a marathon only opportunity 

From the UCi website:

At a ceremony organised as part of the Congress, participants discovered the different UCI World Championships awarded for the period 2024-2030 by the International Federation's Management Committee at its recent meeting. In total, the names of the host cities of 14 UCI World Championships – in a total of eight countries on four continents – were unveiled:

• 2024 UCI Indoor Cycling World Championships: Bremen (Germany)

• 2025 and 2026 UCI Urban Cycling World Championships: Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)

• 2025 and 2026 UCI Masters Cyclo-cross World Championships: Varese (Italy)

• 2026 UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships: Huntsville (United States)

• 2026 UCI Junior Track World Championships: Heusden-Zolder (Belgium)

• 2026 and 2027 UCI Masters Mountain Bike World Championships: Nevados de Chillán (Chile)

• 2028 UCI Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships: Cape Town (South Africa)

• 2028 UCI Gravel World Championships: Alula (Saudi Arabia)

• 2028 UCI BMX Racing World Championships: Houston (United States)

• 2028 UCI Road World Championships: Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

• 2029 UCI Track World Championships: Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates).

A new member joined the UCI at its 2023 Congress, which voted in favour of the affiliation of American Samoa. The UCI now has 203 member National Federations. This number, rarely reached in the world of sports, demonstrates the universality of the cycling movement.

Edited by DieselnDust

On 8/7/2023 at 9:34 AM, DieselnDust said:

Well it looks like the uci is splitting the 2028 world champs events and scattering them around the globe.

road world champs is in Abu Dhabi while Saudi Arabia gets the gravel world champs.

such a pity as I feel this dilutes the positive impact the sport could have for a host location in terms of exposure, tourism and the overall cycling message.

let’s hope that the Mtb events are all in Cape Town but for it looks like a marathon only opportunity 

From the UCi website:

At a ceremony organised as part of the Congress, participants discovered the different UCI World Championships awarded for the period 2024-2030 by the International Federation's Management Committee at its recent meeting. In total, the names of the host cities of 14 UCI World Championships – in a total of eight countries on four continents – were unveiled:

• 2024 UCI Indoor Cycling World Championships: Bremen (Germany)

• 2025 and 2026 UCI Urban Cycling World Championships: Riyadh (Saudi Arabia)

• 2025 and 2026 UCI Masters Cyclo-cross World Championships: Varese (Italy)

• 2026 UCI Para-cycling Road World Championships: Huntsville (United States)

• 2026 UCI Junior Track World Championships: Heusden-Zolder (Belgium)

• 2026 and 2027 UCI Masters Mountain Bike World Championships: Nevados de Chillán (Chile)

• 2028 UCI Mountain Bike Marathon World Championships: Cape Town (South Africa)

• 2028 UCI Gravel World Championships: Alula (Saudi Arabia)

• 2028 UCI BMX Racing World Championships: Houston (United States)

• 2028 UCI Road World Championships: Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates)

• 2029 UCI Track World Championships: Abu Dhabi (United Arab Emirates).

A new member joined the UCI at its 2023 Congress, which voted in favour of the affiliation of American Samoa. The UCI now has 203 member National Federations. This number, rarely reached in the world of sports, demonstrates the universality of the cycling movement.

Didn't realize Alula was an actual place, just thought it was some oil related company/philanthropy venture. Gravel worlds to be won on fatbikes?

On 8/4/2023 at 10:39 AM, Nick said:

TBC

"a tender process to appoint commercial partners and our event organizer to follow over the next 6 months."

Tender is a swear word...

On 8/4/2023 at 11:08 AM, babse said:

Will be interesting to see this unfold...

Struggle to see how they will manage a marathon route around CT, Table Mountain. Will be awesome if they pull it off.

Def. Truly looking forward 

On 8/5/2023 at 1:21 PM, BaGearA said:

Good luck to all the riders and crews that will be mugged and hijacked in the lead up to this 💪🙁

No, its safe there...😁

A screengrab of police deployed in Mfuleni near Delft in Cape Town on 7 August 2023 as violence flared in the township amid the taxi strike rocking the city. Picture: Ntuthuzelo Nene/Eyewitness News

Stellenbosch is part of Cape Town right? 

If it's not on Table Mountain, I'd much rather see it happen in Stellenbosch or Wellington than Durbanville. 
Everyone just needs to conveniently forget about Table Mountain being mentioned in the presser.

Edit: don't discount Lourensford.  Somerset West is part of the city of Cape Town municipality after all.

Edited by PhilipV

i was listening to TheMove <ducks for cover> last night. Their analysis of the Mens Road champs was quite interesting. That Bryneel guy is quite sharp. Anyways he mentioned that the UCI is experimenting with a Super Even champs format in Glascow. The vision is to have all the cycling world championship events in one location every 4 years. the in between years these will be scattered as per the usual format. I really hope they do adopt this super event format. 

I think what we need to remember is that outside of some parts of Europe, cycling isn't actually very popular.

Having been to a number of Olympics/Common wealth games etc, the cycling events really don't draw much of a crowd, even compared to random sports like Archery and Hand ball.

WE love cycling, but the general population don't. I'd think most find cyclists annoying.

So I'm not at all surprised the XCM has no coverage, as it is a globally 'unpopular' event and setting up camera and broadcast infrastructure is expensive. Especially for an event that has a tiny following. The quality of the fields showed how little the top Pro's consider XCM, so if we translate that into watching fans, it's probably on South Africans and a tiny handful of others who are even interested.

I don't see a cycling world championship pulling massive overseas crowds and tourists when hosted in far away places like SA, Aus, NZ, Asia or any of the Americas.

On 8/6/2023 at 8:30 PM, DieselnDust said:

coverage is an issue at the moment but we're planning 5 yrs into the future.

We didn't get to see the XCM races due to the cash with the Men and Ladies road events and track. There's no excuse for that other limited channels. 

Infrastrcuture may be a limiter but we have a world class velodrome, world Class XCO track in Stellenbosch and plenty of good quality roads in and about the city. Real issues like lawless taxi's are more the problem than anything directly related to hosting

I had no idea, where is that world class velodrome ?

3 hours ago, DieselnDust said:

i was listening to TheMove <ducks for cover> last night. Their analysis of the Mens Road champs was quite interesting. That Bryneel guy is quite sharp. Anyways he mentioned that the UCI is experimenting with a Super Even champs format in Glascow. The vision is to have all the cycling world championship events in one location every 4 years. the in between years these will be scattered as per the usual format. I really hope they do adopt this super event format. 

I listen to the Move without a missing beat, it's really good. regardless of what you think of any of them

45 minutes ago, J Wakefield said:

Is there a new one built since I moved?

There is a plan currently...

But yes the current facility is far from world class having seen what an average velodrome looks like in Europe. 

15 minutes ago, babse said:

There is a plan currently...

But yes the current facility is far from world class having seen what an average velodrome looks like in Europe. 

Clearly I have been luckily enough to go to the al none average ones then.