TransBaviaans 2023 - Race Edt

pedal menace

Do not see a thread for this year's event. So let me kick it off - we can give feedback and updates - especially for the Repeat event next week (19 Aug). 

Only few days left:

1. Seen hints of road surface scraped - whoop whoop! 

2. Weather so far - looking good. In fact - VERY PLEASANT! I was one of the unlucky and unhappy plenty that had to abandon last year. Was not able to continue cycling as a popsicle.  So, I get to give it another bash with my son this year - unfinished business. Our first TB together... what a privilege!  

3. Not a lot of rain in last two weeks - so may have dry conditions throughout - especially hoping so for last few km next to train tracks. 

Oh...and I believe burgers at finish is BACK. Yeah! 

To all other entrants like me that cannot wait - enjoy your ride. Training is done. Have a few beers and enjoy every second! 

Edited by pedal menace

22 minutes ago, fanievb said:

got roped into doing my first one this year. 

doing the repeat

You will love it! It is truly a special event!! 

I have some very serious FOMO, even after last year's less than favourable conditions. Done two, still aiming to get the shield some day. Good luck to everyone riding, it's both easier and harder than you think, and an absolute flippen blast!

I was dressed in four layers. Spot the PnP bag sock cover:

20220820_101009.jpg.0bd79c4b217705e65ce2b22c864d3c19.jpg

Don't stress about racing up the MAC, there are some gorgeous views to be had if you stop and take it all in:

20220820_171344(1).jpg.16f793ffa003f3d4dd8e05db18647b4f.jpg

Edited by TyronLab

Hi, not sure if anyone can assist me:
I was wondering if you or if you know of someone that can maybe assist, I am currently in George, but I am a backup driver for some of my friends from Joburg for Transbaviaans this weekend.
I need a lift form here to Willowmore and the transfer service on the website does not assist anymore.
I am more that willing to pay and I don't have a bike with me 
Edwina 08273961969

48 minutes ago, TyronLab said:

I have some very serious FOMO, even after last year's less than favourable conditions. Done two, still aiming to get the shield some day. Good luck to everyone riding, it's both easier and harder than you think, and an absolute flippen blast!

I was dressed in four layers. Spot the PnP bag sock cover:

Don't stress about racing up the MAC, there are some gorgeous views to be had if you stop and take it all in:

And looks like a hardtail. Ouch! Kudos and respect for finishing last year! Go for that shield. Got mine and it is a truly special feeling! Just need to do one more with my son....last year was the plan. Did not work out. This year so far - it looks like all systems GO! And I agree - forget the pain - forget the % gradient. Yes it hurts - but it is so worth it! The Kloof itself - WOW ! Scenery is spectacular! 

10 hours ago, pedal menace said:

And looks like a hardtail. Ouch! Kudos and respect for finishing last year! Go for that shield. Got mine and it is a truly special feeling! Just need to do one more with my son....last year was the plan. Did not work out. This year so far - it looks like all systems GO! And I agree - forget the pain - forget the % gradient. Yes it hurts - but it is so worth it! The Kloof itself - WOW ! Scenery is spectacular! 

Hardtail, SHPAH, rigid all the way. Look, I was glad I was running rigid, it was muddy from start to finish, and by the end most moving parts had some screech/whine/grind/slosh to them. 

Some okes pressure washing the bejeesus out of their BBs, linkages, forks and shocks at every water point, straight on, zero mercy, didn't help either. I drenched my chain in wet lube, and went on my merry way. I remember cruising past a guy on a current year Spark RC Team on the MAC, drivetrain sounding like a horror film soundtrack and every suspension action being accompanied by an old-wooden-door shriek, picturing him going "nooit ****** weer nie!" after getting Cyclelab's repair bill.

My buddy sacrificed a Force AXS derailleur to the second Fang which forced us to take turns single speeding a 40/20 gear from there onwards, so just finishing felt like an achievement.

My third entry but the first time I'll actually line up on the start line. First time I got a primary glandular fever infection (at the ripe old age of 50 something) a week before the event, the second time I broke ribs and hand at ATP... This time I'm lining up on the race day this weekend. Looking forward to it.

4 hours ago, Mamil said:

My third entry but the first time I'll actually line up on the start line. First time I got a primary glandular fever infection (at the ripe old age of 50 something) a week before the event, the second time I broke ribs and hand at ATP... This time I'm lining up on the race day this weekend. Looking forward to it.

another one just going to see how it compares to the real "TOUGHEST SINGLE STAGE RACE IN THE WORLD" 😉

5 hours ago, pedal menace said:

Stars are lining up and looks all perfect for this weekend. In fact looks VERY warm 😊 

Last year we were walking around with t-shirts at registration (Friday). Saturday morning at 03:00 the wind started to pick up and the rest was a mess :whistling:. I did not even bother to go past the 5km mark. My one partner had a Trek Procal (4 months old) and both stays were cracked from all the mud.

In 2019 I rode all the way to CP#5 with only a gillet and arm warmers. It only started to get nippy at "the pakhuis". Hope it is a great ride ya'll 

Just got last mail from EcoBound. Seems it is back to box hand in for CP#5 on Friday night with boxes for CP#3&4 on Saturday morning. Thought is was still all boxes on Friday night. 

19 hours ago, RobertWhitehead said:

Last year we were walking around with t-shirts at registration (Friday). Saturday morning at 03:00 the wind started to pick up and the rest was a mess :whistling:. I did not even bother to go past the 5km mark. My one partner had a Trek Procal (4 months old) and both stays were cracked from all the mud.

In 2019 I rode all the way to CP#5 with only a gillet and arm warmers. It only started to get nippy at "the pakhuis". Hope it is a great ride ya'll 

Made it 25km out and called it quits last year. Cold and freezing and wet ...but this year looks perfect. Seems no winter kit at all needed. Will still pack it in.  But unlikely to use at this stage. 

The humble perspective of someone more often than not addressed as Oom. 

Rule #1 - Make sure the team is on the same page, don't force the weakest link. 

Rule #2 - Take a sense of humor along, actually take a few senses of humors along... 

Rule # 3 – Deflate your front tyre to 0.9bar (zero point nine) 

Rule #4 – Rule #2 reigns supreme!

If you are dodgy in the fitness department, view it as a veeeeeeery long coffee ride, use the same pace, but if you have done a 5hour ride in your life you should be fine.

Start slow, keep that pace.

To CP #1 Vero’s - Nice 52 km of undulating hills, no monsters, control the adrenaline in the beginning, you can start racing up the Neverender (if by then you still feel like racing).  Screaming down the Nuwekloof Pass is about the most fun you will have in the race. Enjoy the roosterkoek!

To CP#2 Zandvlakte - Gentle 42 km downhill meander, but you must still pedal... keep the heart rate at an acceptable level, it is easy to get over-exited on this section with a nice tail-wind going. The food is generally healthy stuff.

To CP#3 Smitskraal – Just 30km. At 115km Baviaansback is the first bump in the road. A not too serious climb but you start feeling the 100 kays! I lied, screaming down the Baviaansback will be the most fun to be had today. The sosaties at CP#3 are out of this word, enjoy but not too many! By now you will have come to realise that at every waterpoint Wicus the Sadist will offer you great food and immediately take you up a steep incline!! Pick up your lights at this point. Any mishap and you will arrive at Bergplaas in the dark.

To CP#4 Bergplaas – Only 20 km, what can go wrong…. Langwater, The Fangs and the small matter of the Bergplaas climb. The hardest two hours of the day. Cycling past the campsite called Doodsklip invokes some irony as one starts the gentle run-in to Bergplaas. Too tired to enjoy the sunset take the turnoff to Bergplaas for some proper soup! Break out the dry clothes and extra jacket as the cold can be rather intense. 

To CP#5 Pakstoor – Going down the Big Dipper is best done in the dark. Your lights will not reveal the fearsome drop next to the road! This is an easy 30km section, save some energy for the last push home. Pizza and some slap chips do wonders for the body. 

To CP#7 Zuurbron – Focus on the Zuurbron Jaffels. That is all that is important over the next 30km. The Neverender is not an issue. It is not too steep and in the dark you cannot see how far it is. Just grind it out. Like a day at work. Just know after 20km from Pakstoor there is a downhill. The biggest challenge of the day is not to pig out on too many jaffels… believe me the temptation is there. Your Rennies must fight cramps, not heartburn.

HomeRun – Only 20 to go, you are in a surreal world with the rear bike lights mixing with the wind turbine lights. If only all those lights could only flash at the same time…  the OCD displaces tiredness and soon the Railroad single track takes you to Mall. There the Second-Best Spur Burger ever will await us again this year. The Best Ever Spur Burger is served at the To Hell and Back Race!

Have fun. Never forget that.

1 hour ago, TIB said:

The humble perspective of someone more often than not addressed as Oom. 

Rule #1 - Make sure the team is on the same page, don't force the weakest link. 

Rule #2 - Take a sense of humor along, actually take a few senses of humors along... 

Rule # 3 – Deflate your front tyre to 0.9bar (zero point nine) 

Rule #4 – Rule #2 reigns supreme!

If you are dodgy in the fitness department, view it as a veeeeeeery long coffee ride, use the same pace, but if you have done a 5hour ride in your life you should be fine.

Start slow, keep that pace.

To CP #1 Vero’s - Nice 52 km of undulating hills, no monsters, control the adrenaline in the beginning, you can start racing up the Neverender (if by then you still feel like racing).  Screaming down the Nuwekloof Pass is about the most fun you will have in the race. Enjoy the roosterkoek!

To CP#2 Zandvlakte - Gentle 42 km downhill meander, but you must still pedal... keep the heart rate at an acceptable level, it is easy to get over-exited on this section with a nice tail-wind going. The food is generally healthy stuff.

To CP#3 Smitskraal – Just 30km. At 115km Baviaansback is the first bump in the road. A not too serious climb but you start feeling the 100 kays! I lied, screaming down the Baviaansback will be the most fun to be had today. The sosaties at CP#3 are out of this word, enjoy but not too many! By now you will have come to realise that at every waterpoint Wicus the Sadist will offer you great food and immediately take you up a steep incline!! Pick up your lights at this point. Any mishap and you will arrive at Bergplaas in the dark.

To CP#4 Bergplaas – Only 20 km, what can go wrong…. Langwater, The Fangs and the small matter of the Bergplaas climb. The hardest two hours of the day. Cycling past the campsite called Doodsklip invokes some irony as one starts the gentle run-in to Bergplaas. Too tired to enjoy the sunset take the turnoff to Bergplaas for some proper soup! Break out the dry clothes and extra jacket as the cold can be rather intense. 

To CP#5 Pakstoor – Going down the Big Dipper is best done in the dark. Your lights will not reveal the fearsome drop next to the road! This is an easy 30km section, save some energy for the last push home. Pizza and some slap chips do wonders for the body. 

To CP#7 Zuurbron – Focus on the Zuurbron Jaffels. That is all that is important over the next 30km. The Neverender is not an issue. It is not too steep and in the dark you cannot see how far it is. Just grind it out. Like a day at work. Just know after 20km from Pakstoor there is a downhill. The biggest challenge of the day is not to pig out on too many jaffels… believe me the temptation is there. Your Rennies must fight cramps, not heartburn.

HomeRun – Only 20 to go, you are in a surreal world with the rear bike lights mixing with the wind turbine lights. If only all those lights could only flash at the same time…  the OCD displaces tiredness and soon the Railroad single track takes you to Mall. There the Second-Best Spur Burger ever will await us again this year. The Best Ever Spur Burger is served at the To Hell and Back Race!

Have fun. Never forget that.

Lovely summary and after having done 6...I 100% concur. Make an effort to enjoy this. It is an adventure not a race.