Shimano 12 speed chains Vs Sram

justinlo

Hi all , I have been through a fair amount of SRAM GX and X01 chains over the last few years and like most know the longevity of the XO1 is amazing. 

What have other cyclists experienced with Shimano Xt and Xtr chains in comparison to SRAM, besides the obvious price difference. 

I have got about 2200km now out of my xtr chain so far. Not close to 0.5 wear. I do ride on the road mostly though. Wife's deore chain already had 0.5 wear at 1700km. It literally had rust after just one ride through mud near the coast. Her bike is also mostly on the trainer. Got her a xtr chain as well now so I will monitor that. 

Her previous bike had Sram NX and that chain did about 4000km (iirc) but the cassette and chainring were toast with it

I run xx1 chains on all my bikes now, even the ones with shimano drivetrains on them. They just last to infinity and are super strong

one thing to note though is that shimano 12 speed chains are only compatible with Shimano 12 speed drivetrains due to that new hyperglide + feature. They are also directional, as in they only go on one way around. The shifting under load with that feature is nice though, but not a dealbreaker for the longer chain life with the sram chains. 

I usually get around 4-4500kms out of my Shimano chains, will admit that from 3000kms the chains do start to get quite slack and shifting is not always as efficient for the last 1000kms.

7 hours ago, devvydoesdonuts said:

I usually get around 4-4500kms out of my Shimano chains, will admit that from 3000kms the chains do start to get quite slack and shifting is not always as efficient for the last 1000kms.

Maybe Shimano will make a chain one day which lasts as long as SRAM. 

Thanks for your input, suppose I should just stick with SRAM. 

On 8/14/2023 at 6:39 AM, MORNE said:

I run xx1 chains on all my bikes now, even the ones with shimano drivetrains on them. They just last to infinity and are super strong

one thing to note though is that shimano 12 speed chains are only compatible with Shimano 12 speed drivetrains due to that new hyperglide + feature. They are also directional, as in they only go on one way around. The shifting under load with that feature is nice though, but not a dealbreaker for the longer chain life with the sram chains. 

Thanks Morne

45 minutes ago, figjam_sa said:

https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/chaintesting/

Just something I read a while back

Thanks, was an interesting read. 

Would have thought Shimano XT and XTR would fall into the Premium category but if you compare with X01 and XX1 there is a huge gap. 

Just a pitty as I prefer the shift feel of Shimano but the longevity of the SRAM X01 chains… 😂😂🤷‍♂️

Suppose I will have to stick with the Xt shifter, derailleur and SRAM cassette and  X01 chain. 

34 minutes ago, dasilvarsa said:

I'm at 12K on KMC Chain.

I divorced Shimano and Sram chains.

I hear you.  What cassette are you using. 

For the price (according to the test) you get great value out a xtr chain and with less friction loss. There was a youtube video - I think Dylan Johnson shared some details about it

But yes I have also read great feedback on the X01 chains! I just prefer Shimano, so xtr chain it is for me. Deore chain sucks

Edited by figjam_sa

3 hours ago, justinlo said:

Thanks, was an interesting read. 

Would have thought Shimano XT and XTR would fall into the Premium category but if you compare with X01 and XX1 there is a huge gap. 

Just a pitty as I prefer the shift feel of Shimano but the longevity of the SRAM X01 chains… 😂😂🤷‍♂️

Suppose I will have to stick with the Xt shifter, derailleur and SRAM cassette and  X01 chain. 

I'm running just the reverse of what you are Shimano cassette and chain with sram derailleur and shifter. 

Yes the Shimano cassette and chain don't last as long as sram but it also costs considerably less, the ratio's are so much better and the shifting is just next level. 

PS : have just bought a hyperglide + Ebike rated chain so let's see if it lasts longer 🤞🏻 it was still inexpensive compared to sram. 

I’ll agree that 12spd hyperglide + SLX on my hardtail makes the full Gx axs with xx1 chain on my enduro bike feel like cheap chinese groupset lol.
BUT, I also broke that slx chain at the skills park with less than 500km on it which was mildly annoying🤷🏻‍♂️