International medical insurance while racing in an ultra triathlon event (amateur)

Ramius

Hello everyone,

I am most fortunate to be competing as an age-grouper in the Vinfast Ironman World Champs in Nice, France on 10 September 2023. While I have been able to get the required medical insurance for my Schengen Visa through Bestmed, it does not cover me on race day. I clearly indicate I am an amateur and the event is well organised, and has comprehensive emergency medical personnel and procedures. I have contacted a number of insurers and I typically get this response:

"Thank you for your interest in purchasing a travel insurance policy.
As indicated on the policy terms and condititions, it it should not be a professional activity and it should be for leisure purposes and we do not cover any kind of racing, except racing on foot. 
Since your activity is set for a competition, specifically World Championship, and it is a race competition with others, you will not be covered.
You will only be covered if you can provide a document to confirming that you are not racing with others and this is just for leisure purposes and non-professional sports activity. 
Thank you."

I don't think it wise not to have medical emergency coverage for race day which covers the greatest potential risk.

I have searched the Forum and found one discussion (https://forum.bikehub.co.za/topic/175383-medical-insurance-while-racing/#comment-3304771). However, the product mentioned (Sanlam GO Cover) seems to have been withdrawn by Sanlam.

image.png.b4248736602af90fb20f43ea6c8decdd.png

I'd appreciate any advice.

Cheers,
Ian

2 hours ago, Ramius said:

Hello everyone,

I am most fortunate to be competing as an age-grouper in the Vinfast Ironman World Champs in Nice, France on 10 September 2023. While I have been able to get the required medical insurance for my Schengen Visa through Bestmed, it does not cover me on race day. I clearly indicate I am an amateur and the event is well organised, and has comprehensive emergency medical personnel and procedures. I have contacted a number of insurers and I typically get this response:

As indicated on the policy terms and condititions, it it should not be a professional activity and it should be for leisure purposes and we do not cover any kind of racing, except racing on foot. 
Since your activity is set for a competition, specifically World Championship, and it is a race competition with others, you will not be covered.
You will only be covered if you can provide a document to confirming that you are not racing with others and this is just for leisure purposes and non-professional sports activity. 
Thank you."

I don't think it wise not to have medical emergency coverage for race day which covers the greatest potential risk.

I have searched the Forum and found one discussion (https://forum.bikehub.co.za/topic/175383-medical-insurance-while-racing/#comment-3304771). However, the product mentioned (Sanlam GO Cover) seems to have been withdrawn by Sanlam.

Cheers,
Ian

Ahhhhh don’t we just love insurance companies…. Where there’s a way there’s a will 

Good luck in Nice, don’t forget the race report and photos 

I have competed at various cycling Granfondo's in Europe over the last few years and have always had specific cover with Bryte insurance (through my Nedbank Amex card).

Anyone can buy this specific for your trip and they have various options of cover available. Pricing is also quite reasonable with prices per option ranging between R700 up to R2800.

I hope this helps.

My medical aid, Momentum, has always provided me with insurance for overseas events without any issues. I am not sure if that is because I am a normal member though.

Edited by Dusty

59 minutes ago, PlemPlem said:

I have competed at various cycling Granfondo's in Europe over the last few years and have always had specific cover with Bryte insurance (through my Nedbank Amex card).

Anyone can buy this specific for your trip and they have various options of cover available. Pricing is also quite reasonable with prices per option ranging between R700 up to R2800.

I hope this helps.

If i recall it was the same with FNB paid for the whole trip with a credit card and got the insurance including cover for world champs in Pontevedre.

4 hours ago, Ramius said:

Hello everyone,

Thank you."

Cheers,
Ian

Send me a PM. I can arrange something for you if you’re interested.

I am a Financial Advisor.

Thanks everyone. I'm following up on the information you've posted. I'll post the solution. Many thanks, much appreciated!

Morning everyone. Just to let you know I managed to get the required race day insurance through Bryte (Basic Automatic Cover & Top Up Option 3) for R1260-00. The policy covers "Hazardous activity: An activity, excursion or hobby that introduces or increases the possibility of serious harm, death or injury when compared to ordinary recreational activities." Given the bike course profile for Nice, I'd say those downhills and hairpins are hazardous 🫣😅

image.png.31afcb3d4554561c49e9fa7335d1301d.png

22 minutes ago, Ramius said:

Morning everyone. Just to let you know I managed to get the required race day insurance through Bryte (Basic Automatic Cover & Top Up Option 3) for R1260-00. The policy covers "Hazardous activity: An activity, excursion or hobby that introduces or increases the possibility of serious harm, death or injury when compared to ordinary recreational activities." Given the bike course profile for Nice, I'd say those downhills and hairpins are hazardous 🫣😅

image.png.31afcb3d4554561c49e9fa7335d1301d.png

All good. Have a good trip and good luck on race day. Let us know how it went👌🏻