Taking my Hyrax to Whistler?

Renier

4 hours ago, MTBRIDER1234 said:

Actually you can get 160mm of travel without any risks. You could probably push it a bit further, but it may be at the expense of suspension kinematics etc.

Not many people know, but the only difference between the 160mm slakline frame and the 140mm hyrax frame is simply the shock stroke. 

I'll definitely look into this, thanks.
More than 160 won't help me without getting a new fork, so that may be my limit.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Fred van Vlaanderen said:

The Hyrax and the Slakline is the exact same frame. That's how I've always understood it. The only difference is the stroke on the suspension, which then changes wheelbase, angles and BB height as a direct result.  

Changing the stroke of the shock does nothing for the angles as the eye to eye length remains the same. I'll ask Barry why he said the conversion is not possible 🤷‍♂️

Confirmed with my Pyga contacts that they have different rockers between the frames. The Hyrax kinematics don't play nicely with a longer stroked shock. Probably not the end of the world, but worth keeping in mind. 

Apologies for the hijack

30 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

From the man himself I guess 

Screenshot_20230823_093404_WhatsApp.jpg

Haha, well, that settles it at least! Question is, is that simply done by putting in a longer stroke shock with the same eye to eye?

16 hours ago, TitusTi said:

The progression happens so quickly there you should be cleaning A-Line by day 2, it is amazingly well designed for that.

Disclaimer. Only been to euro bike parks not Whistler

100%. The way the trails are built is so good. The corners set you up with the correct speed so you clear the first jump. Then the next jump is a bit bigger so you clear that too etc etc.

There's no weird lips that buck or corners that bleed off too much speed. You never encounter a section of trail and wonder if the builder maybe had a hangover the day he built it.

2 hours ago, Renier said:

Haha, well, that settles it at least! Question is, is that simply done by putting in a longer stroke shock with the same eye to eye?

Yebo, slap a 205 x 65 shock and you will have 160mm of travel, there is probably even just a spacer in your current shock that limits it to 57.5mm of stroke, you would need to send it in to have it removed, unless you are skilled and confident enough to do a damper rebuild on your shock.

But seeing as you have a Hyrax, it is probably a Rockshox Deluxe, I would maybe fit a shock with a reservoir, eg Super Deluxe/Fox Float X or DPX2 etc

Edited by Chadvdw67

13 minutes ago, Chadvdw67 said:

Yebo, slap a 205 x 65 shock and you will have 160mm of travel, there is probably even just a spacer in your current shock that limits it to 57.5mm of stroke, you would need to send it in to have it removed, unless you are skilled and confident enough to do a damper rebuild on your shock.

But seeing as you have a Hyrax, it is probably a Rockshox Deluxe, I would maybe fit a shock with a reservoir, eg Super Deluxe/Fox Float X or DPX2 etc

So, I have a DVO Topaz 2 on there at the moment, it has a piggy back, which is cool, but I want to swop it out for a coil. I'm just waiting for Xfusion to do another production run on their H3C coil so I  can replace it. Should happen later this year.

9 hours ago, thebob said:

and now the boss says something different. But Pat knows best!

Yeah. The rocker links are exactly the same. I know this because like I said, I have swapped shock, swingarms and rocker links between hyraxes and slaklines with no ill effects. Glad this has been cleared up

• 2 weeks later...