Bikepacking the Cross Cape Town

Bearens

Hello ZA! 

We are Bianca and Fabian, a Belgian couple who plans to do bike-packing in ZA in november 2023. 
We have two weeks and will bring our own bikes and gear etc. I have some experience, Fabian has experiences bike-packing in Rwanda, Scotland, Turkey etc. We were really looking forward until some weeks earlier we keep hearing sounds that it's really unsafe in ZA. First we were planning to do a more remote route but now we are thinking of going for a safer option and do the Cross Cape Route https://bicyclesouth.co.za/2017/10/the-cross-cape/. Seems really beautiful! 

We would like to hear from you what your recent experiences are about this route. I can only find reviews from 2021 or earlier so would like a fresher point of view. 
Also some bike friendly cheaper hotels/hostel/guesthouses in Cape Town would be great! 

Thanks a lot in advance! 

A fellow bicycle lover :) 

It is not bad at all here. Common sense is a priority though. If you on FB look for a group called Southern African bike touring bikepacking and hosting. I do a fair bit of touring the Western Cape. What did yoy want to do? Where is your start point and finish point? The Karoo is absolutely fantastic. 

You won't regret doing the Cross Cape. Stunning route. Don't leave your bikes or possessions alone when riding around in the towns and you should be fine. 

Great that you are you are considering the route and the ride! As said above just pack your common sense... Generally you are safe on the bike Western Cape. We did a short trip last year Dec and will do something again this year.

Hit us up when you come to Swellendam, might be able to offer you some accommodation or at least a braai.

This lady recently passed through town cycling on her own, doing something similar:

https://empowermefirst.college/bike_challenge_23/

@Bearens 

First and foremost, perceptions of safety in South Africa depend on who you ask. Safety cannot be compared to that in Europe by any means. Events like the August taxi strike also tend to increase reports of unsafety.

The Cape Cross is a truly beautiful route and one of my favourites. While I haven't done the whole route recently, I do cycle many parts of the Cape Cross routes from the Stellenbosch side often. There are certain roads to be wary of near Stellenbosch, but in most cases, I haven't experienced issues personally. As a South African, I may be more tolerant of certain scenarios in the country than you would be.

Depending on how many days you plan to complete the route, I would avoid cycling in the evenings. Doing a set amount of kilometres per day, town-to-town, and staying over to enjoy local hospitality is a good approach. Many of the roads you'll ride are on private farmland - likely safer than public roads. This is part of the Cape Cycle Route Initiative set up by the Western Cape Government and Wesgro to promote cycling tourism in the region.

You can find more detailed information on the official website:

https://capecycleroutes.co.za/route

Cape Cross route:
https://capecycleroutes.co.za/route/cross-cape-route

Accommodation:
https://capecycleroutes.co.za/accommodation

When riding, be sensible, ensure you have a cell phone and possibly a tracking device like a Spot. While you'd likely have cell reception most of the time, load shedding can sometimes disrupt cell towers. You can rent a Spot here: https://sat4rent.co.za/612-2/

Which end are you starting from, Stellenbosch or Plettenberg Bay? If Stellenbosch, let me know - I can ride the first part with you or show you some local routes when here.

Edited by Dappere

I did did this route last year April with a mate of mine, from Plettenberg Bay to Stellenbosch. It is a truly magical route and you will experience the best of what the Cape has to offer in terms of scenery and hospitality.

I booked all our accommodation via the AirBnB app which allowed us a comfortable bed each night and a place to do our washing and prepare breakfast. I don't think I paid more than R500 p/p/p/n.
In the evenings we would just walk into town to find a restaurant for a meal.
Our total experience for the week cost us around R6500 (310 Euros) each for the 8 days and that included and amazing meal each night and the lift up to Plett from CT and the first night in Plett.
The route was extremely safe and mostly remote for large parts of it and we experienced nothing but friendliness from everyone we met along the way.

SA has it's issues but the majority of the country is not out to get you, it's only a select few who spoil it for the rest. Chat to the locals for advice and you will have a wonderful time here.

I'm currently planning our next ride in Oct, this time with my wife as she saw my photos and now wants to experience it for herself 😃

Feel free to DM me if you need any further info 🤙

Theewaters.jpg

Coffee_stop.jpg

12 hours ago, Lynskey said:

It is not bad at all here. Common sense is a priority though. If you on FB look for a group called Southern African bike touring bikepacking and hosting. I do a fair bit of touring the Western Cape. What did yoy want to do? Where is your start point and finish point? The Karoo is absolutely fantastic. 

Hello Lynksey!! Thank you for the reassuring words! And I signed in for the FB group, was looking for something similar but couldn’t find any group so very great full! We are still figuring out to start in Stellenbosch or Plattenbergh but thanks a lot! 🍀

13 hours ago, Stephan said:

You won't regret doing the Cross Cape. Stunning route. Don't leave your bikes or possessions alone when riding around in the towns and you should be fine. 

Ok sounds fair! I’m born and raised in Ecuador so I’m familiar with paying attention. As it’s my first time Africa I wanted to be sure that I was making a good decision! Thanks a lot! 

12 hours ago, Roul said:

Great that you are you are considering the route and the ride! As said above just pack your common sense... Generally you are safe on the bike Western Cape. We did a short trip last year Dec and will do something again this year.

Hit us up when you come to Swellendam, might be able to offer you some accommodation or at least a braai.

This lady recently passed through town cycling on her own, doing something similar:

https://empowermefirst.college/bike_challenge_23/

Wauw I’m stunned with the great responses I get here 🤩 looking forward to the route again!! Thanks for the invitation, I’ll keep it in mind and since the route stops in Stellenbosch I think we’ll pass there around 9/11 :) keep you posted! 
Great respect for the lady 🤗

12 hours ago, Dappere said:

@Bearens 

First and foremost, perceptions of safety in South Africa depend on who you ask. Safety cannot be compared to that in Europe by any means. Events like the August taxi strike also tend to increase reports of unsafety.

The Cape Cross is a truly beautiful route and one of my favourites. While I haven't done the whole route recently, I do cycle many parts of the Cape Cross routes from the Stellenbosch side often. There are certain roads to be wary of near Stellenbosch, but in most cases, I haven't experienced issues personally. As a South African, I may be more tolerant of certain scenarios in the country than you would be.

Depending on how many days you plan to complete the route, I would avoid cycling in the evenings. Doing a set amount of kilometres per day, town-to-town, and staying over to enjoy local hospitality is a good approach. Many of the roads you'll ride are on private farmland - likely safer than public roads. This is part of the Cape Cycle Route Initiative set up by the Western Cape Government and Wesgro to promote cycling tourism in the region.

Cape Cross route:

Accommodation:

When riding, be sensible, ensure you have a cell phone and possibly a tracking device like a Spot. While you'd likely have cell reception most of the time, load shedding can sometimes disrupt cell towers. You can rent a Spot here: https://sat4rent.co.za/612-2/

Which end are you starting from, Stellenbosch or Plettenberg Bay? If Stellenbosch, let me know - I can ride the first part with you or show you some local routes when here.

That’s also what I thought but it’s difficult to make a real image about it when you can only rely on the internet, so very happy to hear from you people! 

We are planning to ride only by day, seems also a better way to explore and meet locals. 
Thank you a lot for the links! Will definitely check out the wizardry Spot 😄!! 

12 hours ago, Dappere said:

@Bearens 

Cape Cross route:

Accommodation:

We are still not sure where to start. Seems logical so ride towards Cape Town as that is our departure point back to Brussels. But then again we would have to be able to get the bikes to Plettenberg and that’s something I haven’t found yet how to do it. The only way I found on the internet is by the Bazbus but seems a bit weird as it looks more like a tourist hop on bus. Any suggestions on buses that go to Plettenberg and take bikes 😅?  
Anyway, we’ll keep you posted and many thanks for the suggestion to ride with us! Would be lovely, also for a beer 🙂

4 minutes ago, Bearens said:

We are still not sure where to start. Seems logical so ride towards Cape Town as that is our departure point back to Brussels. But then again we would have to be able to get the bikes to Plettenberg and that’s something I haven’t found yet how to do it. The only way I found on the internet is by the Bazbus but seems a bit weird as it looks more like a tourist hop on bus. Any suggestions on buses that go to Plettenberg and take bikes 😅?  
Anyway, we’ll keep you posted and many thanks for the suggestion to ride with us! Would be lovely, also for a beer 🙂

Can you not ship the bikes boxed to Plett and then get there via plane, assemble and go? Or hire a car and just drive there?

I wouldn't worry too much about safety in the rural areas of the WC - your biggest danger zones are in and just outside of major cities. 

For bike transport, if you want to take a bus, speak to Shaun - Shaun Smeda - shaun@intercape.co.za / 072 190 0345

1 hour ago, BuffsVintageBikes said:

I did did this route last year April with a mate of mine, from Plettenberg Bay to Stellenbosch. It is a truly magical route and you will experience the best of what the Cape has to offer in terms of scenery and hospitality.

I booked all our accommodation via the AirBnB app which allowed us a comfortable bed each night and a place to do our washing and prepare breakfast. I don't think I paid more than R500 p/p/p/n.
In the evenings we would just walk into town to find a restaurant for a meal.
Our total experience for the week cost us around R6500 (310 Euros) each for the 8 days and that included and amazing meal each night and the lift up to Plett from CT and the first night in Plett.
The route was extremely safe and mostly remote for large parts of it and we experienced nothing but friendliness from everyone we met along the way.

SA has it's issues but the majority of the country is not out to get you, it's only a select few who spoil it for the rest. Chat to the locals for advice and you will have a wonderful time here.

I'm currently planning our next ride in Oct, this time with my wife as she saw my photos and now wants to experience it for herself 😃

Feel free to DM me if you need any further info 🤙

Theewaters.jpg

Coffee_stop.jpg

Waaauw! This group is amazing! 
Soo happy with all your responses!! If the majority in ZA is like you guys then I’m truly reassured! 

Thank you a lot Buffs for the information!! We are planning to start to bike on the 30/10 so feel free to join with your wife! 

Seems really nice to do it the way you did! We were thinking to do some camping but an Airbnb sounds also quite wonderful 😀 we’ll check it out, specially if the price is that convenient. 

How did you manage to get the bikes to Plettenbergh? I’m searching on the internet and can’t find any real options. 

thanks a lot again! 

Here is us bike packing in Sicily! 

54AB9304-6BDC-4CFF-BCB0-29574ED915CE.jpeg

721501E5-CC41-4BB0-A4E0-D02905DFB852.jpeg

Edited by Bearens