Show us your local legends / koms

The Ouzo

From the Where has your bike taken you today thread

I thought it may be interesting to start a local legends / kom thread,

Just something fun, since my Strava membership will end mid October I wont be able to contribute much.

I'm very much a creature of habit and ride the same routes over and over again, so whilst I have no KOMs (have 2 top 10s though), I do have a long list of "local legends"

image.png.f9e8269b6086c4b7e2fd847cb34a432f.png

image.png.2361276d94268b696fcbc0c0bc035361.png

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one Kom. It's a 4km climb I pieced together from lockdown days when we were only allowed to ride in a 5k radius of home. It's so obscure only 4 people have ever ridden it. I'm the fastest.

There's no way I'm telling any of you Muppets where it is. It.may be a small kingdom but it's mine.... all mine.

10 hours ago, throttles said:

Look at that, BikeHub soema hid my segments for me 🫣🤣🤣

IMG_3149.jpeg

IMG_3150.jpeg

my hero, i havent gotten 1 KOM yet😂....one day when im big

The places I ride Strava won't recognize a KOM for. Something about it being too dangerous or some such and it then hides the leaders list.

I had a KOM at Meerendal a couple of years ago that I was chuffed about, but it got ripped from me by a e-biker.

I still have a standing silver podium on a rather long drag along the R27 which I managed one morning before Covid, and since then I don't ride there anymore because it has become a risky venture with all the homeless vagrants hanging around the vicinity.

I had a local legend at Jonkershoek that stood for a good couple of months until I was forced to not go there every weekend because of diesel costing so much.

image.png.7eedc49e3d2f58a774e6bef0e1d697f4.png

Kindly read with a generous dose of humour ...

At the 2023 Vines and Views I gave it a damn good go to get the kom for the Lutzville climb, i.e. Skaapkop.  Something like 1,6km at 7,4%.

In prepping for the event I worked on high intensity intervals after 2 hours in the saddle.  On the day of the event I slowed down 1km before the climb, settling my heart rate, getting ready for this !!

I was motoring up there !!  (litterally) :P

Half way up I encountered 2 small clusters of riders ... I lost a bit of time being curteous and not just blasting past.

JIP ! :clap:

Got the kom, loading the ride as a normal ride .... well sort off .... as I was on the e-bike :ph34r:

I immediately walked over to Eddie (event organiser) and asked what his appetite was for some fun ....  Leave my name at the top, then at the prize giving surprise the second place rider with the Lutzville prize.  :P  (I was asked to rather change it to an ebike ride)

Only a few minutes later a youngster pipped my time by about 15 seconds !! :eek:  WOW !!

And then it got pipped by another 40 odd seconds !!!  DAMN !!!  These youngsters blitz these climbs !!!!  Helps that they weigh less than my spare battery .....

RESPECT to each and every rider that has a kom, or even "just" high on the leaders list !!

17 minutes ago, Frosty said:

My rides don’t qualify for local legends, as activities need to be “shared with everyone”. The top-10 list ends on page 8, while the KOMs are limited to a handful.IMG_2872.jpeg.cd7c3fa53bf7a32e237a8d95d1d990b5.jpegIMG_2871.jpeg.b14385ed83f79cb907c648a2af3a90d4.jpeg

Wow I think I have only ever once had a top 10 and that was on the flow trail of Plaisir, I'm built more for down than up hill 🤣

I always value the trophy or crown more if it's a strong leaderboard.

There's a shoddily paved road in Brenton, 700 meters at 15% avg, max 22% gradient. Only 350 people have ever attempted to ride up it, and the KOM stood for 7 years, held by Matt Beers. I took 18 seconds off of him while on holiday 2 years ago. 😁

This Sunday I also crept into the top 10 on a big mountain that has thousands of attempts and a couple of serious names in the top 10. More proud of that one than most of my KOMs to be honest.

Edited by bleedToWin

haha yeah but sometimes you take KOMs in front of strong guys that weren't even trying 😅

Check this one from Nova Eroica last year :

image.png.622441a607f0dfce1c31b23376adb4ba.png

I was all in but matt was probably doing metabolic or maybe not even 🤣

I've got 3 pages of KOMs and 10 pages of top10s, maybe I should try harder to move some from the one list to the other 😅

Edited by Jbr

wow, some impressive lists going.

Of my 2 top 10s, the one is easily taken, but its a stupid little segment around my 'hood that not many people ride, seems a bit like cheating to go out and get the KOM on it.

The second is a fairly long segment on my usual route. This one I'll attempt one day, with the right conditions I think I can take it.

Other than those 2 I'm to slow to challenge any other KOMs