Garmin Edge 130 Battery replacement

phenning

So i receive a Edge 130 with 2h battery life.  Not having had good experience with Garmin SA i decided to  replace the battery myself.
Amazon has real 130 replacement batteries , but shipping lipos are a pain  so i decide to try the  closet fit Lipo i could get:

Garmin:

• Dimensions: 29.7 x 19.7 x 3.4mm Weight: 60.0g
  • Voltage: 3.7V, Capacity: 150mAh,

Generic:

• Dimensions: 26.5 x 20 x 3.8mm
  • Voltage: 3,7V Capacity: 110mAh

https://www.robotics.org.za/302025?search=lipo

So although the generic has bit less capacity than the Garmin in, it sure would be better that the  current situation and for R50  it was worth doing.

Steps:

1. Use hair drier to heat screen and glue that holds the screen in
  2. gentry lift the screen
  3. unscrew all the PCBs to get to the battery
  4. cut the red and black wires from the battery
  5. solder in the new battery
  6. replace the PCBs
  7. Charge the unit and check that its working
  8. Glue the screen back

IMG_20231107_182117_281.jpg

IMG_20231107_175549_700.jpg

IMG_20231107_173551_790.jpg

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea , my other option was silicone, but both have same difficulty in sealing the  small mounting interface. let me know how your solution turns out

• 1 month later...

Reviving this,

@phenning, from the same supplier you bought your battery, is there any particular reason you did not opt for this one with a higher capacity.

looks like the dimensions will work

https://www.robotics.org.za/402030

Battery LiPo 200 mAh 3.7V

This is a very small, extremely light weight battery based on Lithium Ion (Lipo) chemistry. The Lipo battery is rated at 3.7V 200mAh. It measure 30.5 x 20.4 x 3.7mm and weighs only 5g. The cable is terminated with a 2pin JST-PH (2mm) connector

Quick Specs

• Rated Capacity: 200mAh
  • Nominal Voltage: 3.7V
  • Dimensions: 30.5mm x 20.4mm x 3.7mm
  • Max Charge Current: 1C (110mA)
  • Normal Charge Current: 0.2C (22mA)
  • Connector: JST-PH (2mm)
  • Weight: 5g

Shipping List

• 1 x Battery LiPo 200 mAh 3.7V

• 4 weeks later...

Great advice, thanks. I replaced the battery and it works 100%, I used silicone to glue the screen back into position mostly to keep it waterproof. Will update the ride time we get out of the 110mAh battery. Beats just throwing it away

I also had an Edge 130 of which the battery only lasted less than 1 1/2 hours. I contemplated replacing its battery, but at that stage I could not source a suitable battery. This happened before this thread was started. 

I decided to go the Garmin support route, sent my Edge 130 to their Rosebank offices with a courier service. They advised me that the battery indeed did not pass their tests and said they can offer me a new Edge 130 Plus for R1550. 

This whole process took about 10 days, from sending it in to receiving the new Edge 130 plus, delivered with a courier. 

1 hour ago, Jaco Steyn said:

I also had an Edge 130 of which the battery only lasted less than 1 1/2 hours. I contemplated replacing its battery, but at that stage I could not source a suitable battery. This happened before this thread was started. 

I decided to go the Garmin support route, sent my Edge 130 to their Rosebank offices with a courier service. They advised me that the battery indeed did not pass their tests and said they can offer me a new Edge 130 Plus for R1550. 

This whole process took about 10 days, from sending it in to receiving the new Edge 130 plus, delivered with a courier. 

how long ago was this ?

I'm going to have to get this sorted before Winter, or maybe even before CTCT.

Garmin reports it was around 10deg this morning. I took the 130 off of charge as I headed out the door, 1 hour in and it tells me battery low, I check and its on 20%.

It did last until the end of the ride, but clearly its on its last legs.

23 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

I'm going to have to get this sorted before Winter, or maybe even before CTCT.

Garmin reports it was around 10deg this morning. I took the 130 off of charge as I headed out the door, 1 hour in and it tells me battery low, I check and its on 20%.

It did last until the end of the ride, but clearly its on its last legs.

Same symptoms mine had before I eventually decided to send it in and had it replaced with the Edge 130 Plus a few posts back. For a short while I used my trusty die-hard Edge 500.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 11:12 AM, The Ouzo said:

Reviving this,

@phenning, from the same supplier you bought your battery, is there any particular reason you did not opt for this one with a higher capacity.

looks like the dimensions will work

https://www.robotics.org.za/402030

Battery LiPo 200 mAh 3.7V

This is a very small, extremely light weight battery based on Lithium Ion (Lipo) chemistry. The Lipo battery is rated at 3.7V 200mAh. It measure 30.5 x 20.4 x 3.7mm and weighs only 5g. The cable is terminated with a 2pin JST-PH (2mm) connector

Quick Specs

• Rated Capacity: 200mAh
  • Nominal Voltage: 3.7V
  • Dimensions: 30.5mm x 20.4mm x 3.7mm
  • Max Charge Current: 1C (110mA)
  • Normal Charge Current: 0.2C (22mA)
  • Connector: JST-PH (2mm)
  • Weight: 5g

Shipping List

• 1 x Battery LiPo 200 mAh 3.7V

Just got an email stating they have stock again, placed an order. Shipping was much more than the actual battery, but still relatively cheap. 
hopefully I get it in time to install and test properly before CTCT