Trek Madone sizing?

Scott roy

Good day all

So I am looking to get my first road bike, I've found one that I like (a 2021 trek madone SLR). However while reading up on these bikes I've read a fair bit about the sizing on theses bikes being a bit out and seat masts being incorrect lengths for the sizes resulting in riders not being able to set the saddle low enough even when they are on the larger end of the size spectrum. I am 181cm tall and have an inseam of about 83-84cm, trek size charts say I should be on a 58cm frame. I will unfortunately not be able to go test the bike, it would be shipped to me and I don't want the bike to arrive and its too big for me. Does anyone perhaps have some experience with this size dilemma or know more specifically if it would work/not work for me?

Much appreciated 

35 minutes ago, Scott roy said:

Good day all

So I am looking to get my first road bike, I've found one that I like (a 2021 trek madone SLR). However while reading up on these bikes I've read a fair bit about the sizing on theses bikes being a bit out and seat masts being incorrect lengths for the sizes resulting in riders not being able to set the saddle low enough even when they are on the larger end of the size spectrum. I am 181cm tall and have an inseam of about 83-84cm, trek size charts say I should be on a 58cm frame. I will unfortunately not be able to go test the bike, it would be shipped to me and I don't want the bike to arrive and its too big for me. Does anyone perhaps have some experience with this size dilemma or know more specifically if it would work/not work for me?

Much appreciated 

I would spend the +-R1000 to sit with a bike fitter and the geometry chart for the madone and have him advise.. 

size charts from manufacturers are dodge at best..

trek website tells me I’m a 56 but I didn’t trust it and went with a 54.. still felt like I was reaching so shortened my stem and got narrower handle bars, then went to a fitter and he told me I’m a 53 frame size. But also adjusted my bar/hood angles and the bike feels amazing. I would have been screwed on a 56.!😡

3 minutes ago, Michael Dewing said:

I would spend the +-R1000 to sit with a bike fitter and the geometry chart for the madone and have him advise.. 

size charts from manufacturers are dodge at best..

trek website tells me I’m a 56 but I didn’t trust it and went with a 54.. still felt like I was reaching so shortened my stem and got narrower handle bars, then went to a fitter and he told me I’m a 53 frame size. But also adjusted my bar/hood angles and the bike feels amazing. I would have been screwed on a 56.!😡

Thanks, I would definitely want to do that, unfortunately I have just emigrated to a country where cycling doesn't seem to be a much of a thing and I have yet to find a fitter here. How tall are you if they say 56 when you need a 53? My fear biggest worry is that I am only 1cm into the 58 cat according to their charts, however my inseam puts me squarely into the 58, or so they say. I do however like a longer bike, I run a 110mm stem on my L MTB. 

Perhaps I should rather look for a 56?

1 minute ago, Scott roy said:

Thanks, I would definitely want to do that, unfortunately I have just emigrated to a country where cycling doesn't seem to be a much of a thing and I have yet to find a fitter here. How tall are you if they say 56 when you need a 53? My fear biggest worry is that I am only 1cm into the 58 cat according to their charts, however my inseam puts me squarely into the 58, or so they say. I do however like a longer bike, I run a 110mm stem on my L MTB. 

Perhaps I should rather look for a 56?

I am 177cm tall, so in between medium and large(54/56cm) according to charts.. but it also depends who you speak to.. when I was looking for my first bike and knew absolutely nothing I was told I was S,M, and large by various local shops.. 🙄

fitters are great because they take other factors into consideration when sizing, not just height and inseam.. 

that being said apparently it is easier to fit a frame that’s slightly too big than too small..

I’m not sure how you would do it then but my opinion is get a fitter to advise, Im not qualified to tell you a 56 would be better or not..

8 minutes ago, Scott roy said:

Thanks ,I am now even more skeptical, I really like the bike though. 

I have to ask why the madone.? Do you just like how it looks.? 

you saying it’s your first road bike.? Are you racing.?! Because the madone is a serious race machine(anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here at all) from what I understand.. 

you might find it difficult to get into straight away, the riding position is going to be aggressive.!

domane is the endurance bike and would have a more relaxed rider position..

just food for thought..

With the madone's it's one size up from normal, usually I ride a 56 but my madone was a 58 and I had to get the longer seat post. Make sure which length seat post is on the bike, its an expensive item to replace.

1 hour ago, andreas17777 said:

With the madone's it's one size up from normal, usually I ride a 56 but my madone was a 58 and I had to get the longer seat post. Make sure which length seat post is on the bike, its an expensive item to replace.

Thanks ,then I think I should be alright on the 58, I hope. 

1 hour ago, Michael Dewing said:

I have to ask why the madone.? Do you just like how it looks.? 

you saying it’s your first road bike.? Are you racing.?! Because the madone is a serious race machine(anyone feel free to correct me if I’m wrong here at all) from what I understand.. 

you might find it difficult to get into straight away, the riding position is going to be aggressive.!

domane is the endurance bike and would have a more relaxed rider position..

just food for thought..

Well I’ve always liked the madone, I’m going second hand and I can get a really great deal on this bike. Of course I’m open to other options but this is my favourite pick. I’ve raced a bit of xc and I would like to try my hand at some road races. I ride a really aggressive position so I think that will be alright. I plan to use it for all round use ,there’s a lot of mountain passes in my new country so I have thought maybe a all out climbing bike would be better but after a lot of consideration I decided an all round bike will suit better and I’ve read the madone climbs quite well too. 

27 minutes ago, Scott roy said:

Well I’ve always liked the madone, I’m going second hand and I can get a really great deal on this bike. Of course I’m open to other options but this is my favourite pick. I’ve raced a bit of xc and I would like to try my hand at some road races. I ride a really aggressive position so I think that will be alright. I plan to use it for all round use ,there’s a lot of mountain passes in my new country so I have thought maybe a all out climbing bike would be better but after a lot of consideration I decided an all round bike will suit better and I’ve read the madone climbs quite well too. 

Okay cool, sound like you know what you getting yourself into.. 

and if it’s a good deal I’d say go for it.. it’s about what’s going to make you happiest as well.. 

the size thing is a bit of a conundrum but possibly someone with better expertise will pop up on this thread..😃

💪🏼😉🤙🏻

4 hours ago, Scott roy said:

Good day all

Much appreciated 

I am 180cm with a touch under an 85cm inseam. For both Madone and Checkpoint I ride a 56.

1 hour ago, Michael Dewing said:

Okay cool, sound like you know what you getting yourself into.. 

and if it’s a good deal I’d say go for it.. it’s about what’s going to make you happiest as well.. 

the size thing is a bit of a conundrum but possibly someone with better expertise will pop up on this thread..😃

💪🏼😉🤙🏻

I wouldn’t say that😂 

It is a great deal but alas the sizing is a curved ball. 

fingers crossed that someone can clear it up 100%

1 hour ago, Dappere said:

I am 180cm with a touch under an 85cm inseam. For both Madone and Checkpoint I ride a 56.

Thanks ,does it at all feel a bit short? Or spot on? 

21 minutes ago, Scott roy said:

Thanks ,does it at all feel a bit short? Or spot on? 

The bike feels just right for me, can't really see myself on anything smaller or bigger.