GCN+ Closing

WIPEOUT 1000

14 hours ago, Scott roy said:

What device are you running this on? Would I be able to run it on my Apple TV?

On Apple TV - I doubt. For starters you cannot run a VPN on an Apple TV. You will have run the VPN on your router if it supports it. I have also never tried Kodi with additional builds on Apple TV. So far it works fine on Windows PC and Android Media players 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Following these instructions step by step worked 99.99999% for me. The screenshots also match what I see on screen.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-doomzday-wizard-kodi/

The last step when selecting the Doomzday build. I selected the Big Kev Doomzday option.

The Eurosport option didn’t work, but StupidSport did load. I also find it incredibly slow to load the channel, so will only use this as my backup if Sporza doesn’t work, eg. De Ronde and Paris Roubaix weren’t live prior to GCN+ starting up.

I followed https://www.wirelesshack.org/top-sports-addons-for-kodi.html and although screenshots weren't 100% aligned it was still pretty much straight forward. What I struggled with was the UI of the Aspire Build and how to navigate to TV SPORTS. Once I got that mastered, it was fairly straight forward.

Edited by pedal menace

1 hour ago, michaelbiker said:

Friend of mine in Germany kindly provisioned a virtual card on Revolut to buy an annual subscription to Discovery+. There is literally only cycling worth watching but it works - even though the app is in German. The commentary is in English. Everything works well over VPN.  I would say better than the GCN app ever did. 

Quick Question @michaelbiker: I bank with Investec and one can open an UK account at an admin cost of 10 pounds/month. That should allow me to subscribe to Discovery+. Do you get exactly the same cycling coverage on Discovery+ than one did on GCN+? I.e. they stream Eurosport channels? By that I mean races/stages streamed from the start - unlike DSTVCrapper which mostly only shows the last 2 hours with at least 90 minutes of adds, many of them crammed into the last 2km of the stage. 

Edited by pedal menace

23 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Following these instructions step by step worked 99.99999% for me. The screenshots also match what I see on screen.

https://seo-michael.co.uk/how-to-install-doomzday-wizard-kodi/

The last step when selecting the Doomzday build. I selected the Big Kev Doomzday option.

The Eurosport option didn’t work, but StupidSport did load. I also find it incredibly slow to load the channel, so will only use this as my backup if Sporza doesn’t work, eg. De Ronde and Paris Roubaix weren’t live prior to GCN+ starting up.

Mine was incredibly slow and buggy, but over the weekend there were updates installed and it appears to be working much better now.

44 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

On Apple TV - I doubt. For starters you cannot run a VPN on an Apple TV. You will have run the VPN on your router if it supports it. I have also never tried Kodi with additional builds on Apple TV. So far it works fine on Windows PC and Android Media players 

Thanks 

I read up a bit and it seems there is a way to do it but it’s quite lengthly. Yes router is running a vpn, I think I’ll give it a go on an old windows laptop. 

4 minutes ago, Scott roy said:

Thanks 

I read up a bit and it seems there is a way to do it but it’s quite lengthly. Yes router is running a vpn, I think I’ll give it a go on an old windows laptop. 

Cool - hope it works. Feel free to ask for advice. I personally do not like VPN on a router unless the router supports split tunnelling. At least then one can route only specific IPs via the VPN route and others via normal non VPN route. I prefer this since VPN can easily slow down your speed by at least 30-40% 

2 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Cool - hope it works. Feel free to ask for advice. I personally do not like VPN on a router unless the router supports split tunnelling. At least then one can route only specific IPs via the VPN route and others via normal non VPN route. I prefer this since VPN can easily slow down your speed by at least 30-40% 

Yip it’s one of those. 

I've streamed the cycling on kodi without VPN has anyone tried it without?

35 minutes ago, Meezo said:

I've streamed the cycling on kodi without VPN has anyone tried it without?

Honestly I have not tried 😬🤐

1 hour ago, pedal menace said:

Quick Question @michaelbiker: I bank with Investec and one can open an UK account at an admin cost of 10 pounds/month. That should allow me to subscribe to Discovery+. Do you get exactly the same cycling coverage on Discovery+ than one did on GCN+? I.e. they stream Eurosport channels? By that I mean races/stages streamed from the start - unlike DSTVCrapper which mostly only shows the last 2 hours with at least 90 minutes of adds, many of them crammed into the last 2km of the stage. 

I don't think the location of the card matters, it's the address attached to it. Also on a UK account the price is a lot higher because you have to subscribe to the month-to-month option but "beggars can't be choosers".

You will need to get an iTunes UK account too to get the app if you want to watch on your phone.

All of the races are there as far as I can tell - just like GCN - and On Demand. Whether they are streamed in their entirety I think depends on the broadcaster. They even have the lame Breakaway show before and after the race. There are zero ads. It's pretty much the same as GCN but I've only had it for a few days.

1 hour ago, pedal menace said:

You can just Airplay from your iPhone / Mac with VPN rather than install anything on your Apple TV. Works well. If you are on Windows / Android - I am not sure.

4 minutes ago, michaelbiker said:

I don't think the location of the card matters, it's the address attached to it. Also on a UK account the price is a lot higher because you have to subscribe to the month-to-month option but "beggars can't be choosers".

You will need to get an iTunes UK account too to get the app if you want to watch on your phone.

All of the races are there as far as I can tell - just like GCN - and On Demand. Whether they are streamed in their entirety I think depends on the broadcaster. They even have the lame Breakaway show before and after the race. There are zero ads. It's pretty much the same as GCN but I've only had it for a few days.

You can just Airplay from your iPhone / Mac with VPN rather than install anything on your Apple TV. Works well. If you are on Windows / Android - I am not sure.

Tx! Are you saying that if I have a UK Bank Account, but my residential address linked to that card still shows SA - I may still not be able to subscribe to Discovery+? 

2 minutes ago, pedal menace said:

Tx! Are you saying that if I have a UK Bank Account, but my residential address linked to that card still shows SA - I may still not be able to subscribe to Discovery+? 

I can't say for certain with the UK as I wasn't asked for an address when checking out on their website, but this was for Germany with a German credit card. If you try checking out via something like the AppStore / Playstore you will be asked for an address. Maybe try going through the payment flow and see if they ask for an address. I tried this exact approach with a Wise card but they rejected it.

Woohoo, received this email from the Apple Store today; effectively a refund equivalent to 2 months.

GCN has advised us that the subscription Yearly Subscription Package has been discontinued. As a result, you received fewer issues than anticipated at the time of your subscription purchase.

We have issued a partial refund in the amount of R114.41. Please allow up to 30 days for these funds to be applied to your original payment method.

Regards,
App Store Support Team

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Woohoo, received this email from the Apple Store today; effectively a refund equivalent to 2 months.

GCN has advised us that the subscription Yearly Subscription Package has been discontinued. As a result, you received fewer issues than anticipated at the time of your subscription purchase.

We have issued a partial refund in the amount of R114.41. Please allow up to 30 days for these funds to be applied to your original payment method.

Regards,
App Store Support Team

Ahh typical Apple...🤪Received my Android refund In January already. Sorry - one cannot miss and opportunity for a stab at Apple..🤣