Speeds faster than 90km/h!

TallboyA

Did 102 km/h motorpacing on national highway. Some years ago where there a crazyhead in Bethlehem that did motorpacing way over 100 km/h on a regular basis.

However the interesing apart is going thru the tunnels at the bottom on the mountain. The term "focusing on the light at the end of the tunnel" takes on a whole new meaning when it's starlight you are focusing on.
Can relate to that one. Went thru du Toits Kloof tunnel and was one of the scariest sensations ever - total darkness except for the light at the end and to to make it worse as we went thru there was a mini waterfall that hit us.

Max speed - on the tandem just sub 100 on both Tiekie Draai (Cape Town side) and Hellshoogte (Pniel side) but never in the rain.

Did a little race in Luxembourg called General Patton- on day 2 were hitting 110km/h on one of the descents. Nasty hairpin at the bottom but lots of fun.

Did Sir Lowry Pass a couple of times in access of 95km/h way back in the 1990 (with 20c tires and hairnet helmets).... when guys like Hennie Wentzel, Eddie Njiboer still came passed us at around 100-105km/h!!!

Suikerbosrand - around 75km/h on some decents; Roodeplaats dam decents around 79 km/h behind tandems!

At the dry Shova on a tandem had an average speed down fields hill of 77.3 and a max of 91.6. Not sure that I would like to atempt that in the rain

Nowadays with the roads closed, speeds over 90 in the wet are easily achievable at the Shova. Even in normal training, you can use both lanes if the road is quiet and always get over 80kph

I can relate to the tunnel issue. There is a tunnel on the descent of the Col d'Aubisque before the col du Soulour. For 100m it is totally dark and then the "light at the end of the tunnel" appears left of centre. Scary during the Etape as I entered the tunnel with 20 others ~ was sure that someone would turn to hard left!linnega2006-11-05 09:46:42

Nowadays with the roads closed' date=' speeds over 90 in the wet are easily achievable at the Shova. Even in normal training, you can use both lanes if the road is quiet and always get over 80kph

[/quote']

Agreed, however we only did the "fun ride" from hillcrest and fields was still open to traffic at that time of the morning.