Du Toitskloof Pass Close Call

Niel1

This morning we went out for a ride up and over Du Toitskloof pass. On our way back coming down the pass (direction Paarl) a navy blue Hummer (GP registration plates) came flying past us and almost took us out - super super close call. (Around 09:50)

The guy then cut the next corner almost taking out 2 riders coming up the pass. 

He then pulled off on the right side of the road and picked up a rock and as we came down he started running across the road to be in our lane. 

Luckily we had some time and made a u-turn to avoid any confrontation. Luckily he then left - went down a road where he pulled off. Picture uploaded where he went in. 

Screenshot_20231224_121810_Maps.jpg

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Unfortunate, anything could be done in that case if you for example get the plates ? That guy clearly has a problem with cyclists (and a problem in general if all you have in mind on a sunday morning, especially 24th of december is to **** up a cyclist..

I made contact with the 2 riders coming up the pass. And his words were "it's almost like he deliberately tried to run us over"

Interesting question @Jbr, I wonder how this would be handled by law. Definitely not a nice experience... riding down the rest of the pass, looking behind us every 10sec just to make sure he doesn't come back.

It is as though we need to ride with GoPro's on the back of our bikes as proof of these maniac driver's antics and to record their number plates...

I wonder if one could lay a charge of reckless & negligent driving when submitted with evidence from a Varia radar with camera (video shows how close to the rider and the radar shows the vehicle’s approach speed). Is passing within 1.5m actually law or just a guideline campaign by PPA? 

"The Pedal Power Association, a Public Benefit Organisation with more than 18 000 members, launched the very successful 'Cyclists Stay Alive at 1.5' campaign back in 2011 which resulted in a 1 metre passing law which was promulgated in 2013 in the Western Cape."

9 minutes ago, Jbr said:

Wasn't it mentionned that he got out of the car and accross the road with a rock in his hand ? seems pretty threatening to me

Jip. We had to make a u-turn and he stood there for a while waiting for us. 

1 minute ago, Niel1 said:

Update. I got hold of the owner of the water tanks where he went in. Got a name and surname. He will send me footage of the gate.

Paarl registration plates - black hummer H2.

Make an example of him if you can

Joseph works with traffic fines in Drakenstein

021 807 6284

Email -

Screenshot_20231224_144255_Gallery.jpg.a0e5650158ddf45cee565d9a44a33a30.jpg

Probably not in his scope to deal with this issue, but he should know who can assist you.

1 hour ago, wolver said:

I wonder if one could lay a charge of reckless & negligent driving when submitted with evidence from a Varia radar with camera (video shows how close to the rider and the radar shows the vehicle’s approach speed). Is passing within 1.5m actually law or just a guideline campaign by PPA? 

Waiting for that test case but not optimistic. The law may be on the cyclist's side but I cannot see any prosecutor or private individual with the endurance and stamina to see such a process through the courts. 

14 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Joseph works with traffic fines in Drakenstein

021 807 6284

Email -

Screenshot_20231224_144255_Gallery.jpg.a0e5650158ddf45cee565d9a44a33a30.jpg

Probably not in his scope to deal with this issue, but he should know who can assist you.

Dankie! 

3 hours ago, Thomo said:

"The Pedal Power Association, a Public Benefit Organisation with more than 18 000 members, launched the very successful 'Cyclists Stay Alive at 1.5' campaign back in 2011 which resulted in a 1 metre passing law which was promulgated in 2013 in the Western Cape."

Yeah wow wasn't that helpful.

3 hours ago, Niel1 said:

Update. I got hold of the owner of the water tanks where he went in. Got a name and surname. He will send me footage of the gate.

Paarl registration plates - black hummer H2.

Update... 

The driver of the Hummer is renting from the owner of the water tanks up on du Toitskloof. 

The owner of those water tanks just got back to me and said that unfortunately he couldn't find anything on the camera footage. 

I call total BS... backing a buddy here.

So in short... be very careful, and on tbe lookout for a black hummer with CJ registration plates, when riding up du toitskloof pass. 

Stay safe on the roads guys and girls!!