[Event] Franschhoek 500

Gravalist

Event Name: Franschhoek 500
When: 27/12/2024 - 29/12/2024
Where: Huguenot Memorial Monument, Franschhoek, Western Cape
Category: Gravel

In the heart of the Western Cape, where vineyards whisper tales of centuries past, a different kind of adventure unfolds. The Franschhoek 500 Ultra Cycling Bikepacking Gravel Race, unlike the typical wine tour ride, is a daring exploration of the world's most exquisite gravel cycling roads.

The Challenge: This is not a leisurely pedal through vineyard-lined paths. It's a test of grit, stamina, and the sheer thrill of conquering challenging terrain. With only 150 kilometers on smooth tarmac, the majority of the Franschhoek 500 Ultra Cycling Bikepacking Gravel Race spans over the region's finest gravel roads, promising an exhilarating journey for the daring cyclist.

The Terrain: While 500 graces the event's name, it's not a smooth tarmac adventure. The route introduces riders to the rugged embrace of gravel roads, testing their mettle against the very essence of the Western Cape's diverse landscapes. Each turn brings a new challenge, demanding a dance between man and machine.

The Resupply Dilemma: As riders push their limits, they'll discover that resupply points are a rare oasis in this arduous journey. Limited provisions add an element of strategy, forcing participants to calculate their moves wisely. In the midst of the race, the pursuit of sustenance becomes a race within a race.

A Symphony of Busy Season: Amidst the grueling ride, participants will find themselves in the midst of the Western Cape's busy season. The air is electric with the vibrancy of summer, offering a sensory feast of sights and sounds. Cyclists become witnesses to the region's liveliness as they pedal through the dynamic landscape.

Emotional Peaks and Valleys: The Franschhoek 500 is not merely a physical challenge; it's an emotional rollercoaster. The undulating terrain mirrors the highs and lows of the riders' emotions. As they ascend, conquer, and descend, the landscape becomes a mirror to their own journey — a reflection of determination, triumph, and, perhaps, a hint of struggle.

The Culmination: The journey is not just about covering kilometers; it was about embracing the spirit of adventure, immersing in the untamed beauty of the Western Cape, and experiencing the soul-stirring challenge of the Franschhoek 500 Ultra Cycling Bikepacking Gravel Race.

Go to Event Page.

Details are scares on the website.
Had a look.  Could not find enough info.  So in 'n week I'll forget about it and never return.

Logistics?  Seems it will be 3 separate routes if I look at the Komoot link?
Format?
Cost?
Time limit?
Etc. etc. etc.

7 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Had a look.  Could not find enough info.  So in 'n week I'll forget about it and never return.

Format?
Cost?
Time limit?
Etc. etc. etc.

It's weird - says it's a self-supported ride and we are required to take out their insurance to cover medical and rescue emergencies but no further details. There are plenty of superlatives in the blurb but as you say, skimpy on the details.

Not at all clear what sets this apart from the long gravel ride I'm doing with my mates on Saturday.

In principle I'm keen on a series like this - I think there might be a market for something like the 36one closer to Cape Town for example - but this advertising seems almost deliberately vague. Maybe they want to keep the event small?

1 minute ago, Mamil said:

It's weird - says it's a self-supported ride and we are required to take out their insurance to cover medical and rescue emergencies but no further details. There are plenty of superlatives in the blurb but as you say, skimpy on the details.

Not at all clear what sets this apart from the long gravel ride I'm doing with my mates on Saturday.

In principle I'm keen on a series like this - I think there might be a market for something like the 36one closer to Cape Town for example - but this advertising seems almost deliberately vague. Maybe they want to keep the event small?

Gatekeepers!

Is it because the planning is still not finalised or is it a classic social media perspective one sees all the time...... 'New sponsors and goals this year - watch this space!'... 'New things coming from me this year, wish I could tell everyone more! Soon.... keep an eye out for details that will blow you away!'

I immediately stop watching that space. The only Cliffhanger worth watching came out in 1993 starring Sly Stallone and John Lithgow

53 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Format?
Cost?
Time limit?
Etc. etc. etc.

SIX new "500" events posted this morning .... all by Gravalist

At a glance .... similar style "self supported" events, just all over SA ....

The 2023 and 2024 Sedgefield events took some time to copy-paste the exact same wording ....

May be many more requests for more details.

NONE shows any routes ....

You must register to see any costs ....

Seems the Burra 500 will be the first one, and thus the one to uncover the mystery behind this series of "500" events ....

Am I the only one wondering if you have to collect your own fire wood .......  (hope I am wrong)

Edited by ChrisF

11 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

Gatekeepers!

Is it because the planning is still not finalised or is it a classic social media perspective one sees all the time...... 'New sponsors and goals this year - watch this space!'... 'New things coming from me this year, wish I could tell everyone more! Soon.... keep an eye out for details that will blow you away!'

I immediately stop watching that space. The only Cliffhanger worth watching came out in 1993 starring Sly Stallone and John Lithgow

What a movie - gonna watch it again this evening - cos I'm still on HOLIDAY!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Jewbacca said:

Gatekeepers!

giphy.gif

Seriously though, never stop with the 90s references.

2 hours ago, ChrisF said:

SIX new "500" events posted this morning .... all by Gravalist

At a glance .... similar style "self supported" events, just all over SA ....

The 2023 and 2024 Sedgefield events took some time to copy-paste the exact same wording ....

May be many more requests for more details.

NONE shows any routes ....

You must register to see any costs ....

Seems the Burra 500 will be the first one, and thus the one to uncover the mystery behind this series of "500" events ....

Am I the only one wondering if you have to collect your own fire wood .......  (hope I am wrong)

If you've signed up for one of their events and read the accompanying manual, you'll get the impression that much of the experienced friction might have been intentional.

The goal is to provide a space for those who enjoy unsupported ultra-distance bike packing, offering a shared experience of pure enjoyment – no fluff, no nonsense, no bureaucracy – in a cycling discipline with like-minded individuals.

This doesn't resonate with everyone, and that's perfectly fine.

36 minutes ago, NickGM said:

giphy.gif

Seriously though, never stop with the 90s references.

I feel very attacked and offended

6 minutes ago, Jewbacca said:

I feel very attacked and offended

Hahaha, don't, they're always very much appreciated (despite the somewhat sarcastic gif).

There was a similar conversation around the 500 series events last year - 

Really wish they would be more clearer on the events so expectations can be met.

Hoping to do the Bura500 this year as we still have unfinished business!

23 hours ago, Jewbacca said:

Gatekeepers!

Interesting to rewatch it - once I made it past the cringe banter of the opening scene we thoroughly enjoyed it. Great scenery and the plot and dialogue seemed curiously naive from a 30 year distance. Also, I don't remember 90's baddies being quite so stupid!

45 minutes ago, Mamil said:

Interesting to rewatch it - once I made it past the cringe banter of the opening scene we thoroughly enjoyed it. Great scenery and the plot and dialogue seemed curiously naive from a 30 year distance. Also, I don't remember 90's baddies being quite so stupid!

hahahaha John Lithgow's dialogue over the radio is iconic! (But yes, baddies were thicker than mud in 90s action films).

The scene when he whips out his spyderco knife lives in my head rent free. I went out and ordered one of those serrated thumb draw knives the day after watching it!

Cliffhanger is almost up there with 'Hard Target' with Jean Claude/Arnold Vosloo and 'Surviving the Game' with ice Tea in my top 10 guilty pleasures from the 90s. (Not including massive crushes on Elizabeth Shue and Rosanna Arquette)

Anyway, pity neither of them can be at the Franschoek 500. I'd definitely enter