Being taken for a ride? TRP Slate Evo problems

Hi

Bought a new bike end of last year, since the beginning the rear brake (TRP Slate Evo) has had issues. I though it just needed a bleed but even after a bleed the problems persisted.

So I just took more notice of the brake and soon realized that it was leaking out the bleed port screw when out on the trails. So I took it in to be checked out, the bike shop in question apparently reached out to Omnico, which apparently sent a 'new' bleed screw which they replaced. However this 'new' screw looks very similar to the one they replaced it with, how do I know? Well the screw looks like it's been inserted by a drunk person in pitch black darkness. The only new thing I do however notice is the strands of plumbers tape, surely this is not recommended or expected from a brand new set of calipers? Pic attached of rear brake and then front brake for reference.

Rear brake screw:

IMG_20240110_174154.jpg.e7c1c4640c22a88d00fcf4a8589b6308.jpg

Front brake, notice the lack of tools marks and that the lip is not scratched up:

IMG_20240110_174217.jpg.c5722e12b8a88e313ece227c94b84a40.jpg

What are my options here? I would preferably want to by pass this LBS completely, every time I've taken one of my bikes to get serviced it's come back with more issues that it went in with. They're communication is non-existent and they have zero QA on serviced bikes. 

Edited by Newbie321

2 minutes ago, Nickyr said:

Who is your lbs?

I don't want to name and shame just yet

16 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

What are my options here? I would preferably want to by pass this LBS completely, every time I've taken one of my bikes to get serviced it's come back with more issues that it went in with. They're communication is non-existent and they have zero QA on serviced bikes. 

Contact Omnico, and ask for other authorised workshops near you.

That is the only option to keep the warrantee ......

OR .... take it to a GOOD workshop..... which may well not be on their list.

The two best workshops near me is not on their list .... for my sanity I now go to these workshops

6 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Contact Omnico, and ask for other authorised workshops near you.

That is the only option to keep the warrantee ......

OR .... take it to a GOOD workshop..... which may well not be on their list.

The two best workshops near me is not on their list .... for my sanity I now go to these workshops

Meh, at this point I'd rather just buy some shimano deore's and take it to Knipe... 

1 minute ago, Newbie321 said:

Meh, at this point I'd rather just buy some shimano deore's and take it to Knipe... 

Exactly what I ended up doing.

Okay, the other good shop is closer to where we live, so I took it to Mark 👍

32 minutes ago, Newbie321 said:

Knipe are excellent! No point going back to your LBS, will likely lead to more frustration.

I'd LOVE to know the LBS.

You're sure it's not one of those roadside exhaust repairers with the gas bottles and car Ramps?

Frightening.

I ride Sram Level TLM which were replaced TWICE under warranty. My (no longer) LBS used to answer my question as to why the rear brakes didn't have that bitey feel on the lever like the fronts with "it's due to the longer hose".

I learned from YouTube and bought the Sram Bleeding Edge tool and they now feel identical!

Good Luck!

🙂

Best bikes durbanville... I've stopped using them even before the latest headache. This just adds to the list of reason why I'll never go back. 

A Brand new Caliper would be a Better Option. 

Back Brakes do Feel "Slightly" different to Front. More Sponge but just a little.

I was at Cycle Lab to buy a HRM and Checked Six Bikes.

Edited by dasilvarsa

1 hour ago, Newbie321 said:

Best bikes durbanville... I've stopped using them even before the latest headache. This just adds to the list of reason why I'll never go back. 

I just wanted to say that looks like a Trek and if you're close to Knipe there's only one agent. I would rather give my bike to MICA for repair 🤣 

9 hours ago, love2fly said:

I'd LOVE to know the LBS.

You're sure it's not one of those roadside exhaust repairers with the gas bottles and car Ramps?

Frightening.

I ride Sram Level TLM which were replaced TWICE under warranty. My (no longer) LBS used to answer my question as to why the rear brakes didn't have that bitey feel on the lever like the fronts with "it's due to the longer hose".

I learned from YouTube and bought the Sram Bleeding Edge tool and they now feel identical!

Good Luck!

🙂

The length of the hose should/does not influence the quality of braking.  A damaged or poor quality hose can causes the hose to expand thus creating extra volume for fluid in the hose giving spongy feeling.