Cyclelab

JJDT

5 minutes ago, 117 said:

ive been around this plot of land trying to keep sanity

that's not going to happen when you waste so much energy on inconsequential things

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, you're right. Theres just too many sheeople accepting its correct, for me to butt against

6 hours ago, The Ouzo said:

lets paint a different scenario

whilst you're paying for your brake bleed, bike "safely" parked off to one side, some unscrupulous character casually takes your bike and walks out the door with it, Security is no longer instructed to check receipts, so this person goes unchecked. Would you be happy with that ?

It grates me too that I need all my items checked like a criminal, but I also understand the reasoning behind it.

Don't think it's really that effective, but it is really a none issue for me, never felt like it's been 'treated/checked like a criminal' and the guy is always polite and helpful. So really, seems more like an entitled tantrum than anything. 

Had one occasion in France at a mall where my receipt was checked upon exit, depending on where you are in the States it's not that uncommon either. But maybe I haven't been globetrotting enough to live over the seas. 

42 minutes ago, 117 said:

Yeah, you're right. Theres just too many sheeople accepting its correct, for me to butt against

Edited by Shaheedalex
posting Error

1 hour ago, Shebeen said:

if you ask for a bikerack does he recommend the expensive swedish one?

no, but she will check if you have a voucher to get some money off the swede

I have had good and bad experiences with Cycle Lab. But they are still my go to place for cycling related purchases. In my experience, they have always course corrected when they have wronged me.

There is something I have been struggling with though. There is a persitent notion that one should carry some sort of shame when they support corperations such as CL instead of a LBS.

Do the advocates for this mantain the same approach with food and other things? Buying from the gogo at the corner instead of PnP and woolies. Use a taxi instead of supporting big bad conglomorates such as Toyota, Ford etc. 

I gues my questions are.

-Whats the criteria for deciding which local business deserve undying support even if they dont make sense financially.

-Is one heartless if they just want value for money and not necessarily care where that is found? 

I am not trying to be nasty or funny. Its a genuine point of interest for me.

Edited by Ncayi

22 minutes ago, Ncayi said:

I have had good and bad experiences with Cycle Lab. But they are still my go to place for cycling related purchases. In my experience, they have always course corrected when they have wronged me.

There is something I have been struggling with though. There is a persitent notion that one should carry some sort of shame when they support corperations such as CL instead of a LBS.

Do the advocates for this mantain the same approach with food and other things? Buying from the gogo at the corner instead of PnP and woolies. Use a taxi instead of supporting big bad conglomorates such as Toyota, Ford etc. 

I gues my questions are.

-Whats the criteria for deciding which local business deserve undying support even if they dont make sense financially.

-Is one heartless if they just want value for money and not necessarily care where that is found? 

I am not trying to be nasty or funny. Its a genuine point of interest for me.

For me comes down to service first, price a close second.

I go to the "big shops" for cycling computers, helmets and similar.  Then again, on these items one tends to do more homework, and it inevitably comes down to who has stock and the best price.

Servicing of my bikes.  I do most of the small stuff myself, so my bikes goes in for suspension and the likes.  I have fixed up enough botch jobs from the big shops on friends bikes, no way my bikes gets booked in there !!  For this my bike goes to my LBS, with which I have a trust relationship of nearly 35 years.

For me there is no "one answer" to your question.  Each requirement has a different service provider that best suits the need of the day.

Then again, we are spoilt with MANY bike shops in a 10km radius from home !!

It is "easy" for us to support the one that provides best service, at a competative price.  And sometimes that is the "big name shops", sometimes the LBS.  OFTEN neither has everything on the shopping list of the day, so I do spend time in all of these shops.

1 minute ago, ChrisF said:

For me comes down to service first, price a close second.

I go to the "big shops" for cycling computers, helmets and similar.  Then again, on these items one tends to do more homework, and it inevitably comes down to who has stock and the best price.

Servicing of my bikes.  I do most of the small stuff myself, so my bikes goes in for suspension and the likes.  I have fixed up enough botch jobs from the big shops on friends bikes, no way my bikes gets booked in there !!  For this my bike goes to my LBS, with which I have a trust relationship of nearly 35 years.

For me there is no "one answer" to your question.  Each requirement has a different service provider that best suits the need of the day.

Then again, we are spoilt with MANY bike shops in a 10km radius from home !!

It is "easy" for us to support the one that provides best service, at a competative price.  And sometimes that is the "big name shops", sometimes the LBS.  OFTEN neither has everything on the shopping list of the day, so I do spend time in all of these shops.

I completely agree with with that approach. I also prefer servicing through a LBS because my expertise are quite limited and they come in handy for emergencies. But I have no particular emotional attachment to them.

But I price match like a lunatic trough CL for things like gels, cleats chains etc. I sometimes find items cheaper in Gqeberha, Cape Town etc and have no time for the logistics of ordering getting a quote etc.

4 hours ago, 117 said:

Not sheeple necessarily.. mate there are bigger problems in the world, choose your battles.. or just count yourself lucky that you can go into a store, spend money and get treated like a criminal but still get to go home because you’re not one.. 🤷🏼‍♂️