CSA / gravel

betaboy

I see on the cycling SA website that Gravel is still not a listed discipline? This was the same case as last year. I think with the money they take, an updated website should be key in attracting new members.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 minutes ago, betaboy said:

I see on the cycling SA website that Gravel is still not a listed discipline? This was the same case as last year. I think with the money they take, an updated website should be key in attracting new members.

Ebikes also not listed with them .... but all ebikers must pay the CSA-event-tax ....

Funny bunch that ... 🤣🤣

14 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Ebikes also not listed with them .... but all ebikers must pay the CSA-event-tax ....

Funny bunch that ... 🤣🤣

You moto -bicycles are the black sheep it seems..LOL.

23 minutes ago, betaboy said:

You moto -bicycles are the black sheep it seems..LOL.

Only half a step behind the hardtails with drop bars ... 😋

Poor sods with ebikes with gravel tyres .... ooooo crap, thats ME ... 🙈

32 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Only half a step behind the hardtails with drop bars ... 😋

Poor sods with ebikes with gravel tyres .... ooooo crap, thats ME ... 🙈

…an e-bike will be my retirement machine for those last rides. I’ll also wait till we go hydrogen. 🤭. I see those tanks already outside future bicycle service centres. Don’t say I didn’t warn… LOL. 

Well, gravel does have a nationals at least...

A friend's BIL was awarded WP colours for gravel, but there seems to be nothing like that up in GP.

3 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

A friend's BIL was awarded WP colours for gravel, but there seems to be nothing like that up in GP.

There are events, and it currently falls under MTB.
Ironic, as a gravel bike can't compete in the same category as a MTB.

3 hours ago, Frosty said:

There are events, and it currently falls under MTB.
Ironic, as a gravel bike can't compete in the same category as a MTB.

Gravel has its own rules under MTB in the CyclingSA  Rulebook. Yes, gravel bikes cannot compete against MTB as drop handlebars are not allowed. The organizers should just sanction their events as gravel and not MTB. Then everybody can compete. 

7 hours ago, mecheng89 said:

Had a good chat with the Gauteng Gravel Commissioner.
Gauteng is behind the WP, no doubt, but give it some time to grow.

Not sure the WP is continuing with it this year. I was hoping to race it as an age grouper but no dates have been released yet despite the dates for the XCO and XCM being made public.

:offtopic:

Cycling South Africa shares an acronym with the equally useless Cricket South Africa 

Logic dictates that the acronym is the cause of the uselessness as they do not share the same management team....

"Western Cape Gravel Cup Events.
21 May 23 RONDE VAN RIEBEEK
3 June 23 THE GALLOWS
9 SEP 23 THE CEDAR
17 SEP 23 BOLAND GRAVEL MONSTER
14 OCT 2023 PRINCE GEORGE 100 MILER
Please take note of the following:
The Western Cape Gravel Cup will consist of 5 events
The Western Cape Gravel Cup will be open to Elite and all Veteran Categories as per CSA age categories
A rider best four (4) results will count towards the WC Gravel Cup log.
A rider must compete in a minimum for 3 events to qualify for a position on the WC Gravel log.
A rider must be in possession of a valid CSA Licence or Members in order to qualify to come into recognition for
the WC Gravel log.
Prize giving’s and podiums for the WC Gravel Cup will be held at the WC Cape XCO and XCM awards evening at
the end of the season.
** Please note that the WC Gravel Cup will be run as a trail event for 2023. Depending of the popularity and
success of the series during the 2023 series, a permanent Western Cape Gravel cup and championships will be
introduced in the future **"

Interesting thanks, ok I only did one in that series and it was my worst result so makes sense 😅

CSA needs to pull finger… start by updating that poor website, and showing us the books for the 2023 season…