99er Cycle Tour 2024

K20Champ

1 minute ago, NicholasH said:

Hello all

I am Nicholas Haupt. Head of Operations for the 99er event and member the 99er EXCO as well as creator of the new 99er Trilogy which was launched today.

Any feedback and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism for us? We want to improve each year and this is usually a good place for feedback. 

PLEASE DON'T BASH AND ABUSE HERE. We would like to engage with the community in a positive way and are open to our shortcomings being highlighted but we do not need mudslinging. Helps nobody. 

Thanks very much 😁

Was well run thanks! My only grip is the start, some sort of enforced neutral zone until we are outside of Durbanville would be great.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

Hello all

I am Nicholas Haupt. Head of Operations for the 99er event and member the 99er EXCO as well as creator of the new 99er Trilogy which was launched today.

Any feedback and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism for us? We want to improve each year and this is usually a good place for feedback. 

PLEASE DON'T BASH AND ABUSE HERE. We would like to engage with the community in a positive way and are open to our shortcomings being highlighted but we do not need mudslinging. Helps nobody. 

Thanks very much 😁

Thank you for a superb day 👍👍

6 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

Hello all

Thanks very much 😁

The weather was much better, thanks for that :)
Also, more coke than last year, which was appreciated.

Also appreciated the bike marshals, felt a lot safer with them flagging down approaching cars.

I have no complaints.

7 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

Hello all

Thanks very much 😁

Honestly can’t fault anything tbh. Everything went perfectly today. 

A halal food option at the finish would be nice though. 

Will be keen to hear what thought behind stopping race while break is up the road to warn the entire bunch?

I felt bike marshalls were doing good job of keeping the massive $ group in line, yes there were riders straying over into on coming at times but the marshals were quick to get it back in line (from what i saw trying my best to stay within the first half of the bunch).

Is warning individuals riders not a better idea than stopping the group completely which could of easily ended the chance of pulling the break back.

3 minutes ago, babse said:

Will be keen to hear what thought behind stopping race while break is up the road to warn the entire bunch?

I felt bike marshalls were doing good job of keeping the massive $ group in line, yes there were riders straying over into on coming at times but the marshals were quick to get it back in line (from what i saw trying my best to stay within the first half of the bunch).

Is warning individuals riders not a better idea than stopping the group completely which could of easily ended the chance of pulling the break back.

Hi

I was in direct communication with commissaires Shumeez Dollie at the time. She felt the entire peleton was at fault and thus her actions. She said she gave repeated warnings and has video footage. I am waiting for her race report. Unfortunately we are subject to them WP cycling and thus complaints or objections have to go straight to them. I can only apologize if you feel it was unfair. Sorry 😕

15 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

Hello all

Thanks very much 😁

Hi Nick,

it’s my first 99er so I can t compare it to previous editions. I will suggest that the route through the residential area once turning off Adderly needs more careful consideration. I was in a race for the group win and got caught behind bakkies shlepping trailers and some hairy Whookie in a blue cycling shirt and peaked helmet who seemed to want to play chicken with the A+B group and cars. We need a clean run through to the finish climb for safety sake please. 
ride report to follow. Overall I thought the event was well run from start to finish. 

ps : the start herding to the pens needs to be smoothed out a bit. Lots of gravel to negotiate and many people hanging about in groups blocking the routes to the chutes 

PSs yes I was late

3 minutes ago, DieselnDust said:

Hi Nick,

it’s my first 99er so I can t compare it to previous editions. I will suggest that the route through the residential area once turning off Adderly needs more careful consideration. I was in a race for the group win and got caught behind bakkies shlepping trailers and some hairy Whookie in a blue cycling shirt and peaked helmet who seemed to want to play chicken with the A+B group and cars. We need a clean run through to the finish climb for safety sake please. 
ride report to follow. Overall I thought the event was well run from start to finish. 

ps : the start herding to the pens needs to be smoothed out a bit. Lots of gravel to negotiate and many people hanging about in groups blocking the routes to the chutes 

PSs yes I was late

Yeah, that gravel is a problem. However, we have many cyclists disobeying our marshals and doing their own which causes congestion. We will address for next year

The problem we have is that there is NO OTHER WAY to get to the finish if we do not turn right off Adderly....

A venue change maybe 🤔

27 minutes ago, NicholasH said:

... feedback ...

From an organisational standpoint it's difficult to see how it could be improved upon. Registration this morning a breeze, parking marshals fantastic, and route clear. A bit of a snarl-up where bicycles cross traffic at the Fisantekraal turnoff (bikes go right, some cars straight) but otherwise smooth sailing (oh, and a wider bridge down the line would be nice 😆).

Awesome event, deserves the praise and growth and honestly hats off to all organising folks and volunteers. It felt polished. 

2 hours ago, Mamil said:

This has to be the most slickly organised and executed event. The start is immaculate, enough porta pottys and toilets, parking a breeze, clear, precise and friendly marshalls organising people into start groups and all with a smile - very lekker.

Fast route, technical beginning and finish through the traffic circles which is all good. The absence of a large hill anywhere in the first quarter of the race makes for super large bunches and in the cross winds on the Old Malmesbury Road this made for some hairy moments and high risk riding. The bike Marshall looking after the main blob of D and some Es was excellent, firm, capable and vigilant but he had his hands full keeping people left of the line. I

'm amazed how many of us are willing to ride on the wrong side of the road on a blind rise just to hang on to an alphabet soup group. 

Somone came down directly in front of me as we crested one of the rollers, red kit - I rode over his back wheel - really thought I was going to join him for a lie down but by some fluke didn't - clipped back in and chased on.

Got dropped on the drag up to Adderly and then a burly gent by the name of Rudi towed me and some others back - what a beast Rudi is, clearly more than a 100kg of solid muscle - he didn't even look like he was trying but he must have been putting down some serious watts. 

Slower than last year thanks to the winds.

Lekker race - I enjoyed it - despite the risks

Came here to say this (well along these lines) 

Well put. 

*except for the 1 toilet I chose to use must have had a hole, so my crisp new shoes got a soaking before the start 😭

Edited by RossTopher
Added comment