Hippo at Cradle Moon (again)

RocknRolla

There is a Hippo that made it’s way back into the lake at Cradle Moon. 
Not sure if the owners are aware, they certainly made no-one aware of the fact that there is one on the premises. 
Photo by a school MTB group that was there this afternoon for a training session.

If you are riding there, perhaps steer clear of riding too close to the dam for now. 

PHOTO-2024-02-08-20-56-37.jpeg

There’s a whole family covering the territory. I’ve seen them multiple times. 

Hippo's have been at Cradle Moon for over 10yrs. You only have to look at their Facebook page for posts on the hippo's going back years

Plenty giraffe and buffalo/antelope there too. Also used to be a family of rhino there, on the red route side, apparently they were poached.

Some years back prior to the current owners, when it was Heia Safari. There was a resident hippo that was shot by the then owners/event organisers ahead of a triathlon.

Don’t know what it is with that place, always feels like there’s been sketchy **** since the beginning of time there. Regardless, a pleasure riding and exploring there. Plus the chipotle burgers are amazing, post ride beer and burger goes down like mother on fathers day (or vice versa)! Just don’t drink the water.

Edited by Danger Dassie

You’d have to be pretty unlucky for a hippo to come out of the water to chase you. 

Early evening and morning if it’s out of the water…different ballgame. 

The guys at Rietvlei dam paddle with hippos every day - crazy 

2 hours ago, ajnkzn said:

You’d have to be pretty unlucky for a hippo to come out of the water to chase you. 

Early evening and morning if it’s out of the water…different ballgame. 

The guys at Rietvlei dam paddle with hippos every day - crazy 

My many years of experience fishing amongst Hippos in the wild has taught me that they will give ample warning before charging or attacking.

Make sure you dont underestimate their speed, both in water and on land. But in general if you give them space, heed their warnings, you'll be fine. Just never become complacent.