Reopen Koeberg Nature Reserve

sierrrd

3 hours ago, mikkelz said:

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2024-02-12-nuclear-regulators-worrying-findings-cast-severe-doubts-on-koeberg-emergency-preparedness/

“Nuclear regulator’s worrying findings cast severe doubts on Koeberg emergency preparedness”

I don't think I'd feel comfortable riding there, knowing what I know now. 😅

It was/is fun for a ride in the past.

If there's an incident there it won't matter whether you're 1km or 100km away.

The whole of the greater Cape Town area is in its backyard.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some sections were unrideable due to flooding last time I was there. November 10 2023

Koeberg 1.jpg

Koeberg 2.jpg

Edited by Albatross
Additional info

• 2 weeks later...

KOEBERG NATURE RESERVE OPEN

Thanks for signing the petition everyone. The reserve is open as of today but there is some admin involved. I have not tested it myself but the manager of the visitor center has told me that you can come in via the R27 entrance. At the second building to the left you can apply for a permit between 14:00 and 16:00 on weekdays. This permit is issued instantly.

That's it. It's open. Thanks everyone! 🤙

That’s awesome, looking forward to hearing about the first brave people to go apply for that permit, I’m actually quite keen to try it this afternoon, wondering if one permit is enough for the whole family or at least just the kids.

Edited by Jbr

30 minutes ago, sierrrd said:

Thanks for signing the petition everyone. The reserve is open as of today but there is some admin involved. I have not tested it myself but the manager of the visitor center has told me that you can come in via the R27 entrance. At the second building to the left you can apply for a permit between 14:00 and 16:00 on weekdays. This permit is issued instantly.

Thats great news! My kids are going to be stoked. Thank you so much for your efforts @sierrrd.

I had a call with them this morning and you just have to fill out an A4 form, show your ID and then you get a permit for the year. The times are *** - I hope that will still change, by for example giving that power of authority to the security guys. But at least it's something. 

And you need a separate permit for your lightie, as far as I know at this moment. Someone of TableTalk is going to try it out today. If I know more, I'll let you know. I'm sure you can apply on behalf of your kids. 

Go try it out and show them that they didn't open it for nothing. 🤘

24 minutes ago, sierrrd said:

At the second building to the left you can apply for a permit between 14:00 and 16:00 on weekdays

(..)

you need a separate permit for your lightie, as far as I know at this moment.

They're really not making it easy, but it's worth a try ! 

My wife just went with the kids to get the permit. She said the lady says it's been busy - lots of applications.

Once you apply it should be ready in 1-2 days.

If you send someone, they need your actual ID and a photo of you. Kids don't need a permit as long as they're with an adult.

5 hours ago, sierrrd said:

I am now forced to change my opinion that online petitions are a complete waste of time, well done!!

22 minutes ago, JasonS said:

My wife just went with the kids to get the permit. She said the lady says it's been busy - lots of applications.

Once you apply it should be ready in 1-2 days.

If you send someone, they need your actual ID and a photo of you. Kids don't need a permit as long as they're with an adult.

That's good to hear. Was she able to apply on your behalf? Or must you go in person? 

1 minute ago, sierrrd said:

That's good to hear. Was she able to apply on your behalf? Or must you go in person? 

She couldn't because she only had a copy of my ID, but if she'd had my actual ID and a photo it would've been fine.

6 hours ago, sierrrd said:

That is fantastic news - really well done!! Thank you

14 hours ago, Shebeen said:

I am now forced to change my opinion that online petitions are a complete waste of time, well done!!

+1