Fox Kashima coating chip repairs?

Post a pic. 

How bad would you say they are?

Are they vertical or horizontal?

Can you feel it with your fingernail or with the skin on your ... finger?

Generall, mild scratches are no issue at all other than cosmetic. If they have a ridge you can take some 800 or 1000 or 1200 or higher wet/dry sandpaper and carefully wet sand the immediate area to remove any burr which may interfere wiht the dust wiper seals. Then firget the are there.

If they are deep...there are many ways to skin that cat, ranging from filling the scratch with nailvarnish and repeating above wet sanding, to simply replacing the whole stanchion.

You'll not be able to re-anodize them though. 

Kashima is overrated ITO performance (and looks IMO...even though I have it myself), so don't fear that a replacement stanchion is an "inferior product".

Boys at Stoke in CT and RBC in Gqeberha are the two I know who could replace for ya.

7 hours ago, Matthew___robertson said:

Hi all i need help i have a few small chips in my fox Kashima coating what can i do can i get them recoated or what?

I've Repaired with matt nail varnish. You can get a similar colour but I don't have the bottle anymore.

You have to use a very fine artists brush to spot it on. Came out perfect. Problem is finding the right colour. Start in the middle and work to the edges.

Edited by dasilvarsa

Not sure about this but I think TBR suspension, mainly dirt motorcycle oriented, in Hilton KZN may be able to re-apply or repair. I seem to remember it being mentioned on my last visit there. They ship suspension anywhere.

Not entirely sure about the extent of the damage, but it's a good idea to check with the companies that other hubbers have recommended first. However, another option you might want to consider is purchasing new uppers.

I haven't personally gone through this process, but a riding buddy of mine faced a similar issue not too long ago. He struggled to find a local supplier for the part he needed, so he ended up ordering from the USA, if I remember correctly. I believe he mentioned that the cost was around $350.

Getting the stanchion "patched" will be the cheapest way to go. Sendhit makes a kit for this task, but I don't think they have a Kashima colour option. Other option would be to get a new stanchion leg pressed in, though Fox don't sell them for any fork but the 40 so you'd end up with one black stanchion and one gold one. IIRC Robbies Bicycle Concept can do that job. The other option is a new CSU, as mentioned by @Dappere it is around $360 in the states and probably a fair bit more once it gets to SA. Getting the leg recoated will be basically impossible as there is only one place in the world that does it and it's all the way in Japan. Which brings me to the next wrinkle. Once the Kashima is damaged, it tends to flake off, so the damage will only get worse going forward.

Short term solution - nail varnish. Cheap to free.

Medium term solution - new Kashima CSU. May or may not chip again, I've seen some that do and some that don't. The smaller the stanchion the more likely it is to chip again. From what I've seen the flaking at the top is caused by the coating cracking due to flex rather than by impacts. Once it's cracked, water gets in and the rest is history.

Long term solution - black ano CSU. Bombproof.

Pricing will depend on stanchion diameter.

13 minutes ago, droo said:

Short term solution - nail varnish. Cheap to free.

Medium term solution - new Kashima CSU. May or may not chip again, I've seen some that do and some that don't. The smaller the stanchion the more likely it is to chip again. From what I've seen the flaking at the top is caused by the coating cracking due to flex rather than by impacts. Once it's cracked, water gets in and the rest is history.

Long term solution - black ano CSU. Bombproof.

Pricing will depend on stanchion diameter.

Fark that...rock one black and one kashima one. Uniqueness has no price 😘

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 12:11 PM, Headshot said:

I had no idea Kashima was so K@K . To be avoided at all costs by the sound of it.

it’s actually really good but i had a really bad crash (like really bad i broke right arm, my leg and right collarbone) and the Kashima held up really well just a few little scratches

1 minute ago, Matthew___robertson said:

it’s actually really good but i had a really bad crash (like really bad i broke right arm, my leg and right collarbone) and the Kashima held up really well just a few little scratches

Fark! Hope you heal up quick

On 2/12/2024 at 11:06 AM, Thermophage said:

Post a pic. 

How bad would you say they are?

Are they vertical or horizontal?

Can you feel it with your fingernail or with the skin on your ... finger?

Generall, mild scratches are no issue at all other than cosmetic. If they have a ridge you can take some 800 or 1000 or 1200 or higher wet/dry sandpaper and carefully wet sand the immediate area to remove any burr which may interfere wiht the dust wiper seals. Then firget the are there.

If they are deep...there are many ways to skin that cat, ranging from filling the scratch with nailvarnish and repeating above wet sanding, to simply replacing the whole stanchion.

You'll not be able to re-anodize them though. 

Kashima is overrated ITO performance (and looks IMO...even though I have it myself), so don't fear that a replacement stanchion is an "inferior product".

Boys at Stoke in CT and RBC in Gqeberha are the two I know who could replace for ya.

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 minutes ago, thebob said:

Fark! Hope you heal up quick

thanks yeah it was awhile ago so mostly healed but still can’t walk properly have to hobble around i have no clue how my frame didn’t crack 😂

Edited by Matthew___robertson

1 hour ago, Matthew___robertson said:

thanks yeah it was awhile ago so mostly healed but still can’t walk properly have to hobble around i have no clue how my frame didn’t crack 😂

Wow, that's really horrible, and real badge of honour stuff right there. 🙂