Thule Xpress 2 ball mounted bike carrier advice

Dirk93

Hi All

I'm hoping anyone might have some advice for me. I have a Thule Express 2 tow ball-mounted bike carrier. It works just fine but one issue is that it keeps swivelling on the tow ball. One of the wheels catches the wind an the carrier will turn so much that the other side of my bike hits my car and scratches it badly. I do not know if this is just because I have an XL bike, but pretty sure the carrier itself is not supposed to do that. 

Sounds to me like either the mounting cups or the Towball itself is worn down a bit. 

Is the rack well used? Brand new? 

I have a heavy duty hitch, that has a removable ball and pin coupling. I need to to tow agricultural trailers(firefighters etc) and it is safer for pulling vehicles out the mud(dairy farm, this happens monthly in summer). 

But the ball and pin rotate. Huge PITA with a bike rack though. I have 2 straps cut to length that I use to brace it, each goes round the bike rack frame and up over the bakkie frame and then it doesn't rotate. With them cut to length it takes like 2 extra mins to put on the rack.

1 hour ago, Dirk93 said:

Hi All

I'm hoping anyone might have some advice for me. I have a Thule Express 2 tow ball-mounted bike carrier. It works just fine but one issue is that it keeps swivelling on the tow ball. One of the wheels catches the wind an the carrier will turn so much that the other side of my bike hits my car and scratches it badly. I do not know if this is just because I have an XL bike, but pretty sure the carrier itself is not supposed to do that. 

I have the same carrier and XL bikes - never had this problem. Suspect, as Prego said, there's an issue with the ball or the carrier. I wouldn't be comfortable using a carrier that had movement in it. 

1 hour ago, PregoRoll said:

Sounds to me like either the mounting cups or the Towball itself is worn down a bit. 

Is the rack well used? Brand new? 

Thanks Prego, that is what I thought might be the issue. The carrier has been used a fair bit, but it has been like that from the start. I think it might be the actual ball of my towbar. 

I have tried taping the towball, sillicone tape for grip, etc. But the tuen still happens. 

11 minutes ago, BigDL said:

I have the same carrier and XL bikes - never had this problem. Suspect, as Prego said, there's an issue with the ball or the carrier. I wouldn't be comfortable using a carrier that had movement in it. 

Thanks, then the problem almost certainly sits with the tow ball itself. I asked Thule and their feedback was that the bike is too big and the carrier was not made for that, which surely is not the issue. 

Bike should not be too big. 

I would maybe try the rack on a friends car to rule out the tow ball itself.

I would also maybe take some brake cleaner and clean the ball. Often people over grease trailers(rentals especially) and it might be really slick/greasy from that?

I have the same issue - slightly older Thule Express but a brand new towball.

The turn does happen on a long / windy trip and not much you can do to stop it on the ball / carrier.

As per a post above, get a strap with a hook that goes into your boot and loop it over your wheel to stop the rotation. (Like the straps used for the boot type carriers for hatchbacks).

Or tape a pool noodle to wherever your bike makes contact on the car.

Or try to move your bike "forward" on the carrier so that both wheels are equally in the wind.

Or loop a strap over your roof bars (if you have) on whichever side is appropriate to stop the twist.

Personally never had this experience with the Thule Express 2.

the clamp of the bike rack has a perfect notched out portion and this keeps the rack from moving.

there are 3 pre-drilled holes for the hinge mechanism to add more clamping force. Mine is still bolted on the first set of holes. 

perhaps you could move the hinges to the next set of holes? Will post a pic later

IMG_5605.jpeg

Edited by JM Rides Bikes

Hi all,

Thanks for all the suggestions, it certainly is a massive help.

I am looking into a new rack in the coming months, but for now, your answers have been very helpful and I am grateful for the input. 

2 hours ago, Dirk93 said:

Thanks, then the problem almost certainly sits with the tow ball itself. I asked Thule and their feedback was that the bike is too big and the carrier was not made for that, which surely is not the issue. 

fair enough - haven’t heard that before. Mine regularly has my XL anthem and my road bike on with no issues, even in long trips. I wonder if speed plays a part. I seem to remember something about not travelling over 60mph with the carrier on.