Gravel bike/ repurposed road bike on a budget

NeoOne

I’m looking for advice re gravel bike or rather repurposed road bikes that can handle  jeep track and not-so-rough terrain. I can’t seem to search the Hub (see attached pic). Which brand of road bike can be modified with a gravel fork and some 750b wheels/ frame that can accommodate the gravel tyres required for a Race to the Sun type of event. 

I like Cannondale’s as a manufacturer own a two Evo’s, a CAAD 8 ( dedicated Zwift bike and candidate for modification BUT rear clearance can’t even do 28” tyres) and a 2016 Scalpel HM. At 2023 Race to the Sun I was dropped by everyone on a gravel bike as soon as we hit the tar and want to find a brand of bike that I can use as my gravel bike for 2024. 

I heard murmurs of an older model Specialized Roubaix circa 2012/3  will be fit for purpose. Which light <11kg road frame will get 32-34” (maybe 36”) rear tyre in? Which gravel fork can work well with such a hybrid? I will be fine with v brakes and not necessarily discs and am not fussed with Road or gravel components. We’ll just pray it doesn’t rain this year at 2024 Race to the Sun. I have lots of pretty smooth gravel roads where I live and does not need to be a gravel weapon. My budget is <R15 000. 

IMG_6508.png

Edited by NeoOne
Missed text for context and clarity

Trying to reinvent a gravel bike from an old road bike is going to cause you headaches in other areas, like rim strength and width, brakes, groupset etc - imo. Your budget is R15k, buy a second hand gravel and use it for what it was built. The below would be my choice, size and those things dependent obviously. image.png.5672825c129cd8898d039a4d9cd280b0.png

You have smooth gravel roads in the area, but the 2nd half of the R2tS is no easy ride, you'll probably be dropped on a converted road bike competing with gravel weapons. A hardtail with fast rolling tyres would be better suited, again all my opinion.

Edit: Sourcing the right gravel (carbon?) fork with the v-brake setup might be an issue, likewise you'll be very compromised with what you can run in the rear. Are you referring to 650lb wheels or 750d?

Edited by Rowl

49 minutes ago, Rowl said:

Trying to reinvent a gravel bike from an old road bike is going to cause you headaches in other areas, like rim strength and width, brakes, groupset etc - imo. Your budget is R15k, buy a second hand gravel and use it for what it was built. The below would be my choice, size and those things dependent obviously. image.png.5672825c129cd8898d039a4d9cd280b0.png

You have smooth gravel roads in the area, but the 2nd half of the R2tS is no easy ride, you'll probably be dropped on a converted road bike competing with gravel weapons. A hardtail with fast rolling tyres would be better suited, again all my opinion.

Edit: Sourcing the right gravel (carbon?) fork with the v-brake setup might be an issue, likewise you'll be very compromised with what you can run in the rear. Are you referring to 650lb wheels or 750d?

Agreed.. better off buying a gravel bike in your budget..