Heart rate monitors

12 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Some aloe vera gel works well to ensure a good connection between (dry winter) skin and HRM strap. Rinse off when back home and repeat the next time. Never missed a beat (pun intended).

Noted.

But I tested the transponder on a different strap and it worked perfectly.

So seems safe to say that the strap is faulty.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Thomo said:

So I ended up getting an H9 based on some of the feedback here as well as having voucher at a large wharehouse sports outlet where the options were Polar, Garmin and Wahoo.

3 months and the chest strap is dead.

Easy enough to swap I thought. 🤔

No, instead the whole unit must be booked in with +- 2 week turnaround.

Would have been happy to use transponder with one of my other straps in the interim but this was not an option. ☹

Interesting. My strap came apart and within 24 hours they had sent me a new one. This wasn’t from sportsman’s though, it was from the agents. 

On another note the Aliexpress replacement bands are really good and cost about R100. I’ve used them on wahoo and polar. 

1 hour ago, michaelbiker said:

Interesting. My strap came apart and within 24 hours they had sent me a new one. This wasn’t from sportsman’s though, it was from the agents. 

On another note the Aliexpress replacement bands are really good and cost about R100. I’ve used them on wahoo and polar. 

While I wasn't expecting 24hrs, 2 weeks seems excessive.

Anyway, it is what it is.

I'd have no issues trying a cheaper alternative if the Polar wasn't under guarantee ... in fact, I have one if they'd just let me keep the transponder while they have the strap checked. ☹

I use a Garmin pod/transponder Dual with a Wahoo strap, I make sure I wash it on a regular basis but it has been going for years now. I also had good results with Polar strap and Garmin pod.

9 minutes ago, Dexter-morgan said:

I also had good results with Polar strap and Garmin pod.

This has been my go to but the Garmin is an older Ant+ only transponder.

Needing a ble unit for indoor I went with the H9 hoping for similar hassle free strap performance.

I must also add, I revived my wife's Wahoo pod by opening the battery compartment and placing the whole unit in the HOT sun for a few hours then installed the battery the wrong way round for a couple of seconds then I installed a fresh battery, it is still working after 6 months after my "fix"

Had a Wahoo TICKR fail within a year. It never stopped reporting, but would be out by over 20%; either over or under. 

I also have TICKR FIT, which has been surprisingly good. Reviews complained about the poor strap quality etc, but I never had a issue. I simply don't use it anymore because I eventually upgraded my watch.  

On 3/4/2024 at 10:13 AM, Jensie said:

I have been using the Garmin V1 strap for a couple of years. No issues for me.
image.jpeg.6f559335703b5717e4bd0d03f1548a0a.jpeg

When I got my Garmin Edge 705 about 10 years ago, this HR strap was included. To this day I am still using that same strap.

Polar chest straps are well made and last, wahoo ticker arm/ankle strap is just as good

On 7/14/2024 at 2:32 PM, Thomo said:

So I ended up getting an H9 based on some of the feedback here as well as having voucher at a large wharehouse sports outlet where the options were Polar, Garmin and Wahoo.

3 months and the chest strap is dead.

Easy enough to swap I thought. 🤔

No, instead the whole unit must be booked in with +- 2 week turnaround.

Would have been happy to use transponder with one of my other straps in the interim but this was not an option. ☹

Happy to report that they under promised and over delivered.!
HRM is back - no need to guess how much I'm suffering on the IDT. 🤣