Don't Miss The New Limpopo MTB Stage Race In May 2024

News bot

The South African stage-racing community has a fresh challenge for 2024. Glacier by Sanlam in partnership with Dryland Event Management, organisers of the Cape Pioneer Trek and Tankwa Trek international stage races have announced the launch of the Glacier Waterberg Traverse Race. This solo-entry three-day event with a racing element, will take place close to Gauteng from 3-5 May 2024 and is aimed at competitive racers.  “As naming rights sponsor, we are extremely excited to have concluded a three-year sponsorship”, said Khanyi Nzukuma, CEO, Glacier by Sanlam. We launched the Glacier Waterberg Traverse in June 2023, a three-day team stage […]

View full article

So all the lodging already fully booked.
So your race entry is limited by accommodation.  I'll pass then.

Good luck.

20 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Good luck.

Seriously expensive considering there is no accommodation provided. Guess they wont be seeing my entry....  

8 minutes ago, INDABUSCHE said:

Seriously expensive considering there is no accommodation provided. Guess they wont be seeing my entry....  

Suspect its more aimed at high-end Glacier clients who will get sponsored entries + a few pros will be invited to give the event credibility.

If you notice the entry fee you are not the target market...

42 minutes ago, Spinnekop said:

Good luck.

I see there are tented options from R1,000 per person. 

Not a comment on the price or value offered on this event, but knowing how many riders don't use the standard supplied tents at many stage races it does seem sensible to split accommodation out like this... don't pay for something you're not using.

Screenshot 2024-03-04 at 10.35.36.png

Source: https://www.waterbergtraversemtb.co.za/enter-2/

I didn’t think the prices were too bad in the article. Even if you pay for tents, it’s still cheaper than Sani for the three days. 

So, without knowing the trails, but reading that they have some decent technical challenges (which are welcome), I don't consider the distances and ascent sufficient to be classed as a serious enough challenge for experienced and pro riders. Day 1 and 2 are just too short. Own tents are perfectly fine accomodation options, as long as no heavy rain/thundershowers occur. Good luck to all participants

On 3/4/2024 at 11:45 AM, BigDL said:

I didn’t think the prices were too bad in the article. Even if you pay for tents, it’s still cheaper than Sani for the three days. 

That's what I thought, and it's in an incredibly underrated part of the country. Props to the organisers trying something different and making an effort to serve the broader market of people looking for something different. 

1 hour ago, mrcg said:

So, without knowing the trails, but reading that they have some decent technical challenges (which are welcome), I don't consider the distances and ascent sufficient to be classed as a serious enough challenge for experienced and pro riders. Day 1 and 2 are just too short. Own tents are perfectly fine accomodation options, as long as no heavy rain/thundershowers occur. Good luck to all participants

The trails are sublime, and the nature of the terrain makes up for any apparent lack of distance/altitude gain.

Seriously expensive for what you get... this Glacier Treverse race / ride has always been expensive, even before they moved it to Summerplace. You can rather book a weekend, stay in great accommodation and ride the trails in your own time and pace. Summerplace is amazing mountain bike weekend destination, I have stayed there many times... and the riding even better.

Edited by Cyclingpilot
Spelling

This is what happens when the Glacier Waterberg Traverse is not also "presented by Biogen". Expensive