Spank VS Stans rims

Pieter1

Hey everyone.
I managed to put a nice dent in my Spank Oozy rim. 
I’m in Brunei at the moment and Stans is the easiest to get (Flow MK3) but if the Vibrocore rims are worth it I will go through the hassle. 
So that is my question. Spank Vibrocore or Stans Flow MK 3?

3 hours ago, Pieter1 said:

Hey everyone.
I managed to put a nice dent in my Spank Oozy rim. 
I’m in Brunei at the moment and Stans is the easiest to get (Flow MK3) but if the Vibrocore rims are worth it I will go through the hassle. 
So that is my question. Spank Vibrocore or Stans Flow MK 3?

Hi Pieter, I have had Stans MK3 wheels for quite some time now, maybe two years or so, and very happy with the quality and the price. I would definitely recommend Stans. Unfortunately I can't comment on the Spank rims.

I can't comment on Spank rims but Stan's rims are notorious for pulling spokes through the rim. I have the Arch Mk3 and they have pulled through. They were just put of the warranty period and I sent images to the agent and they wouldn't assist in any way even though it was a known flaw. I am not sure about the new Mk4 rims, but personally I would stay away from Stan's. My next rims will be WTB 

20240308_055339.jpg.879c6561edb9a4ac966ffda978190a34.jpg20240308_055344.jpg.37a3c4bfc6950d8b0b35e7e9af8ef34d.jpg

New mk4 has been fine (touch wood), although wheel builders seem reluctant to tension them up too much due to their older siblings bad reputation for cracking lol. So difficult to say i guess. 

1 hour ago, MORNE said:

New mk4 has been fine (touch wood), although wheel builders seem reluctant to tension them up too much due to their older siblings bad reputation for cracking lol. So difficult to say i guess. 

Wasn't there a post on Bikehub just the other day f an MK4 doing the same ?

Trying to find it but 

Spank! Had mine since 2017, and still running smooth.

Stans is crap.

I'm a massive SPANK fanboy

I find their rims build up easier and they work better with tires/tubeless systems.

The nipple cracking aside, they seem to offer a better product.

Stans are much like Campy in my mind, they are popular because they were brand leaders at the beginning, so people kept using them and recommending them well past their hey day while other companies caught up and surpassed them.

The traditionalist die hards will all nay say because 'they WERE the best and did so much for the sport' and 'their first 2009 tubeless rims were the BEST' etc....

Anyway, I'd make the effort to get the Spank, but I'm sure others will say otherwise

I also have a set of stans rims where the nipples pulled through the hoop..

I had a set of spank 395+ wheels, amazing wheelset, was super impressed with how low I could drop the pressure on the wheels. 

goodluck with the search

I would look at anything else except mk3 stan's. I had to replace my flow mk3 so many times that it was more cost effective going with carbon hoops on my new bike. 

Spanks are great, as mentioned before the Stans are known to pull through. Not a big fan of the Stans, they're also quite soft.

I owned a set of Spoon Trail 345s since around 2021 and they look pretty on the bike hanging on the wall and when I do go out to ride them they're very impressive. Maybe a bit heavy for marathon riding but then again, meh.

Im a biiiig Spank fan, had their Oozy hoops on my Cotic. I gave those things so much abuse and they kept asking for more

MK3 are rubbish IMO. MK4 are worth it if you can get them, but the Spank 395 would be my choice, all other things being equal.

DT EX511 are also worth a look if you can find them.

Thanks guys!! My bike is Spanked out. If they made drive trains, brakes and suspension my whole bike would have had spank on it. 
So it is settled. Will get the ball rolling. 
added a pic of the dent. Wonder if it is worth replacing even. 

IMG_2136.jpeg

Pic of the whole rim if that helps. 
there is no crack. 

6735EB46-4137-4A11-92D3-BDAB4A8B772D.jpeg

Edited by Pieter1

59 minutes ago, Pieter1 said:

Thanks guys!! My bike is Spanked out. If they made drive trains, brakes and suspension my whole bike would have had spank on it. 
So it is settled. Will get the ball rolling. 
added a pic of the dent. Wonder if it is worth replacing even. 

IMG_2136.jpeg

Show us some pics of the new ones 👀🥹