Cape Epic results explained ie DNS/DNF etc

Hi, hope someone can explain.

I've tried looking on the website but I can't find a legend anywhere. Some of the abbreviations I do understand though.

Hope someone can explain these to me

DNF = did not finish

DNS = did not start

BR = ?? (broken ribs?) lol

IF = ??? instant forfeit?

I'm looking at the results and I feel sorry for all those who had to abandon the race, and we're only on stage 2 now.

Found explanations:

DNF = did not finish

DNS = did not start

BR = Blue Board Rider

IF = Individual Finisher

Edited by abraham kamffer

3 minutes ago, Danger Dassie said:

From my experience, a blue board rider is someone who finished outside of cutoff but is allowed to start again the next day. Albeit if they miss the cutoff again, they're out. 

Correct they are non finishers but may start again and ride with.

18 hours ago, Zebra said:

I think Blue Board rider is rider allowed to continue WITHOUT a (withdrawn) partner.

Chris

That’s an IF = individual finisher 

1 hour ago, Danger Dassie said:

From my experience, a blue board rider is someone who finished outside of cutoff but is allowed to start again the next day. Albeit if they miss the cutoff again, they're out. 

Finished outside of cutoff or did not complete a prior stage but is fit enough to continue but is not eligible for a finishers medal . They have to stand around and watch others eat their ice cream

On 3/20/2024 at 2:28 PM, DieselnDust said:

Finished outside of cutoff or did not complete a prior stage but is fit enough to continue but is not eligible for a finishers medal . They have to stand around and watch others eat their ice cream

Feels a bit pointless to me to continue riding if you are not eligible for an official finish, but I guess if you paid all that money and is physically ok to continue then you might as well get your money's worth?

1 hour ago, Skubarra said:

Feels a bit pointless to me to continue riding if you are not eligible for an official finish, but I guess if you paid all that money and is physically ok to continue then you might as well get your money's worth?

I’m in the same head space as you. 
there are teams riding where one rider is a BR and the other an IF . They’re still riding together but fighting cut off everyday now. The BR is the ball and chain here so is this a selfish situation? 
should the IF be allowed to ride their own race and complete the course and get the best recovery opportunity? So now the IF is being slowly sink along with the already sunk BR. Sponsored entry so maybe there’s marketing condition that’s applied?

every situation is different but I’m in the headspace of giving your team mate the best opportunity to finish 

Edited by DieselnDust

• 3 weeks later...

Well i had that experience my partner finished outside the time during the 2022 hell. He got the blue board and i had the IF. The thing about that, is that all the epic team rules still apply, starring together, staying together and all that. The person with the blue board must abandon the race so you can truly be a solo rider.

We rode together at his pace all 5 days. So i got my finisher medal and he got nothing.