MTB sunglass colour

Jaco/

33 minutes ago, droo said:

The best MTB lenses I've ever used were the Adidas Prizm Trail. Dark enough for bright sunlight, light enough that you can see roots in foresty bits. Bought them after binning it too many times in old Tokai with standard Oakley brown lenses which were utterly useless in dappled forest conditions.

Currently on photochromic lenses which have been fine. Mostly using them to keep crud, bugs and sticks out of my eyes rather than light (I also do quite a lot of night riding), so my next pair will most likely just be clear.

You mean the Oakley Prizm Trail. For me the 36% light transmission will kill my eyes in full African sun. 30% Light transmission was already too much for me. It could work in Tokai, but I ride areas that are open and with some shade. Sweetspot for me is the brown lenses with 22% light transmission and a slight mirror. For Africa, Adidas got it perfect with the active silver lenses.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Mtbiker404 said:

You mean the Oakley Prizm Trail. For me the 36% light transmission will kill my eyes in full African sun. 30% Light transmission was already too much for me. It could work in Tokai, but I ride areas that are open and with some shade. Sweetspot for me is the brown lenses with 22% light transmission and a slight mirror. For Africa, Adidas got it perfect with the active silver lenses.

May have got the name wrong, the ones I had were definitely Adidas. I can't find them online anywhere anymore though.

3 hours ago, Mtbiker404 said:

I have never tried photochromatic lenses, I think they will not work very well for sun to forest transitions (too slow to change), and will probably not go dark enough.

They DO !!! 👍

Actually lent my set to a friend last week.  Late afternoon, going through forest sections, out INTO the setting sun, back into shade ....  Their reaction when they SEE it WORK is always priceless.

I leave home in the DARK, with these on, and keep them on for the ride.  Whatever the condition, the glasses adapt instantly.

7 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

I leave home in the DARK, with these on, and keep them on for the ride.  Whatever the condition, the glasses adapt instantly.

I've just found the one I have (D'Arc) dont go clear enough for dark morning rides.

@ R300 I just ordered myself a set of Rockbros with interchangeable lenses. Thanks to the link posted earlier.

I need to see better before sunrise.

22 hours ago, ChrisF said:

They DO !!! 👍

Actually lent my set to a friend last week.  Late afternoon, going through forest sections, out INTO the setting sun, back into shade ....  Their reaction when they SEE it WORK is always priceless.

My Adidas is old so I want to try photochromic since I don`t think I will find another Adidas Evil Eye for sale. I have not yet seen photochromic lenses that change to at least 22% light transmission and to a contrast enhancing brown tint? The other issue that photochromic can have is that the lenses have a shorter life-span.

Edited by Mtbiker404

1 hour ago, Mtbiker404 said:

My Adidas is old so I want to try photochromic since I don`t think I will find another Adidas Evil Eye for sale. I have not yet seen photochromic lenses that change to at least 22% light transmission and to a contrast enhancing brown tint? The other issue that photochromic can have is that the lenses have a shorter life-span.

I have not done the number crunching on these glasses.

Bought an entry level set (R700) at CWC about 4 or 5 years ago.  I managed to loose it a year later  (went back an hour later... by which time it already had a new home..).  Replaced it with exactly the same.

It works perfectly for me from cold dark mornings right through to full sunshine, including riding in and out forested sections.

My standard routine when I get home from a longer ride (more than an hour):

1. Wash the helmet padding (under a running tap, padding still in the helmet)

2. Wash the heart rate strap

3. Wash the glasses under the same running tap.  Dry with toilet paper

4. Clean the gummy-berry juice bottle

One minor scratch (from my fall last year).  For the rest the glasses are still perfect.

Had a long gravel ride in the rain last weekend and couldn't see anything through my wet Sutro Lites  (Prizm 24k - for bright conditions and great at that).

I might come to regret this, but I just ordered some SCVCN Photochromatic cycling glasses for R72 off Temu so let's see how it goes :) 

Edited by dexterdent

I have had a set of Rudy Project Rydon ImpactX Photochromics for 7 years and simply love these spec's.  They are not in daily use, but I use them on those endurance events where I will have to negotiate the transition of daylight to/from darkness.

Having been blessed with very sensitive, yet good, eyes I have to use lenses that provide proper protection against glare. I have found that dust deposits on the lenses does not affect vision in any significant way. The clean easy with running water and I do not use special wipes to dry them - toilet paper or hand towel does the trick (whatever is at hand), albeit not the ideal. I mentioned 7yr's in use since they are remarkably scratch-free which goes a long way in terms of lens longevity. I did a face plant after having them for 1 year and they were replaced without any issues.

Admittedly I do not have any experience with other photochromic brands, but I have to recommend the Rudy's. They have served me very well - and still continue to do.

Cheers

On 3/26/2024 at 12:16 PM, The Ouzo said:

I've just found the one I have (D'Arc) dont go clear enough for dark morning rides.

@ R300 I just ordered myself a set of Rockbros with interchangeable lenses. Thanks to the link posted earlier.

I need to see better before sunrise.

Give us a bit of feedback on the specs when you have tested them, please 🙏 

On 3/27/2024 at 11:35 AM, dexterdent said:

Had a long gravel ride in the rain last weekend and couldn't see anything through my wet Sutro Lites  (Prizm 24k - for bright conditions and great at that).

I might come to regret this, but I just ordered some SCVCN Photochromatic cycling glasses for R72 off Temu so let's see how it goes :) 

Well...considering I just used a Takealot voucher to get a pair for R500 i'd say you did great!😆

The short answer is that there is no such thing as a single “overall best” lens. The variety of lenses exist for a good reason.

I have three different sets of Oakley Sutros. Prizm low light, road, and black. Low light is for the 05h30 missions (even in pitch dark in the middle of winter), Road is for trail riding, and I use Black for road riding during the day.

One could argue that I should be using Prizm Trail instead of Road for the dirt (because duh, trail), but because most of the trails around CPT are wide open without tree cover these days, slightly darker is better for me.

Ocean glasses make a slightly tinted photo chromatic pair that work perfectly .I have had all the Rudy,s Adidas,Oakley .Now i only buy cheap ones that work at Cape union mart or ocean glasses at the surf shop or some of the golf course pro shops .Some of the best pairs were bought at cash converters .Photo chromatic layers only last about two years ,then they make bubbles or become opaque 

On 3/29/2024 at 8:14 AM, Jaco/ said:

On 3/29/2024 at 8:14 AM, Jaco/ said:

Got back from leave today and the glasses were waiting for me at work.

First impressions,

The frame at the top may be a bit low and a bit thick for road cycling, I'm thinking its going to get in my line of sight.

Changed the lenses and it seems a bit fidly, but it was my first time so maybe I'll learn how it works and it will get easier.

Will hopefully give the yellow lenses a test in the morning and report back here.

There is a reason these are so cheap, but the lenses dont seem to distort my view and seem pretty clear, so if they do what I need them to do then I'm happy, if they dont, well then they were not that expensive and if I land up not using them I'll donate them to one of the guys at work.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/3/2024 at 12:13 PM, The Ouzo said:

Got back from leave today and the glasses were waiting for me at work.

First impressions,

The frame at the top may be a bit low and a bit thick for road cycling, I'm thinking its going to get in my line of sight.

Changed the lenses and it seems a bit fidly, but it was my first time so maybe I'll learn how it works and it will get easier.

Will hopefully give the yellow lenses a test in the morning and report back here.

There is a reason these are so cheap, but the lenses dont seem to distort my view and seem pretty clear, so if they do what I need them to do then I'm happy, if they dont, well then they were not that expensive and if I land up not using them I'll donate them to one of the guys at work.

Some feedback for @Jaco/ after about 5 rides 

Bear in mind this is road bike usage

Fit

They sit very securely on my face, hardly ever need to make adjustments, even after hitting bumps and bunny hopping. This is something that annoys me with my D'Arcs.

Lenses

Only tried the yellow and the clear. Both are up to the task of what I need them for, and that is dark mornings. Both have clear good vision. I've been using the clear lenses the last few rides, and these rides have started a bit later and gone into sun up, its not bright sun yet, but even the clear lenses helped.

Coverage

As predicted the thick frame at the top is a bit of a visual impediment, not as much as I thought it would be though, but especially in the drops its there.

The lenses also dont wrap around alot, so a fair bit of airflow creeps in from the sides, great for cooling, but occasionally if I turn my head I'll get something flying into my eye. So it could be better. Not sure if I went for the larger frame if the lenses would be bigger perhaps.

For R300 they work just fine, I was not expecting great things, but the quality if good and for what I need them for (which is just dark winter mornings) they will do.

On 3/31/2024 at 8:52 AM, LazyTrailRider said:

The short answer is that there is no such thing as a single “overall best” lens. The variety of lenses exist for a good reason.

I have three different sets of Oakley Sutros. Prizm low light, road, and black. Low light is for the 05h30 missions (even in pitch dark in the middle of winter), Road is for trail riding, and I use Black for road riding during the day.

One could argue that I should be using Prizm Trail instead of Road for the dirt (because duh, trail), but because most of the trails around CPT are wide open without tree cover these days, slightly darker is better for me.

I can agree with this. I have the trail lens and I don’t think the lens was made for South African trails. In the US, they have loads of forest trails and I can definitely see this lens shining in that terrain but on our farms, we have too much open areas which means too much light is let in. Even the trail torch is slightly darker, but I’m not sure it’s quite dark enough for trails.

21 hours ago, Bub Marley said:

I can agree with this. I have the trail lens and I don’t think the lens was made for South African trails. In the US, they have loads of forest trails and I can definitely see this lens shining in that terrain but on our farms, we have too much open areas which means too much light is let in. Even the trail torch is slightly darker, but I’m not sure it’s quite dark enough for trails.

Also agree as I have used the D'Arcs photochromatic lenses for a long time now, maybe 7 years without any issues and they work well.  Only small negative is in very bright conditions, Karroo or white or pale sand dune type terrain which, luckily in KZN is limited. I don't really ride in the dark but can understand how it can be trickly when I have ridden in really low light they don't work 100%. They do tend to mist up on humid days as well but that is a glasses issue.

For very bright, bronze tint may be the best.