MTB sunglass colour

Jaco/

Hi,

What colour sunglasses to consider for MTB trails especially when theres some dark sections?

Thanks

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 minutes ago, Jaco/ said:

Hi,

What colour sunglasses to consider for MTB trails especially when theres some dark sections?

Thanks

I have the Oakley Prizm Trail Torch lenses; they're my go-to pair of glasses for winter and early mornings when it's darker outside.

I also have the Prizm Low Light lenses on another pair, but I prefer the Trail Torch lenses, especially for mountain biking.

Photo-chromatic will give you best of everything. Clear in the darker areas, dark when it gets bright. I dont have one (yet)

people like the Oakley trail torch. Its a rose tinted set (pun probably intended lol) i have a pair and really want them to be great at everything because they look awesome, but the truth is…they only really work at their best in high light conditions - but they do that one thing very good. Contrary to belief they are actually not for low light. Edit: They are meant to enhance color saturation and contrast, and do it better when there is medium - high light.

i also have a cheap knockoff set that are very dark with a cool filter. I prefer them at places like jonkers. Dunno why. 

TLDR: get a few different ones and switch them around like the fashion accessory they are😅

Edited by MORNE

For reference, this is what trail torch prizm looks like when its a bit grey outside (taken from a review) I tend to want to take them off in those kind of lower light conditions as they feel like they hamper my vision. 

IMG_1389.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

I have both photochromic and prizm trail torch lenses. The trail torches are great for day riding in shaded areas but the photochromic lenses are the best for low light e.g. dark overcast days or early morning / early evening. If I had to choose one it would be the photochromic lenses. They are the most versatile. 

That being said I have been quite disappointed with the longevity of Oakley lenses. The coating starts to peel after about 3 years of use. I have a set of Smiths that are still going strong after 10 years. It’s a pity because nothing beats the clarity of new Oakley lenses. 

16 minutes ago, michaelbiker said:

I have both photochromic and prizm trail torch lenses. The trail torches are great for day riding in shaded areas but the photochromic lenses are the best for low light e.g. dark overcast days or early morning / early evening. If I had to choose one it would be the photochromic lenses. They are the most versatile. 

That being said I have been quite disappointed with the longevity of Oakley lenses. The coating starts to peel after about 3 years of use. I have a set of Smiths that are still going strong after 10 years. It’s a pity because nothing beats the clarity of new Oakley lenses. 

I ordered some cheap chinese photo chromatics to try out. Also think they’ll become my primaries to be honest. I actually also don't mind the R200 ones. I’m not particularly gentle with sunglasses and i really baby the oakleys purely because they cost a penny. Its sucks because glasses get dirty from dust/sweat and it’s so easy to forget and just wipe…ending in scratches. Cheap ones i dont care and wash them off in rivers, wipe them with my shirt etc. When they resemble sandblasting i throw them away 😅. Also don't cry too much when i lose the cheapos, which i also do quite often haha.

+1 for Oakley Prizm lenses

I have a set of Jade Iridium Prizms in my Oakley Airbrake MX goggles, which I use both dirt bike riding, or when I wear a full face on the MTB.

My guess is the same would apply for their sunnies

Oakley AIRBRAKE MX OO7046 - Surf & Kite

The way the Prizm lenses highlight the contours in the trail, is awesome.

Here's a rough idea to the application of the different Prizm lenses. Based on this the Rose Iridium are the most versatile.

Oakley Airbrake MX Goggle - Moto Orange/Prizm Bronze - OO7046-A4 | BIKE24

As for actual MTB sunnies, I have some Adidas photochromatics, but I generally don't like wearing sunnies on bikes, so I use safety-squints in stead 😅

Edited by patches

I have never tried photochromatic lenses, I think they will not work very well for sun to forest transitions (too slow to change), and will probably not go dark enough. So I bought these (Adidas Evil Eye with Active Silver lenses) because of the contrast enhancing and middle-ground light transmission lenses. These are performing very well for mtb. Great contrast on trails and just somehow seems dark enough for in the sun and also enough light for in the shade. Also no transition to wait for. These lenses are great for mtb, but I think Adidas have stopped making it. I wonder if there are any other brand`s lenses that can compare:

adidas evil eye halfrim pro S crystal/black / a168 - 6078

13 hours ago, MORNE said:

For reference, this is what trail torch prizm looks like when its a bit grey outside (taken from a review) I tend to want to take them off in those kind of lower light conditions as they feel like they hamper my vision. 

IMG_1389.jpeg

IMG_1388.jpeg

I also looked at these but I felt these have too much light transmission at 35%-36% for full sun. It is strange that you say you don`t like these in lower light situations because with so much light transmission I felt that my eyes will hurt in full sun with these. My Adidas Active Silver lenses have much less light transmission than these but works great in lower light situations. I also prefer the more natural brown tint of the Active Silver lenses to the purple/red tint of the Prizm Trail lenses. 

So my opinion is that for SA conditions the best colour lens for MTB is a contrast enhancing, natural brown, with medium to lower light transmission 22-30%.

Just now, Mtbiker404 said:

I also looked at these but I felt these have too much light transmission at 35%-36% for full sun. It is strange that you say you don`t like these in lower light situations because with so much light transmission I felt that my eyes will hurt in full sun with these. My Adidas Active Silver lenses have much less light transmission than these but works great in lower light situations. I also prefer the more natural brown tint of the Active Silver lenses to the purple/red tint of the Prizm Trail lenses. 

They are weird. My eyes are very sensitive to bright light, to the point that im always squinting lol. But i find these perfectly fine on sunny days, where they take just enough of the glare off, but also do a really good job at giving everything more detail/contrast. They are just too dull in lower light (for mee), like everything just looks the same, so i ride without them then. This is why i think ill be happy with clear lenses on overcast days. Just need something to block the wind. 

13 hours ago, MORNE said:

I ordered some cheap chinese photo chromatics to try out. Also think they’ll become my primaries to be honest. I actually also don't mind the R200 ones. I’m not particularly gentle with sunglasses and i really baby the oakleys purely because they cost a penny. Its sucks because glasses get dirty from dust/sweat and it’s so easy to forget and just wipe…ending in scratches. Cheap ones i dont care and wash them off in rivers, wipe them with my shirt etc. When they resemble sandblasting i throw them away 😅. Also don't cry too much when i lose the cheapos, which i also do quite often haha.

I recently bought photochromic lenses from www.revureplacementlenses.co.za  . worth it and  completely happy with it. 

9 minutes ago, MORNE said:

They are weird. My eyes are very sensitive to bright light, to the point that im always squinting lol. But i find these perfectly fine on sunny days, where they take just enough of the glare off, but also do a really good job at giving everything more detail/contrast. They are just too dull in lower light (for mee), like everything just looks the same, so i ride without them then. This is why i think ill be happy with clear lenses on overcast days. Just need something to block the wind. 

My eyes are blue and don`t like sunlight at all. Sometimes I feel like a vampire because my eyes do not like any brightness at all. Previously I had the old version Oakley Golf lenses with 30% light transmission and a rose tint. I found these great for sunset MTB rides but 30% light transmission hurt my eyes in full sun. So I assume it will be even worse with the new Prizm trail lenses at 35-36% light transmission. My Active Silver lenses are 22% light transmission and somehow still work great in low light situations. I think the contrast enhancing brown colour does the trick to get this balance correct.

The best MTB lenses I've ever used were the Adidas Prizm Trail. Dark enough for bright sunlight, light enough that you can see roots in foresty bits. Bought them after binning it too many times in old Tokai with standard Oakley brown lenses which were utterly useless in dappled forest conditions.

Currently on photochromic lenses which have been fine. Mostly using them to keep crud, bugs and sticks out of my eyes rather than light (I also do quite a lot of night riding), so my next pair will most likely just be clear.