Don`t worry, I need fibre for work 🤣

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

44 minutes ago, quade said:

Married? Kids? How old are you?

We did an international move to Somerset West and live next to lourensford, they are restricted on days which is annoying...loads of other places to ride nearby 

Your season of life is an important factor for your choice 

I am 49 with no kids, only work and mtb. I just need fibre and good trails, but I would also like to buy a good house as an investment, preferably a new/ish house. I lived in Somerset West, it has great mtb riding, but it has become too crowded and city like for me. There is also no new housing developments there that interest me. I might still return to Somerset West, it has great trails, but I just want to explore smaller towns before I make my decision.

8 minutes ago, Mtbiker404 said:

I don`t have a life, I only have mtb. So it is the most important thing for me to consider. I just need fibre for work and good riding trails and a good house to buy for 3-4 bar. Thanks for the advice, I think I will go on a road trip.

I have 150 mbit up and down on frog foot back bone using fibre wireless with static IP in Somerset

If you don't have any family with you then the lourensford groups are a good place to network and join riders, you cannot ride alone there.

Plenty for 3-4bar I assume you don't need a 4 bedroom

Stellies is expensive but is a good investment

Good to be spoilt for choice !

1 hour ago, babse said:

Nothing really to add but what a nice problem to have 😅

Choosing a location to live based on available riding trails... Sounds like a dreamy situation. 

All the best!

Thanks for you perspective, I am stressing about where to live/buy. I should be grateful to have this choice.

1 minute ago, quade said:

I have 150 mbit up and down on frog foot back bone using fibre wireless with static IP in Somerset

If you don't have any family with you then the lourensford groups are a good place to network and join riders, you cannot ride alone there.

Plenty for 3-4bar I assume you don't need a 4 bedroom

Stellies is expensive but is a good investment

Good to be spoilt for choice !

I am an ex Scummerset Wester, I might return and flatten Lourensford again (go look for my climbing legs I lost there).

Check out Nooitgedacht Village on the outskirts of Skelmbosch. Close to all Stellenbosch and Bottelary Hills Conservancy trails and very close to the massive new Devonbosch Lifestyle Village currently being built which has its own 7km mtb pump track.

Edited by BuffsVintageBikes

10 hours ago, Mtbiker404 said:

I don`t have a life, I only have mtb. So it is the most important thing for me to consider. I just need fibre for work and good riding trails and a good house to buy for 3-4 bar. Thanks for the advice, I think I will go on a road trip.

Sounds like Hermanus is the place you looking for with that budget. If you have some patience you can buy a plot in Flamingo Bay(The Old Sonesta) and build something in a really special place that has access to Hemel en Aarde, Karwyderskraal and Kleinmond trails without putting a bike in a car.

Edited by OneLove

2 hours ago, OneLove said:

Sounds like Hermanus is the place you looking for with that budget. If you have some patience you can buy a plot in Flamingo Bay(The Old Sonesta) and build something in a really special place that has access to Hemel en Aarde, Karwyderskraal and Kleinmond trails without putting a bike in a car.

Thank you, I will investigate your recommendation. I did look at Sandbaai last year, but the area seemed slightly unsafe while I looked at houses. The army was deployed to calm taxi related violence. A not very good area is very close-by. But I will check out Flamingo bay.

14 hours ago, Mtbiker404 said:

In that case, welcome to Swellendam 😉

Great trails - which could literally start from your backyard! Excellent fibre from all major providers - Herotel, Openserve, etc.

EDIT: Suggest getting a gravel bike as well - great gravel roads in this area!

Edited by Smartie

33 minutes ago, Smartie said:

In that case, welcome to Swellendam 😉

Great trails - which could literally start from your backyard! Excellent fibre from all major providers - Herotel, Openserve, etc.

Thank you, I will look for houses there now. Yes, Swellendam looks like it can work for me.

16 hours ago, Prince Albert Cycles said:

Don’t move to Prince Albert allready too many people here to my liking 😇

you sound like a textbook recent inkoper!

15 hours ago, Mtbiker404 said:

cool, that's more context! enjoy the roadtrip.

You have to WANT to live in a smalltown and then be ready for the local smalltime bull#$it that comes with everyone knowing everything. I know people who moved heaven and earth to go into a smalltown(brilliant option mentioned here). it didn't work out and they're back in CT.

karoo probably not an option, but these two journalists have written loads of articles and books on small town living. go to the charity shop and get 20 copies of Country life magazine for R3 each, they don't date much. 

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2023-11-22-thinking-of-moving-to-small-town-sa-look-before-you-leap/

35 minutes ago, Shebeen said:

cool, that's more context! enjoy the roadtrip.

You have to WANT to live in a smalltown and then be ready for the local smalltime bull#$it that comes with everyone knowing everything. I know people who moved heaven and earth to go into a smalltown(brilliant option mentioned here). it didn't work out and they're back in CT.

karoo probably not an option, but these two journalists have written loads of articles and books on small town living. go to the charity shop and get 20 copies of Country life magazine for R3 each, they don't date much. 

https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/article/2023-11-22-thinking-of-moving-to-small-town-sa-look-before-you-leap/

Yes I need to be sure that a small town is really for me. I would like to live close to a good woolies food shop. This makes Swellendam a bit less attractive. I need good nutrition or else Nino and Matt will leave me behind.

Just stay in Somerset, what else do you want? Your property here will just increase in value. We have Lourensford, Winelands and Jonkers is a stone throw away. We also have an abundance of restaurants and wine farms and the best woolies in South Africa "waterstone". You can visit all the small towns anytime.

Currently my options are:

1. Somerset West

- excellent mtbing

- house purchase options limited

2. Outeniquasbosch

- smallish isolated area to ride in, 35km far from other trails

- the best option to buy a house of all the options

3. George

- better/more mtbing than Outeniquasbosch, but not as great as Somerset West

- good house purchase options, but seems slightly far away from the trails

4. Swellendam

- excellent mtbing

- very small town with no great new options for houses, no woolies food

I will go to George and Outeniquasbosch soon to have a look/rip some trails.

12 minutes ago, Mtbiker404 said:

Yes I need to be sure that a small town is really for me. I would like to live close to a good woolies food shop. This makes Swellendam a bit less attractive. I need good nutrition or else Nino and Matt will leave me behind.

What Swellies does have in this regard is a Checkers and Spar, both were recently refurbished and then a new PnP opening by the end of this month.

You like cheese and other diary? This is your place, Lactalis and La Mont, etc have you covered. Meat, get to know the people and find out where they source what. The one area I found lacking/expensive was fruit, but The Earth Centre has you covered.

Take a trip and ride the trails before you make any moves. Ride the gravel and road as well (great options on both).

I'm obviously also biased, but shoot a questions if you have.