Best MTB towns in the Western Cape

19 minutes ago, ChrisF said:

Golf estates

Big shopping malls

Actually a very nice setup they have there.

No longer "platteland" ....

Nee sak Sarel. There is one mall now, and I won't call it a big one. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

27 minutes ago, NickGM said:

A few months ago I got a puncture (in my car, not bike) at the top of Swaartberg pass in the evening. I change to the spare, drove back down to Prince Albert and grabbed a beer at the lazy lizzard (I think that's it's name). The next morning I drove to some tyre replacement spot off the main road. It was about 7:45am and the mechanic said "I've been expecting you". I asked how on earth that could be true and he said he cycled past my car the previous evening while I was parked at the Lizzard and saw I had a replacement wheel. Within 15 minutes he had fixed the puncture, put the old wheel on and charged me something like R90. I felt like I was robbing them so I bought some home-made rusks while I was there. I was expecting to have to limp along to oudtshoorn to a tiger wheel and tire and wait around a few hours, but instead I was back on the porch of my BnB by 8:15am, dunking a rusk in my coffee and admiring my car's 4 matching wheels. 

On another evening, a few years ago, I was at one of the nice restaurants on the main road. I heard a rather difficult overseas visitor at the table next to me ask for "Baked Beans on Toast - because that's just what I feel like". It wasn't on the menu and I could hear the stress in the waiter's voice, but a few minutes later I saw someone from the kitchen staff run out into the night and return a bit later, presumably with baked beans because the guy got his wish. I returned to the same restaurant on the more recent trip and, low-and-behold, they had added Baked Beans on Toast to the Dinner Menu.  

So if you want people to stop moving there you must stop being so flippin nice!

Or maybe time to adopt the "Montana" approach after everyone fell in love with movies like "Legends of The Fall" and "A river runs through it":

image.jpeg.0d76830288147c01f19ff0822840b9b7.jpeg

Next visit, have a serving of the apple pie at Lazy Lizzard

15 minutes ago, Paul Ruinaard said:

You need to probably listen to the comments above about other criteria however no one seems to be mentioning Paarl. FWIW you have access to everything and more in the area. I have been here for 18 months and continue to discover more trails. 

Paarl is often overlooked but its 3 x the size of Stellenbosch and has all the access to the major trails nearby never mind most of the trails that everyone rides.

FWIW The Boland is much more friendly than CTN itself so if you enjoy a small town vibe its really a great place. Stellenbosch, Paarl, Franschoek, Wellington etc all in the same winelands area. Somerset West around the corner. Tulbagh etc up the road. Durbanville and Tygerberg withing riding distance.

The list of trails and trail destinations is as long as my arm. Banhoek, PLasir, Jonkers, Paarl Mountain reserve , Wellington - pick your poison. these are just front of mind now.

I suggest you go have a lok at a Strava heat map to get an idea. 

FWIW theres a lot more in the towns as well. But R 3 to R 4m will buy you a nice little place in any of these towns. Winelands wrt food, drink and coffee shops - next level.

If mtb trails are your nr 1 priority (and woolies foods nr 2) - with respect to the other options -  I don't know why you would even bother to look outside the Somerset-West/Durbanville/Paarl Winelands "triangle".

More trail networks in the wider area than you would be able to ride in months even if you tried. And if you can't find a neighborhood that is quiet/rural enough for your liking you are not trying.

9 minutes ago, PhilipV said:

Nee sak Sarel. There is one mall now, and I won't call it a big one. 

Nou nie n goeie storie met feite opvoeter nie .... 😛

(dont mess up a good story with facts)