Which rim brake carbon wheels to buy?

Ncayi

Are the following options any decent and what else could I get at a similar price point.

Token C45 Resolute: weight 1555g

They are listed R25k at Evobikes but I can get them for R12k at Merlin Cycles (excluding shipping and vat). Weight limit of 100kg might also be to close for my liking.

Screenshot_20240519_205938_Chrome.jpg.0716596ca5086041adceabc4f9184694.jpg

SRT C55: weigh of 1621g

Screenshot_20240519_204841_Chrome.jpg.1bdabc8db8a762dfb4b1c83b5b36a0d4.jpg

Black Marlin 50mm: 

Screenshot_20240519_201533_Chrome.jpg.29714beb422454e1db04911dfca7f59b.jpg

Winspace Lun Hyper 2023 45/50mm: They retail for R29k

Screenshot_20240520_091212_Chrome.jpg.8e8ac95782282d505ca194cdad0d0c1d.jpg

Are there any better options?

Edited by Ncayi

My 2c... being a rim brake bike fan. For 60K you can pick up a top tier, top spec bike from roughly 2018 - 2020. (Just before rim brake bikes started dying).

You see Sworks SL6 rim brake, Bianchi Oltre XR4 and XR3 as examples going for that sort of budget. They will have top tear mecahnical groupsets and some even with electronic. Some VERY VERY good deals around if you look and wait fot the right one. Bikes mentioned above that would have retailed between 150k - 200k new back then, for between 60k - 80k currently. Yes its "old tech" but damn they are good racing bikes.

Personally would rather have a top tier bike from a few years back than a mid tier current bike. 

Enjoy the shopping.

8 minutes ago, wattnow said:

being a rim brake bike fan. For 60K you can pick up a top tier, top spec bike from roughly 2018 - 2020.

That was my plan and in all honestly thats still my first preference. But I have had no luck searching online. 

And if a brake disc bike comes along that's a good deal, would you go for it ?

32 minutes ago, Ncayi said:

That was my plan and in all honestly thats still my first preference. But I have had no luck searching online. 

19 minutes ago, CARANXCycleMobile said:

And if a brake disc bike comes along that's a good deal, would you go for it ?

Yes, I am willing to consider disc brakes bikes as well. I can always upgrade my current rim brake bike later.

Edited by Ncayi

• 4 weeks later...

I intially started this thread to request advise on a couple of bikes I was considering buying. I have since opted to build a rim break race bike using a Giant TCR Advanced as a canvas. The bike is almost complete and I am just trying to decide on which wheels to buy. I would appreciate any input.

21 hours ago, Ncayi said:

I intially started this thread to request advise on a couple of bikes I was considering buying. I have since opted to build a rim break race bike using a Giant TCR Advanced as a canvas. The bike is almost complete and I am just trying to decide on which wheels to buy. I would appreciate any input.

Look at the Salt Carbon range. "Affordable", excellent quality and full back up service.

Contact Reon @Sportopia Cycles for the best advice and service.

21 hours ago, Ncayi said:

What are you looking to spend on wheels ?
The range is very wide...

10 minutes ago, splat said:

What are you looking to spend on wheels ?
The range is very wide...

Im not prepared to spend more than 30k. If i can get good quality wheels cheaper that leaves room for me to also get a cheaper set for training

Edited by Ncayi

Direct mount rim b r a k e s are better because they can accommodate bigger / wider tyres. I would definitely only look at direct mount frames,  and also avoid any bike with a rear b r a k e calliper located under the bottom bracket. 

54 minutes ago, Ncayi said:

Im not prepared to spend more than 30k. If i can get good quality wheels cheaper that leaves room for me to also get a cheaper set for training

That is quite generous.
A few good options listed above.
Have you looked at Dark Horse wheels?

Edit: Jensie beat me to it!

Edited by splat

Winspace has been good to me thus far from a performance POV. I bought a Hyper 47 pair for the road bike and a 38mm gravel pair for the second bike. Highly recommend you check them out. 

ceramic bearings, carbon bladed spokes - 25k mark 

A friendly word of advice, do not go hookless. Do your own research:) 

Edited by MORNE1102

Obviously I'm going to chime in and remind you that you can have a custom wheelset built with your choice of rims, hubs and spokes.

For example, I can build a wheelset with Hope RS4 hubs, Nextie rims and bladed Pillar spokes, for around R24k, delivered nationwide.

DSC_2181.jpg

1 hour ago, Jensie said:

One option is the Darkhorse wheels.. Realy great price for what you get and you can get them custom made with ceramic bearings.

https://darkhorsewheels.com/product/dh-38-50-ctr-wheelset/

Ceramic bearings are snake oil and offer no benefit over decent quality steel bearings, at all.
Don't waste your money.

Rather buy better quality hubs :)