Winter / cool weather clothing.

Leon O

With winter approaching, I would like to know, which type of winter clothing you wear? I am looking to get a gilet, (Anatomic) but looking for something not too hot, but which protects against colder Western Cape weather. Or would a vest type undervest be more effective?

Mr Price has awesome body-hugging vests that I wear as a base layer under cycling shirts. The sleeveless version works best for cycling. 

Agree on the above, the base layer particularly important where you want something to wick sweat away from your skin, in fact, I wear a base layer all year round.

I found investing a  proper winter jacket is great, but they are damn pricey. I try to pick them up on Black Friday specials or overseas specials e.g. Merlin.

I retain a lot of heat and find that a gillet is great as it keeps the chill off your chest and kidneys, but is not too hot.

Especially in the Cape when it can get wet, take care of your hands and feet.

These sort of toe caps work wonders. Not the full shoe cover which gets hot, but just enough to stop your toes freezing and keep the water out when they take you across streams on MTB races.

https://www.castelli.co.za/products/castelli-neoprene-toe-thingy-2-black

Then decent winter gloves.

https://www.castelli.co.za/products/castelli-entrata-thermal-glove-black

I am only listing these as examples, there are many other less expensive options, but good winter gloves and toe caps have lasted me over 5 years and they change riding in Cape winters so, so much.

Edited by Baracuda

My only suggestion regarding Gilet is that i prefer a Gilet that is near-wind-proof on the FRONT, but heaps of VENTING on the side, or back, or a bit of both.

The (human) back is a LARGE sweat area, and the wind MOSTLY comes from the front, so high venting around the back works wonders, for me, YMMV.

41 minutes ago, ewep said:

Merino Wool for a base layer.  A huge "EUREKA" moment for me.

From where though?

42 minutes ago, cadenceblur said:

From where though?

I bought a a few normal merino t-shirt (80% wool) and I find them better than other base layers.

Apologies - look at outdoor shops.  Outdoor Warehouse or Cape Union.  They are not cheap but worth it!  Read up on wearing them.

Edited by ewep
I never answered the question.

54 minutes ago, ewep said:

I bought a a few normal merino t-shirt (80% wool) and I find them better than other base layers.

Apologies - look at outdoor shops.  Outdoor Warehouse or Cape Union.  They are not cheap but worth it!  Read up on wearing them.

Thanks , aware of the excellent temperature regulation of merino but where to find is the issue, I have a CIOVITA merino blend jersey and it’s excellent but I see they no longer have any base layers at present.