Cape Town non motorised transport plans

Shebeen

couldn't find a relevant topic that isn't archived. @Hairy welcome to explain it all to us.

you can find this here

https://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/Have-your-say/Issues-open-for-public-comment/proposed-construction-of-nmt-infrastructure-woodstock/Proposed construction of NMT infrastructure - Woodstock

be7f8bbc-4e38-f02c-2bd1-192fd7d1a799.jpeg

It's a lot of drawings, from what I can see it is only lines painted on the road, but haven't gone through it all.

image.png.996d31612f977cdac52925654ec5ec41.png

interestingly it is not just woodstcok/obs.

other sections in the planning stages and open for comment:

robert sobukwe

pinelands

"northern areas"

find them all here

https://www.capetown.gov.za/City-Connect/have-your-say/issues-open-for-public-comment?L1=Issues open for public comment

I wholeheartedly support the city’s initiative to expand non-motorized transport (NMT) infrastructure in the mentioned areas. However, as others have pointed out, I am concerned that the uptake of these improvements might be limited if cyclist and pedestrian safety is not adequately addressed. It’s essential to recognize that this initiative goes beyond merely keeping cyclists off the roads; the ultimate goal should be to create a safer and more efficient transportation system for everyone.

The specific section between Paarden Island and town has repeatedly demonstrated the challenges faced when implementing cycle lanes. Despite the initial investment, these lanes often become encroached upon by vagrants and criminals, rendering them ineffective. If people fear for their safety while using these facilities, they will opt for alternative modes of transportation, defeating the purpose of the infrastructure.

To enhance the success of this project, I recommend that the city not only focus on physical infrastructure but also invest in a comprehensive security plan. This plan should ensure safe passage for pedestrians and cyclists along the west coast cycle path. By addressing safety concerns, we can encourage more people to use these facilities, ultimately reducing the number of cars on the roads.

6 minutes ago, Robbie Stewart said:

I wholeheartedly support the city’s initiative to expand non-motorized transport (NMT) infrastructure in the mentioned areas. However, as others have pointed out, I am concerned that the uptake of these improvements might be limited if cyclist and pedestrian safety is not adequately addressed. It’s essential to recognize that this initiative goes beyond merely keeping cyclists off the roads; the ultimate goal should be to create a safer and more efficient transportation system for everyone.

The specific section between Paarden Island and town has repeatedly demonstrated the challenges faced when implementing cycle lanes. Despite the initial investment, these lanes often become encroached upon by vagrants and criminals, rendering them ineffective. If people fear for their safety while using these facilities, they will opt for alternative modes of transportation, defeating the purpose of the infrastructure.

To enhance the success of this project, I recommend that the city not only focus on physical infrastructure but also invest in a comprehensive security plan. This plan should ensure safe passage for pedestrians and cyclists along the west coast cycle path. By addressing safety concerns, we can encourage more people to use these facilities, ultimately reducing the number of cars on the roads.

Thanks for pointing this out @Shebeen

I've submitted my comments via the link (I know many hubbers see this as useless but I will do it until I'm blue in the face) and they echo EXACTLY what Robbie has stated. 

I've suggested they create an NMT Security outfit to patrol these lanes 7 days a week. This will protect the investment, encourage further usage and create a decent amount of jobs. 

A quick look at some of the plans and sections.

• Great improvements for cyclists
  • more integration of dropped curbs is excellent allowing older people, and or people with mobility issues to cross side streets
  • better pedestrian crossings
  • traffic calming measures around some sections
  • improved or rehabilitated sidewalks to the higher pedestrian zones

All in without studying it properly the proposal is good for NMT.

6 minutes ago, Hairy said:

A quick look at some of the plans and sections.

• Great improvements for cyclists
  • more integration of dropped curbs is excellent allowing older people, and or people with mobility issues to cross side streets
  • better pedestrian crossings
  • traffic calming measures around some sections
  • improved or rehabilitated sidewalks to the higher pedestrian zones

All in without studying it properly the proposal is good for NMT.

all good.

I still think this cycling intersection on Liesbeeck parkway is the worst part of cycling infrastructure in the city. Which is why no one uses the bikelane there. 

https://www.google.com/maps/@-33.9438891,18.4765935,3a,75y,55.99h,91.52t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1scYjst_Vso3e-VTwcfaZ3_A!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

I posted about this in the Cape Town Danger Areas topic, and the responses quickly degenerated into "this is blatent electioneering", so I gave up trying to reason.

In my view, there's no harm in going to the site, filling out the form saying "I support this" and hoping that maybe in 2 years time you won't have to dodge trucks on every road ride.

The other areas being proposed:

Edited by MongooseMan

I have not used the cycle lane through Paardeneiland for a long time, curious to know if that metal cage erected by a business in the middle of the cycle lane close to the one Mycity Bus stop, is still there. 

44 minutes ago, Wannabe said:

I have not used the cycle lane through Paardeneiland for a long time, curious to know if that metal cage erected by a business in the middle of the cycle lane close to the one Mycity Bus stop, is still there. 

That section is so notorious, i doubt you will get a confirmation here. 

However, I think the metal cage did make an appearance in that German guy's video about the bike lane a couple of months ago. What I do recall for sure was that there was a section where he needed to get off his bike and the cycle lane altogether because one section had scaffolding erected in the lane by one of the businesses along the route. 

Can't even be mad at the business in question. They surely know that the bike lane is truly deserted by now. 

Edited by Spinnaroonie

1 hour ago, MongooseMan said:

I posted about this in the Cape Town Danger Areas topic, and the responses quickly degenerated into "this is blatent electioneering", so I gave up trying to reason.

In my view, there's no harm in going to the site, filling out the form saying "I support this" and hoping that maybe in 2 years time you won't have to dodge trucks on every road ride.

The other areas being proposed:

oops - thanks. I actually went to page 20 of the forum listing to find the right topic, the pinned one at the top was where it was!

I don't fully disagree with a lot of what is being said there, while I don't think this is an election ploy (NMT plans are probably unpopular on balance, car drivers f#$$ing hate cyclists and are in the majority) they definitely can do more to make their ideas work on the ground.

I support NMT initiatives wholeheartedly.

I think it should be compulsory for the people who design them to use them. That is to ride to work on them. To wheel an aged mum in a wheelchair across woodstock.