Thule 2 Bike tow bar rack

myhero

Hello

I have been using my Thule 2 bike two bar rack for some time now and have always wondered if it is legal, because it partially obstructs by rear number plate.

I've never been stopped in Cape Town, but since relocating  to Gauteng I’m concerned that I may be stopped.

Even if I add an additional unobstructed rear plate, I wouldn’t know where to place it.

Any advice? Tks

Don't all Thule tow bar racks make provision for a numberplate? Should ... 

Picture of yours? Put the numberplate between the two individual tail light clusters, some tail lights will have a clear lens facing inward providing light, others will have a dedicated numberplate light. 

Oh, maybe one of those your-bike-hangs-from-something racks? Probably doesn't need a light/numberplate then.

Edited by tinmug

5 minutes ago, tinmug said:

Don't all Thule tow bar racks make provision for a numberplate? Should ... 

Picture of yours? Put the numberplate between the two individual tail light clusters, some tail lights will have a clear lens facing inward providing light, others will have a dedicated numberplate light. 

I don’t think this model does

https://thulestore.co.za/thule-xpress-2-bike-carrier-970003

If the Swedish police thinks it's legal, it will be legal in South Africa (otherwise Thule won't sell it here). 

your number plate has to be unobstructed. Thule sells a number plate holder that is held on wih Bungie cords or you can get a generic from Midas.

it looks like this

Thule Bike Racks Light Board

Edited by DieselnDust

Thule have a light/plate board that you can place on your rack although lights are not the issue. Out Centurion/Pta side the cops do on occasion enforce the law especially out BigRed Barn side been stopped a few times they will camp outside a race venue and pull people over just for the plate obstruction. 

If you have one of those hanging racks which I'm assuming you do given the question 

Then take off the two black caps at the end of the arms and put two m5 bolts through with some super glue and then wing nut the license plate in place.

Easy to remove and about 50 bucks ex the new plate 

I've never had an issue with mine. I have exactly the same one. I guess they could give me grief if they wanted to. Maybe I've been lucky.

never used to be an issue, but then the cops in the dorpies on the way down to CPT wised up and now WILL stop you if you dont have a plate. They will even turn their car around and follow you to check.

8 minutes ago, The Ouzo said:

never used to be an issue, but then the cops in the dorpies on the way down to CPT wised up and now WILL stop you if you dont have a plate. They will even turn their car around and follow you to check.

Those dorpies need to generate an income somehow. If the speed trap didn't get you when you were 5km out then plan B. 😆